TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:12 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New XFi owner
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:06 am 

Been trolling around these boards for a few months reading up on Metros. I have a 97 metro LSI(4cyl auto) :cry: and now a 94 Geo XFI :D

The car is a rust bucket but seems to be mechanically strong. So far i've done routine maintenance items. oil change,rear wheel bearings, and a whole new exhaust. I still have to replace a bad o2 sensor though(1 wire ). Anyways 200miles into this car I'm pleasantly surprised still have half a tank of fuel and its quicker then the 97 turd o matic 4cyl. Outside of the rot are there any glaring problems I should be looking for with this XFI? EGR port wasn't blocked when I had the exhaust manifold off and no codes for that anyways. What trans fluid are most of you running? Anything special with these transmissions I should watch for?

94 GEO METRO PARTS FOR SALE EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!!
94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

Post subject: Re: New XFi owner
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:45 am 

Sweet no replies :huh: I'm looking to maximize the fuel economy on this thing.

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:12 am 

yes, I am also fairly new to this site. I have a 97 lsi ( 4 cyl, auto) im getting 40 mpgs out of it. I started a link awhile back asking how to start a online fuel log, and some other odds and ends. But I also have got no responses. It seems people can fill pages aguing over heavier and lighter flywheels and magnets. But nothing on something the average man wants.

Last edited by guitarterry on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:59 am 

This site doesn't have a gaslog feature, if you want to set one up there are other sites like ecomodder.com that have a gaslog.

As far as what to do with your car first thing is run a tank or two out of it and see what kind of mileage it is getting. If you are easy driving it you should be around 49-53mpg. Once you get a baseline mileage then you can start doing mods and you will know if your changes hurt or help your mileage.

There are lots of mods that can be done to improve the mileage the easiest is to change driving styles but there are a lot of other things you can do to modify your car as well if you don't want to change driving styles. This site has lots of technical info but as far as modifying a car for mileage it is kind of lacking compared to sites like ecomodder and the like.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:24 am 

Well I've had the car for 3 weeks now. First week was spent in the garage on jack stands. I have 300 miles on the tank and the guage is hovering around 1/3 tank still. This guage is really finicky. It'll move around alot in turns etc. If its anything like my 97 I might still have half a tank of fuel left. I know with the 97 when I get into the red i still have 2-3 gallons left of fuel. Are all Metro guages like this? I'm hoping so this pig might be already getting 50+mpg.

Update changed the plugs,wires,rotor,cap,o2 sensor(SES),and trans fluid. I couldn't find any syncromesh so I settled on valvoline 80/90W. So far shifter feels has drastically improved stiffness is damn near gone now. The 1-2 shift is a little crunchy I've been taking it easy though shifting with the cars shift indicator, putting around town in 5th etc. I do need brakes though :shock: I'm going to wait til they're toast then do front wheel bearings while I'm in there. My work stocks all the wheel bearings so i have a nice stock of them now.

How much crap is in the doors on the 94's? My doors seem rather heavy compared to my 97. I know they are bigger but it feels like there are bricks in there or something.

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:25 pm 

thinkmoto wrote:

Dude, you only gave people 1 day to reply. Impatient much.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:59 am 

dunhamjr wrote:
thinkmoto wrote:

Well dude with all the traffic i've been seeing in the fuel economy sections and being that these cars are known for good economy I figured folks would be chiming in alot on the subject. I was wrong so does that make me impatient? I don't think so. Does your comment make you look like a internet tool? I think so :stfu:

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:25 pm 

thinkmoto wrote:
dunhamjr wrote:
thinkmoto wrote:

Well dude with all the traffic i've been seeing in the fuel economy sections and being that these cars are known for good economy I figured folks would be chiming in alot on the subject. I was wrong so does that make me impatient? I don't think so. Does your comment make you look like a internet tool? I think so :stfu:

:drunk:

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:42 am 

44mpg on the first tank 400miles on 9 gallons. That whole time I had a SES light on. Had to replace the O2 sensor cleared ecu and got another one for the egr. I cleaned out the egr valve this morning, one vaccum hose port was plugged only. Started the car with it off and it was clear as expected. Also cleaned out the pcv i'm trying to figure out my high idle problem. It seemed to help a little car idled down after a few minutes of running when cold. It still hangs up there too much though. I'm going to try to keep the car under 60mph and take it easy while accellerating and see how much that helps. I'm pleased with the first tank but far from satisfied :)

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:50 am 

Hey, Ma Man.......
Congrats on getting an XFi even in less than optimal condition.

Yes, the doors are heavier. So, thus and therefore they will protect you slightly more in a collision. Grease those hinges though.
For real economy, install a final drive ring and pinion from a SOHC 4 cylinder. Like I did. I also installed the XFi cam in my regular 3 cyl 94. Sweet. When treating it to super: Un believable fuel economy. I don't know for sure yet, I didn't go through the tank. I'll let you know before Christmas....
Don't play with the idle by unscrewing the cable nut. That's not the proper way of doing it, though it works....

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:54 am 

Interesting find this morning. I've been troubleshooting the EGR system trying to find my problem. I pulled the egr off again double checked it was clear all is well. I was wondering about the modulator so I went and searched some threads and found no useful info. So I decided I'd just start swapping parts form the 97 :dunno: So i pulled the modualtor and went to the 97 the vaccum hoses where being a pain so i pry them off. Well I'm staring at it and notice the hose nipples are formed different for the 2 ports. The modulator on the 94 appears to have been installed backwards on the car :WTF: I reset the ecu and I guess I'lll know in an hour on my drive to work. I sure hope that's all it is cuz that would be sweet.

I'm going to try higher octane fuel at the next fill. I have to look into tires in the near future also they are getting kinda cracked.

Anybody know what a good price for a high mileage motor/trans is? I can get a 1L/5spd out of a 94 for $100 locally. Thinking of rebuilding them for spares/good father stepson project.

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:03 pm 

thinkmoto wrote:
dunhamjr wrote:
thinkmoto wrote:

I was wrong so does that make me impatient? I don't think so. Does your comment make you look like a internet tool? I think so :stfu:

Wow... straight to name calling. Just goes to show that you can be as big and bad as you want in an internet forum though.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:56 am 

dunhamjr
If you would like to continue with the pissing match take it to PM's otherwise please STFU. I'm trying to get info but all you seem to want to do is ruin the thread with bickering. You aren't the guy from WA that wanted this car that i got are you?

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:53 pm 

thinkmoto wrote:
dunhamjr
You aren't the guy from WA that wanted this car that i got are you?

No.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:30 pm 

445 miles on 8.8 gallons this fill for 50.5mpg! whoot already over 50mpg on the second tank. Still have a bad high idle that takes for ever to kick down while sitting at lights idling. I still need new tires though. Probably will check the pressure tomorrow.

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:32 am 

53.6MPg on the third tank and now 49.9MPG on the fourth tank :( I set my timing to 10 BTDC and this will be the last tank with seafoam in it. I also disconnnected my ISC and what a difference the bugger idles now! Hopefully the SES stays away time will tell. I also removed the intake tract piping to get the hot underhood air. Did a compression test yesterday but I'm gonna do it again I saw something way to alarming so I want to verify it.

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord