TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1996 Geo metro 1.0L
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:02 pm 

I have a 96 Metro 5 speed the mpg use to be close to 45 per gallon not I am only averaging 35 to 40. I have changed all filters and put new plugs, wire, distributor cap and rotor on the vehicle. Is there anything else I should be looking at. Also as a side I am getting a lot of blow by and its using about a quart of oil a week. I have chaged the PCV and no oils leaks are visible.

Post subject: Re: 1996 Geo metro 1.0L
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:13 pm 

Not an expert...but might look into piston rings...is it blowing smoke out the tailpipe?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:56 pm 

Best thing you can do right now is get a compression test on all 3 cylinders wet and dry and post the readings here.

• Build Video
  • 1991 4 Door Truck Conversion
  • Modified Suzuki 1.0L Engine
  • High Stall 3200 RPM Converter
  • Auto Trans with Welded Differential
  • Custom Exhaust and Intake System
  • 6" Suspension Lift & Weight Reduction
  • 27" Kenda Executioner 6 Ply ATV tires

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:39 am 

No smoking at all. I have changed the front seals and the timing belt and the distributor O ring. The reason I say blow by is because if you run your hand along the back of the hatch it will get black. I plan on doing a Compression test in the next week or so and will definatelly post the results. This site has helped with other problems so hoping I can figure out whats going on. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:48 pm 

Black usually means too rich on fuel, not necessarily oil burning. Have you seen you check engine light on? Could be an Oxy sensor gone out. When you start the car next time, turn the key to on and see if your check engine light comes on before you hit the starter. If not, you may have a burned out bulb and been getting warning from the ECM that you were not seeing. Even so, it may be possible for the O2 sensor to go out without getting a light. Just a place to start.

92 Blue 2dr Metro, 1.0L Auto
Donors:
92 Blue 2dr w/5spd (Dead from frame cancer)
92 Red 4dr w/Auto (Just Dead!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:19 am 

O2 sen. ???? if it is running rich it will wash down the cylinders ans use more oil than normal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:41 am 

COMP wrote:
O2 sen. ???? if it is running rich it will wash down the cylinders ans use more oil than normal

Nice, but not quite true. A blown O2 sensor won't cause a wash of gasoline but will cause the computer to shoot slightly more than normal. This lowers your milleage. Now, a bad injector o-ring, that could allow a lot more fuel than is needed to get by. This would affect your mileage, wash your cylinders, and possibly not set off the O2 sensor code.

92 Blue 2dr Metro, 1.0L Auto
Donors:
92 Blue 2dr w/5spd (Dead from frame cancer)
92 Red 4dr w/Auto (Just Dead!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:37 pm 

metromad wrote:
COMP wrote:

Nice, but not quite true. A blown O2 sensor won't cause a wash of gasoline but will cause the computer to shoot slightly more than normal. This lowers your milleage. Now, a bad injector o-ring, that could allow a lot more fuel than is needed to get by. This would affect your mileage, wash your cylinders, and possibly not set off the O2 sensor code.

had a bad 02 on my daughters 4.6 ford and it was washing the walls down ,,200 miles and HAD to change the oil,,,,no sludge in there tho :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:19 am 

Ever figure this out?

I have a similar problem. When I first start the car it shoots some oil out the tailpipe, not much, but if you park on concreat you can see some small spots all over the ground. I'm getting 37MPG and going through a quart of oil every week or 2. My O2 sensor, and starter look like the only new parts on the vehicle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:59 am 

I am still working on this issue. I did the compression test and it appears form what has bee posted I may have burnt exhaust valves. My EGR was clogged so I cleaned but I do not have oil shooting out the back and no smokng at all. I get a black film on the hatch thats why I said blow by(may not be the right term.) I am also the code for my crank psoition sensor and my timing may be a little off but I am going to a friend to help with that since I am leary of timing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:54 pm 

more than likely a burnt exhaust valve.