TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:51 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Smaller injector
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:06 am 

Just a thought, for the 1.3 TBI guys.

The injector HAS to be smaller in a G10, as they have different color caps, and due to the fact that I tried a G13 injector in my G10 and lost idle and driveability.

Install a G10 injector in your G13 and up the fuel pressure 'til the flow rate matches your original injector. That would give a smaller droplet size and better atomization, delivering better economy. Only the surface of the fuel burns, and if you increase surface area, you release more heat from less fuel and have a slightly greater power potential.

Don't quote me on pressures, however, I scienced it out on my Dakota, and for 15 lb/hr injectors to match the stock 19 lb/hr injectors required an additional 11.5 psi.

I don't know the flowrates on the TBI injectors, but the math is as follows.
New PSI / old PSI X flowrate = flowrate at higher PSI

Example from Dakota
55 PSI / 43.5 PSI X 15 lb/hr = 18.9 lb/hr

I plan on using GM multec II's from a 3100 V6. I will be attempting this shortly.
If someone tries this on their Geo, let us know the resulting increase in MPG.
And I shall let thee know my results. My average in my truck is between 15.5 and 17.7 MPG stock.

Have fun!!! :wink:

Post subject: Re: Smaller injector
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:37 pm 

Alright, I installed them tonight. I didn't clear the codes after I did it, I just let it learn on it's own. I have put maybe 55 miles on it so far. The preliminary results?

I can't believe it! Even going 65 miles an hour on the interstate, I'm only barely touching the throttle. It idles rock steady, which in itself is a feat, since the Dakota has 226,xxx miles on it, has what appear to be original plug wires, and has a VERY noisy timing chain. My cruise RPM dropped at least 150 rpm, and the thing is so quiet when cruising.

The drawbacks? Only one so far....
The butt dyno tells me I lost about 5% power or so when I'm at WOT around 4,500 RPM.

This is almost too good to be true.. I suppose it's like pulling a four BBL. off a 350 and putting a 1 BBL. in it's place.

Y'all NEED to try this, if you math it out first, making sure that the resistance matches and that you can compensate enough with fuel pressure.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:59 pm 

This sounds like a possible good idea to get more MPG's out of my G13... but how would I increase the fuel pressure without buying additional parts?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:38 pm 

Of course you'd have to buy parts, unless you have everything already.
You would have to set up your pressure line with a gauge, either permanent or temporary, and gently crush your regulator cap with a hammer until you reached target pressure. To do this, tap it lightly, cycle your key, check your pressure, and repeat until you get what # the formula asks for.

After one day, it seems like I didn't need as much pressure as the formula says, since it was written for go fast guys, and the increased energy potential releases more heat. If nothing else, throttle response increases.

Do yourself a favor, wait 'til I get some MPG results, at least two tanks worth, and research cc's per hour on both injectors. I believe the formula works for whatever you plug into it, be it cc's or lbs.

My thinking was that....
Ever light a coffee can of gas when you were a dumb kid like I was? Well, I don't condone it, however only the surface burns. If you have smaller droplets and more of them, you inevitably have more surface area to emit flammable vapors.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:59 pm 

crazyman wrote:
Of course you'd have to buy parts, unless you have everything already.
You would have to set up your pressure line with a gauge, either permanent or temporary, and gently crush your regulator cap with a hammer until you reached target pressure. To do this, tap it lightly, cycle your key, check your pressure, and repeat until you get what # the formula asks for.

What I was meaning beyond needing to get the different injectors... there would be other parts to buy.
I was thinking about how to change the fuel pressure... typically, you would want to use an adjustable FPR. Crushing the FPR is a permanent change, that unless you know whats going on might not be a good permanent change to make.