TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:29 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:29 am 

Based on what I can piece together from various posts no specifically pertaining to ignition timing it would seem that the following is what has been worked out by others in terms of increased mpg's:

Timing Advance for XFi's = 2 to 3 degrees

Timing Advance for Non-XFi's = 4 to 5 degrees

Can someone confirm or correct this information for me? I'd like to adjust the timing in my car this weekend.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:35 pm 

I know on my non XFI the timing advance at warm idle with the jumper wire at the diagnostic cable fitted is 5degrees BTDC. I was able to run 8degrees BTDC without pinging. For best fuel economy I found the timing should be advanced as far as it will go without pinging. That is why I recommend setting up the timing to the stock 5 degrees and then tune it by ear. The car has an increase in power advancing 8 degrees as opposed to stock 5 degrees.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:50 pm 
Sad but True...

you should actually be able to get more than 8* out of it unless you got some really bad fuel.

on an xfi though you probably arent worried about getting optimum performance and wouldnt want to spend the extra for premium fuel to advance timing a little more. cost per mile probably would decrease or at best, stay the same (with a bit more go)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:07 am 

so you set the timing with the ecm in diagnostic mode? to shut down the timing advance?

totally confused

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:40 am 
Sad but True...

theres a million different ways to do it, but theres a diagnostic port you need to bridge, and yes, it takes the ecu out of advance mode. the engine will run with JUST base timing. this is what you do to check it. However, if your a backyard mechanic and know what the sounds of ping are, you can just turn the distributor small steps at a time (lets call full retard to full advance 20 steps. and stop you should be about in the middle, at around 10. move 1 step at a time and go for a spirited drive with high rpms and what not and listen carefully for ping. once you have ping, go 1-2 steps back. just be careful how you do it. its not turbod so your risk is severely reduced.

If you use a timing light, try starting at 14* base timing and try from there. if you are backyarding it, you never really know what value your timing is at until you check it, but you can feel it if you are experienced enough.

so long story short, use the timing light, and set it as high as you can without getting ping. maybe theres some results if you searched for people using the xfi and what their timing is at with what grade of fuel. being an xfi I dont think you intend to run premium, so you may be limited to how far you can advance. be careful