TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:15 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:50 pm 

Phil N Ed wrote:
You can look at the tires.
There is a DOT number on the sidewall.
The last 3 or 4 numbers will tell you when it was made.
If 3 digit, last number is the year.
If 4 digit, last 2 numbers is the year.

Personally, I think you are lucky to still be running 145s.
They are available in Europe, etc.
But not here.

Thanks for the info; I checked the numbers out. The tires were made in 2005. I put them on last year. I don't know how long most tire dealers keep stock on hand, but aparantly these were 2 year old new tires when I got them. :) I called the place and they still stock them. They are Nordic brand and sell for $30 each mounted and balanced.
Economical tires for a very economical car. I like that. :D :D

Sorry, guess I should have told you where they are at in case anyone is interested. They are for sale right here in the middle of the good old USA in Wichita, Ks. Brown's Tires on north Broadway. And, no, I don't have any connection to them and won't get any kickback if any of you all buy tires from them. :) :) :) Just tell them the guy who bought the 12" tires from them last year sent you. I don't reckon they get too many people asking for that size!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:00 pm 

Too bad the taller 5th ratio investigation didn't pan out.

I've got the 3.52 f.d. in my car, and the XFi/economy cam (= better low RPM torque) and aero mods (= lower engine load at cruising speed). So I would have seriously considered that extra tall 5th. Same ratio Coyote was after.

Also helps that the majority of my driving is flatland highway.

I'm jealous of the other car makes that have taller 5ths available. It's an easy junkyard upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:06 pm 

Hi there peoploids!
I'm still extremely happy with my swap. The final drive from the 4 cyl. SOHC acts very pleasurably. I must admit that I sometimes forget to shift from 4 to 5. Everything is so much more quiet now. 4 acts like a cruising speed while 1-2-3 are close ratio for a more spirited get away, not that I do that...not that there's anything wrong with that....
I also have the XFi cam in there, this added a little wooomph.......

I rode about 10 000 miles since this improvement.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:11 am 

I would agree, the 3.52 gear set has changed the characteristics of the car. I switched from 3.85 and I'm sure some are thinking "why bother".

I've now got about 600 miles on the car and yes have caught myself in 4th a couple of times.

The car now turns 2400 rpm in 5th at 60 mph, down 300 rpm (I use 14" wheels)

Quite a lot of time though is spent around 2000 rpm or less in 5th with enough power to pull up to 2400/2600 without changing down.

MPG this week was 56 mpg which is just OK for me.

The weather in the Seattle area certainly played a part....it has been atrocious with 4" of snow Monday to high winds and torrential rain flooding roads by Thursday.

Anyone need a set of 3.85 gears?

TH
www.livesteaming.com/metro.htm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:38 am 
Teamswift Racer

Just a heads up, it's been almost a year since I've offered a 3.52 for sale to suit the later Mk1 swifts/sprints and turbo sprints, now I have one.

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42122

It's much much cheaper than a custom 5th gear ever could be if they did exist (which they don't), this is the only option for reducing gearing for the mk1 and this was never sold in North America AFAIK.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:55 pm 

Guys, there's book theory and there's driving down the road cursing your shiny new $800 gearset that's totally undrivable. Take it from someone who's played the overdrive game with multiple ratios in the same box on real freeways populated with real semis and real traffic.
My testbed was a custom prototype gearbox/transaxle hacked together from Borg Warner T5 guts and a bunch of custom parts. My powerplant was 6 cyls 2.7 liter with independant runner intake fed by 6 throats of webers and a tuned header/exhaust system. I designed a custom cam grind for the widest flattest torque curve (204 int 208 exh @ .050, 113.5 LSA, lift around .450, max available). Final drive 3.55, driven tires were 225/50/15. Chassis curb weight 2500 lbs. CD .34
Can you smell almost 200 ft/lbs of torque to compare with our 50-70 ft/lbs in the 1.0, depending on mods?

The .78 OD had a perfect 1000 rpm drop from 4th into 5th, (matching all the previous upshifts) gave me 2500 rpms at 65 mph, and doesn't need to downshift to change lanes or speed up and down with flow of traffic. Oddly enough, it was factory stock for 6 cylinder applications and small 5.0 V8's.

The .88 OD was a TransAm racing OD for 5.0 firebirds on a particular track where they redlined in 4th but couldn't grunt 5th down the straights. On my car on the freeway the 4->5 shift felt more like 4 1/2, with only a 500 rpm drop and the motor buzzing 3200 at 65 mph. Kinda pointless since 4th gear was only 3500 at 65 to begin with. Drove nice but the mileage suffered and that fucking flowmaster droned like migraine maker.

Then the "magic MPG bullet" the .63 OD originally behind 5.7 liter Tuned Port Injected Chevies. (Did someone say torque? I thought so...)
Whoa, where'd my engine go? Did I lose ring seal, did I drop a cylinder? This thing's a fucking dog at any traffic rpm in 5th gear. The 4->5 drop was horrendous, in excess of 1700 rpms, and the engine rpm way shy of 2000 rpm at 65 mph. Step on the gas pedal, nothing happens, the car won't go forward. Change lanes, gotta downshift, speed up with traffic, gotta downshift. Reach down to turn up the radio, gotta downshift, you get the idea. Mileage was worse than the .78 cuz I had to give it so much more throttle to maintain speed on the flats. Commuter traffic sucked, had to leave it in 4th. There was however, one supreme bonus, on a midnight run from LA to Palm Springs through the Mojave Desert. Wrap that bitch up to 7 grand in 4th, upshift at 120 mph, drop into the fat upper rpm hp of those webers singing at 4500+ and leave it planted to 145 mph, where aerodynamic drag exceeds available horsepower just shy of 6 grand. I do believe this is a perfect Silver State Challenge gear for the 135 MPH class.

So what's the real magic? Torque peak is a result of best efficiency. Which is where the least amount of throttle gives you the most amount of torque. So the factory put my car at 3500 rpms (4th gear) at 65 mph and it took very little pedal to maintain speed. With a lousy stock carbed intake, cast iron log exhaust and measly cam strangely similar to MK4 g10's, this is where most of the torque lived.
Adding tuned intake, exhaust and cam gave me enough grunt at 2500 to make OD feasible and beneficial, however that little 2.7 was u nusually sensitive to the exact OD ratio.

So you can guess which OD won the mpg/driveability contest and currently resides in that gearbox, it's obviously the .78.
As for my Geo Cultus, the stock OD with 4.39 rear seems to be perfect to me on the rolling 75 mph freeway we call 280 in the Bay Area. I see around 3500 rpm and the engine seems really happy. I wouldn't change gears but I might go with shorter tires than stock. I certainly wouldn't slow anything down, it would be an absolute dog.
And as for a .50 OD, the only vehicle that can reasonably use that short a gear is a 10 cyl viper with a 6 speed that conveniently keeps the 5th gear in the .7x range. Notice also that the late vettes did NOT get the .50 6th in essentially the same tranny the viper got, the V8 vettes got a .6x 6th gear, also with a .7x 5th gear. Notice a trend? It takes massive torque to spin numerically small OD's.
Just my $.02 (which is rapidly depreciating thanks to our federal reserve and treasury....)

F/S 89 Swift GTi body only
F/S 92 Tracker 2 dr rwd stock
93 Sidekick 4 dr 1.9 vw TD, WVO conversion, 6" lift over 33's

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:01 am 
Teamswift Racer

87octane wrote:
Take it from someone who's played the overdrive game with multiple ratios in the same box on real freeways populated with real semis and real traffic.

Well take it from someone who has played with all ratios possible in THESE cars that the 3.52 is not too tall at all, I wouldn't recommend it for people who live in hilly areas but if you have long commutes on flatish roads then the 3.52 is definitely more relaxed and will improve mileage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:09 am 

87octane wrote:
So what's the real magic? Torque peak is a result of best efficiency. Which is where the least amount of throttle gives you the most amount of torque.

This comment surfaces quite a bit and its not accurate. High efficency occurs when you are making high torque; not at an rpm where you can make a lot of torque if you floored it. Higher gear ratios increase the load on the motor and thus the motor has to make more torque and is more efficient. This is not opinion its in every thermodynamics text book.
Carborated engines can be an exception at they sometimes require high vacuum to properly atomize the fuel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:48 pm 

Dattman wrote:
87octane wrote:
Take it from someone who's played the overdrive game with multiple ratios in the same box on real freeways populated with real semis and real traffic.

Well take it from someone who has played with all ratios possible in THESE cars that the 3.52 is not too tall at all, I wouldn't recommend it for people who live in hilly areas but if you have long commutes on flatish roads then the 3.52 is definitely more relaxed and will improve mileage.

You bring up a good point.
San Jose is a rolling hills environment, as you go west from there, the hills become very steep. Witness the 'Streets of San Francisco', or maybe watch the old movie with Steve Mc Queen. I think Bullit was its name.

In other famous places in the Southwestern U.S.
-grapevine
-Baker grade on way to Las Vegas
-Chiriaco Summit on way to mxmikies :lol: :lol: :lol:
(and many others)

your argument applies.

If you ask a Teamswift member who has a 3.52 in his vehicle (maybe Manutea is still alive, and not trying to fix fog lights) he might give you a sense of whether it was the right or the wrong thing to do.

Some of the newer cars have governors which prevent them from exceeding 95 mph. Having one of these final drives will make it a breeze to lose those cars on a long trip, speaking from personal experience. Oh, you should see the alpha males (and females) with their frustrated looks on their faces. They can't figure out why they can't overtake you! If your car's paint is faded, it makes the situation more hilarious.

90Metro wrote:
This comment surfaces quite a bit and its not accurate. High efficency occurs when you are making high torque; not at an rpm where you can make a lot of torque if you floored it. Higher gear ratios increase the load on the motor and thus the motor has to make more torque and is more efficient. This is not opinion its in every thermodynamics text book.
Carborated engines can be an exception at they sometimes require high vacuum to properly atomize the fuel.

No argument from me, but just wondering why the 'maximum torque' seems like it's always half the 'red line'.
Do you think they get the red line first, or do they get the maximum torque and just double it to get the red line?
Or do they blow up a motor once in a while?
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:13 pm 

Phil N Ed wrote:
If you ask a Teamswift member who has a 3.52 in his vehicle (maybe Manutea is still alive, and not trying to fix fog lights) he might give you a sense of whether it was the right or the wrong thing to do.

I have the 3.52 in my 1.0L car and agree with Dattman: it's FINE for "real world" driving, unless you live in a very hilly area. Even then it would still be driveable, except you'd have to downshift more, and may lose the fuel economy advantage.

I've never understood what people have against downshifting from top gear to accelerate or climb a grade. It's because of this objection that there are all kinds of cars that are geared to stupidly run @ 3500+ RPM at freeway speeds.

Yes, it accelerates more slowly than it used to, but I'm fine with any car that will do 0-60 in 20 seconds or less. (Then again I'm used to driving an EV that takes 25 seconds to do 0-30 :D.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:28 pm 

All good points on the driving arena from different areas of the country. Our area is HILLS, HILLS, HILLS. Not to mention evil short freeway on ramps where you get run over by inattentive drivers in SUV's and big Mercedes trying their damnedest to crumple you like a beer can. To add insult to injury, they put stop lights at the end of the on ramps during commute hours (the only time I drive, thank you very much) to make sure you don't have prayer of getting up to flow of traffic speed before being ignored by drivers with no peripheral vision who will never do blind spot checks. We drive LS engined Chevy 1/2 tons or larger the rest of the time so getting into the swift without a 12 point cage and a HANS device and braving the freeway makes me feel lunch meat in a can (pronounced SPAM). Every freeway merge in the 1.0 is "redline, speedshift, redline, speedshift, redline, back off, shift, cruise, breath again" so all you flatlanders talking about 2 grand short shifts does not compute to my reptile lower brain housing group. Car gods willing, (they weren't so cooperative last week) I'll be lighting up the MPFI this week along with the LT header and maybe those on ramps won't be so scary anymore... stay tuned.

F/S 89 Swift GTi body only
F/S 92 Tracker 2 dr rwd stock
93 Sidekick 4 dr 1.9 vw TD, WVO conversion, 6" lift over 33's

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:28 pm 

Well.....here is my 21 cents

I run a 92 Metro XFI with 14" wheels and a 3.52 final drive.

The car turns 2400 rpm at 60 mph. I generally run 60 mph sometimes up to 65 mph

I do have to climb a steep hill about 2 miles long every day and change down to 4th about half way up

I coast down in neutral every evening :)

The car gets me anywhere I need to go. But as I say on my web page I would not try to drive around Seattle or San Francisco with 3 adult passengers.....

Today I filled up the car with gas.....560 miles...... 9.325 gallons

TH
www.livesteaming.com/metro.htm