TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:00 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 6 speed anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:36 pm 

Probably a long-shot, but did Suzuki ever offer any FWD car with a 6 speed box? Anything out there compatable with the swift/metro engine bay?

My thinking? One way to increace driveability to an over weight (or under powered, depending on your perspective) vehicle is to add gears that allow the engine to stay more closely to optimum torque. More gears can also allow a lower 1st gear, without penalizing the top gear ratio. Downshifting from top gear (on a grade) doesn't penalized mileage as much, either.

I successfully proved this can work with a gasoline 4-cyl powered Nissan truck that I turned into a 1-ton dually, added a 6-pack cab over camper, and towed my enclosed Kart trailer around with. Too little truck for too much weight, but I wanted the fuel mileage of a mini-truck. It was a bear to drive before I regeared it, as the stock box in those things is real tall, Nissan didn't expect anyone to use 5th unless the truck was empty. Fully loaded and pulling away from a stop might result in clutch smell if I wasn't real careful. Working with a Moroso 'gearing dream wheel' and doing some math, I used available ratios from Nissan and regeared the rear end to make the 4spd w/overdrive trans act more like a true 5 speed worked. My result was really good and suited my needs when compared to the long-legged stock configuration that came in the half-ton trucks.

My Metro could use another gear and a taller final drive ratio, but I may have to settle for a taller final drive

Post subject: Re: 6 speed anyone?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:49 am 

Get the final drive combo from a 4 cyl single overhead cam motor.
3,53 to one. At 65 miles an hour, you will be revving at 2500.
Toodle-dee-doo-cracker-bits.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:22 am 

Your location tells me you might want to stick with what you have.
There are lots and lots of cars and traffic where you're at.
Manutea and I like our gear ratios, but we have mostly open road.
What you describe is covered by him, but might not fit your style.
How often do you get over 70 mph in the Brentwood area, and is this for a commuter car?
What type of mileage gain are you hoping to get?
(Could you be a little more specific with your 'application', please?)

:) :) :)

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:24 am 

Not the Brentwood you are thinking of... I mostly live in Northern California Brentwood, in the Delta region east of the Bay. But I stay in Napa 3-4 nights/wk, and commute this triangle of Brentwood to Napa to Livermore, 70 freeway miles one way. I have been putting on 750miles per week lately.

My commute consists of a little slow and go in the morning for say 10 miles, then California traffic (everyone is going 75plus a couple car lengths away from each other) :| . There is some rolling hills through Benicia, that pull the little 3cyl down. In the envenings I rarely slow down at all for 70 freeway miles... ok, there is this vineyard section off Old Sonoma Hiway with a couple tight turns... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:32 am 

metromizer wrote:
Not the Brentwood you are thinking of... I mostly live in Northern California Brentwood, in the Delta region east of the Bay. But I stay in Napa 3-4 nights/wk, and commute this triangle of Brentwood to Napa to Livermore, 70 freeway miles one way..........

Hey, my old stomping grounds. 8) Lived in Oakley and commuted to Sac-town then from Oakley to Marysville (Drove Gov't rig then). Metro, remember the twists and turns on Los Vaqueros? The ultimate road for a Rally Car race. To bad she's under water :x

pacapo wrote:
You get an old one, clean it up, put it back to specs and take care of it, and she'll last for years.

JVS wrote:
We (the Suzuki enthusiast) are Dinosaurs.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: Red "My PocketRocket"
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: White (Being resurrected)
1996 Geo Metro (Stocker)
1999 Suzuki 1.6 Esteem (Baleno) Wagon (Sleeper creeper)

Last edited by swifterthanu on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:47 pm 

Ah, O.K.
Sorry about that.
Yeah, the gears that we have would tickle your fancy.
Over here, we have a 5 mile downhill in the windmill section.
That's payback time for me...
The big SUV's kinda drop off once I hit 85...not sure how fast I'm going...but nobody bothers to try and keep up.
You'd like that.
I downshift at 75, no sweat on the engine.
In stop and go, I'm OK, but I rarely get into that kind of traffic.
You might think about a cam.
My car's only 1650 pounds.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:20 pm 

swifterthanu wrote:
metromizer wrote:
... remember the twists and turns on Los Vaqueros? The ultimate road for a Rally Car race. To bad she's under water :x

Hey, a homeboy here on the forum, small world! :D

I've had been commuting that road (Vasco) since 1986, and now the re-routed road that goes around the reservoir closer to the Byron Airport. The new road section added 4 more miles to Vasco, and has two pretty big grades where the old road had little elevation change. The trade off for keeping more of norcal's fresh water up here I guess (but don't get me started :mrgreen: ) Anyhow, I was thinking taller final drive augmented by more gears to better stay within the engine's sweet spot at a relatively higher mph, like the big-rigs do. Probably not practicle to do a 'one-off' swap now that I think about it.

An Xfi-like cam swap and advance is on my short list of things to do... I am thinking two steps ahead to lowering the gear ratios (without making the car almost undriveable in SF Bay Area freway traffic).