TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:05 pm 

I just took a 28 hour, 1,330 mile, $84.00 Greyhound bus ride from Billings, Montana to Victorville, California to pick up and drive back the Metro-XFI with a 5 speed stick that I purchased on eBay. The drive back home was 1,113 miles from the seller's house to where I live, which took me 19 hours of straight through driving. To say the least, I was quite tired when I finally got home. The distance was farther with Greyhound because of all the off-the-highway stops they had to make at the small towns. Anyway, I drove between 70 to 80 MPH except for going up hills of course, which there was a great many of. My first tank of gas out of California I averaged 34.7 mpg. My second tank I averaged 41.75 mpg (flatter ground). The third tank averaged at 38.3 mpg and my last tank averaged in at 41.85 mpg. When I picked up the car it had 171,763 miles on it, but had a number of mechanical parts replaced including a total rebuild of the engine, new clutch, front axle bearings and too much more to list. The rebuild and other repairs was done at just a little more then 169,000 miles. The car is very clean with no dents, no rust anywhere and still has very good paint and came with all new tires. The interior has some wear, but not bad for being a 1994.

Now, I'm thinking that the gas mileage should improve once the engine has more mileage on it, (break-in period)? And if I drive at a slower rate of speed, say like 60 mph on the highway/freeway. I drove faster on the trip coming back because I was in a hurry to get back home.

Anyway, I just found out about this forum and decided to join and hopefully get some pointers on improving my gas mileage. If anyone is interested, I paid $3,000 for the car. So, the actual total cost amounts to the bus ticket ($84.00), the car ($3,000.00) and gas ($107.00) to get back home. I paid $4.41.9 for gas in Victorville, Ca., the highest on the trip back home. The remaining gas prices varried from $3.74.9 to $3.91.9. I can still remember the gas wars when I was first driving, paying as little as $0.19.9 a gallon, basically 20 cents a gallon for regular leaded gas. Those were the days!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:11 pm 

Good deal! I am glad you had a safe trip and got the car that will pay you back. Welcome to TeamSwift!

• Build Video
  • 1991 4 Door Truck Conversion
  • Modified Suzuki 1.0L Engine
  • High Stall 3200 RPM Converter
  • Auto Trans with Welded Differential
  • Custom Exhaust and Intake System
  • 6" Suspension Lift & Weight Reduction
  • 27" Kenda Executioner 6 Ply ATV tires

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:26 pm 

make sure to fill out your location on the profile. abd btw, nice story.

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:01 am 

Congrats on your new purchase. I'm about 3 weeks into a 93 XFi acquired through craigslist for $1000. A little rough, and lots of little issues to work through, but I think I will end up with a decent XFi somewhere around the $2000 mark. My first test netted 37mpg but then discovered my throttle body was not seeing any coolant flow (so the computer was always running things rich). Now that this has been corrected I hope to get well into the upper 40s - we shall see.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:02 am 

congrats on the purchase. I'm also a newer xfi owner. Mine unfortanately is a rust bucket and neeeds the usual rust repairs before stuff starts crumbling. My first tank I got 44mpg the second 50.5mpg. My third tank is almost done and should be hovering around 50+ again. I had alot of rust related problems to fix...exhaust,bad wheel bearings tune up stuff, all new fluids.
Your mileage will improve as you learn how to regress into a grampa driver and baby it. I do alot of 5th gear lugging through town etc. I don't go any faster then 55-60 and keep the acceleration smooth.

94 GEO METRO PARTS FOR SALE EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!!
94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:20 am 

Norski wrote:
I can still remember the gas wars when I was first driving, paying as little as $0.19.9 a gallon, basically 20 cents a gallon for regular leaded gas. Those were the days!

I remember pumping gas during those 'gas wars'.

We would wash the windshield and rear window, check the air in the tires, as well as check fluid levels in the radiator, engine oil, transmission, brake fluid, battery...all while the car was filling up.

An old lady once had me "change the air" in her tires. For that, I pretended to let the air out of each tire, and then pretended to fill them back up. Basically, just made some air noise at each tire. Ha!

:razz: :) :D :-P :roll: :lol: 8) :wink:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:38 am 

i saw this geo on ebay. nice little car. congrats.

fyi - keep it under 60 and you should see those mpg number shoot up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:12 am 

Would we all agree that 60/60 (60 mpg at 60 mph) is achievable to all in an XFI?

TH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:13 am 

TrevorHeath wrote:
Would we all agree that 60/60 (60 mpg at 60 mph) is achievable to all in an XFI?

TH

Maybe if you sit on the freeway'highway all the time with no stopping.

I just got 53mpg on my 3rd tank through my xfi since bought. I have mixed driving though.

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:37 pm 

ya.. .while i'd love to get 60mpg, i think that's a bit high even with 99% highway. i'm sure it's possible though if you are a super hypermiler.

i only pulled 48 on my first tank with my ntm xfi. but i've been working on it quite a bit to tune it up and what not so the first tank isn't really a good indication (i hope). that was w/ 51% city 49% highway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:02 pm 

Welcome!
I'm a new Metro owner in Great Falls, picked mine up locally and I'm only a 1/2 a tank of gas into it so far so I have no idea what my actual MPG may be yet.
I have a factory service manual on order that should be here next week. Then I can figure out what's working correctly and what needs attn. in the engine compartment. Noticed yesterday that my tailpipe is sooty inside, but my plugs are burning clean, so, it may be rich, (coolant temp sensor or no coolant flow?) or the fact that I dumped a can of Sea Foam in the tank with the first fill up and it's blowing old carbon out, we'll see.
From what I have gleaned here so far:
Keep tire pressure up near max.
Watch your acceleration rate.
Cruise between 55-60 for best mpg.
Coast down hills in neutral. (Mine rolls like a skateboard! good bearings)
Run synthetic oil.
For safety's sake, drive like you are in a four wheel motorcycle. (Defense, Defense!)
Good luck!
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:51 am 

I too am running seafoam thorugh my car. Dumped half the can in at the last fill up and the other half in yesterday. I went 470 miles on 8.762 gals I still have a high idle problem but no SES since I bought it. I'll see how the new tires and warmer weather effect this next tank. I was hoping for 55MPG when i bought the car and I think I can do it especially in the warmer months of the year. Now to fab up an underbody brace and repair the rust holes underneath :(

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:28 am 

KeninMT and others who suspect they are running rich... Get the engine up to operating temperature and then feel the 1/4" I.D. coolant hoses going in and out of the throttle body - they should be quite warm to the touch. When they are blocked they will feel cool (or ambient temp, whatever that is). It is very easy to disconnect them (with the engine cool!) and see if there is coolant in them. My blockage was mostly in the fitting where the coolant hose connected to the intake manifold. I stuck a 3/16" drill bit in there and gave it a twirl. Out came a bunch of dried rust, followed by a flow of coolant. I also found a partial blockage in the nipple that comes off the pipe just behind the water pump. I can't quantify what difference this will make in MPG (still on my first tank since the fix), but my O2 sensor voltage output is telling me the car is running closer to optimum a/f now.

I'm still having issues with the idle taking too long to come back down. Not sure if I have gunk in the throttle body, a bad idle speed control valve, or an incorrect setting of the throttle stop screw and/or idle air bleed adjustment. A previous mechanic had obviously messed with both. I've sprayed some throttle body cleaner down the throat while it's running - that seemed to help some. I may try some of this Seafoam others have mentioned. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:27 am 

top_down I have the same idle down problem. I've been running the seafoam now for 2 tanks. Mileage has been increasing but the idle problem is still there sometimes worse then others. From what I've read it appears to be the ISC/ IAC whatever they call it. I might just pull a whole TB assembly from a bone yard and swap it in for now to see what happens. I found another salvage yard thats susposed to be full of metros.

And for the nay sayers 50+MPG is attainable the car needs to be running right and all the little nit picking problems fixed.

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:25 am 

thinkmoto: yes I agree we are in the same boat as lots of metro owners with the high (and sometimes surging) idle. For whatever reason mine seems to be worse after a hot restart - how about yours? I swapped the ISC valve yesterday for another one I found in a wrecked metro and saw absolutely no difference. Both measure about 20 ohms resistance and seem to allow low vacuum to pass but with a little fluttering of the valve. High vacuum results in a blockage unless 12V is applied to the valve.

My next step is to connect a voltmeter to the ISC wires and do some test drives to see if my high idle is related to a command from the computer. I am starting to think my problem may be TPS and that I may need to perform that adjustment with the engine hot instead of cold. Any feedback on this from anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:39 am 

I haven't checked my TPS with a meter yet I played around with it one morning but my car too wasn't fully warm. I know of a few cars around by me that are for sale and run I might see if thewy idle correctly and just buy the whole damn TBI off them for a spare if I can't figure out this idle issue.

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:45 am 

Be sure to get one off of an XFi, I'm pretty sure the throttle body is smaller. I read one post that suggested that the idle problems might be related to a worn engine so perhaps we should compare compression test results too - I haven't done that yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:01 am 

the XFI TB is smaller? crap well I still want to swap out the ISC anyways. I need to check my timing and do a compression test. I'll have to hit my dad up he's got various compression testers. So if we have high idle problems the motor could be worn out? well that would suck donkey balls. :(

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:26 pm 

thinkmoto wrote:
So if we have high idle problems the motor could be worn out? well that would suck donkey balls. :(

I wouldn't condem anyting without first doing a simple compression test. A good quality tester is about $50, and you'll own it for life. Within 10% cylinder-to-cylinder is considered fine for a street car. Only after that would I start throwing parts at it. Even if the compression is bad on the middle cylinder, I've read the most common thing is it needs a valve job, as a result of having a plugged up ERG port. The word is the rings, bores, and pistons are almost bullet-proof on these Suzuki engines in normally aspirated form. "worn out" might mean a simple valve job to get another 100k out of her

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:58 am 

I'm grabbing my dads compression tester tomorrow and checking that and the timing out again. I have a bad feeling the belt might be off a tooth from the previous owner. The distributor is almost fully advanced and even when I fully advance it no ping. So I'm leery of the timing til I get a timing light on it. I know of 2 motors trans I can get really cheap if my motor is worn.

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:25 pm 

idle speed control. isc and surging. Not sure if this is your guys problem. I got a high mileage geo no idle problems. Did timing belt. Noticed a unplugged connection behind my tbi during repair. Thought I had accidently unplugged it. Plugged it back in. Idle surged everywhere after timing belt change. Stopped surging by unplugging isc connector when it hit low idle with my motor idling hot. Guess last owner had figured out same. I know its not correct but mileage is great and motor does not surge. Glen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:18 pm 

Norski wrote:
I just took a 28 hour, 1,330 mile, $84.00 Greyhound bus ride from Billings, Montana to Victorville, California ...

WELCOME! I am glad you didnt get screwed via eBay. What on Earth did you do for those 28 hrs??? I think i'd go nuts. =)

daily driver: red 1991 Metro 3cyl 5sp, roof rack, 8 degree advance,
got 61 mpg combined on 14" tires but i prefer 12"

completed frame up restoration: black 1994 Swift GT 5sp -- like new ! 45mpg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:29 am 

UNplugging the ISC is an idea. No SES light? Might try that for now at the next tank of gas for shits and grins.

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:19 am 

Norski has left the building... :huh:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:17 pm 

Phil N Ed wrote:
Norski has left the building... :huh:

sucks to be him

94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord