TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:58 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:30 am 

Katmandu wrote:
bbjsw10 wrote:
Can't wait he said he would do the covers for like $10, not too bad for lexan I would think.
I'll buy a set of those as well for my 94.

I can PayPal you right now. Let me know.

Katmandu@woh.rr.com

BTW, I'm right down the road from you in Troy. 8)

As in Dayton area Troy? I worked in Fairborn for a while at a Ziebart dealer. I will find out final cost then get a post going to see who else is interested.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:34 pm 

Found headlight surrounds. So Edited this post.

Last edited by bbjsw10 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:28 pm 

bbjsw10 wrote:
As in Dayton area Troy? I worked in Fairborn for a while at a Ziebart dealer. I will find out final cost then get a post going to see who else is interested.
Yup. I'm (10) miles North of Dayton. Right off Exit/Mile Marker 73 off I-75.

I worked right across the street from that Ziebart shop. I worked at Wright-Patterson's AFB Medical Center for (14) years. :salute:

Keep me posted on those headlight covers. 8)

BTW, did you know Big Ben when he lived in Findlay ?? :?: Big Steeler's fan here! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:35 pm 

Katmandu wrote:
bbjsw10 wrote:
Yup. I'm (10) miles North of Dayton. Right off Exit/Mile Marker 73 off I-75.

I worked right across the street from that Ziebart shop. I worked at Wright-Patterson's AFB Medical Center for (14) years. :salute:

Keep me posted on those headlight covers. 8)

BTW, did you know Big Ben when he lived in Findlay ?? :?: Big Steeler's fan here! :yeahyeah

I did alot of windshields for them Wright Pat guys. I don't know if I can get headlight covers for you now. Big BROWNS fan here. :twisted:
I saw little Benjy once. Me and my brother heckled him. :mrgreen: All in good fun though.

P.S. I will get back to you on light covers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:14 pm 

bbjsw10 wrote:
I don't know if I can get headlight covers for you now. Big BROWNS fan here. :twisted:
I saw little Benjy once. Me and my brother heckled him. :mrgreen: All in good fun though.

P.S. I will get back to you on light covers.
Uh oh!! Better a Browns fan than a Bungles fan! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:04 pm 

Gonna do a compression test tomorrow. I will post up the #'s I get. Was going to sooner by my Dad couldn't find his comp tester and I don't want to buy one. Trying to do this on the cheap, bills and payment on house/ car killing me. But I love our 07 Civic Si "freaking quick car" and not to bad on gas.

I have a question on engine swap. Could I take a 1.0 out of 96 and put in my car? Are the blocks the same if I transfered all my components like intake, flywheel, exhaust, and especially Xfi cam? Just wondering because there is a 96 a guy has for sale in town but the rear is smashed bad but starts up and only has 40k on motor. I can get it cheaper than a possible valve/ re-ring on mine.

And I did another mileage figure on mine getting 37.4 MPG. I know kinda low for Xfi. I have a knock in motor and it appears to be a lifter banging don't know for sure though. Could the knock sensor be picking up on that knock and throwing off mileage?

I know I will probably get hit with the "use the search button" I did look but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks, and I will have those #'s up tomorrow evening.

Katmandu wrote:
Uh oh!! Better a Browns fan than a Bungles fan! :lol:

I even have my living room painted the Browns colors, looks like a big old helmet in there. My wife hates it "Raiders fan" Blah.

Last edited by bbjsw10 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:26 am 

bbjsw10 wrote:
Gonna do a compression test tomorrow. I will post up the #'s I get.

I have a question on engine swap. Could I take a 1.0 out of 96 and put in my car? Are the blocks the same if I transfered all my components like intake, flywheel, exhaust, and especially Xfi cam?
I hope the Browns are at least competitive this year. :roll: We Steeler fans really miss the OLD Brown's rivalry days!! :D

And yes, the 96 engine is a direct swap. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:30 am 

Katmandu wrote:
I hope the Browns are at least competitive this year. :roll: We Steeler fans really miss the OLD Brown's rivalry days!! :D

8)

Me too, I think the chances are good this year. They have a healthy team and some good drafts. I hope they do good I been a Browns fan for almost 25 years. Plus my in-laws are Steelers fan. :huh: :?
Katmandu wrote:

And yes, the 96 engine is a direct swap. 8)

Sweet I may have to try and buy that car up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:09 pm 

I got a few things done on car today.
1. Changed transmission oil to Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-80. Old stuff looked like tar, good thing I changed it.

2. Took snorkel off of air cleaner. Read a lot about it improving mileage. I can definitely hear a difference in the motor.

3. Lower front of car from 24.5" to 23.5" Now the heights are 24.25" Back and 23.5" Front. Got rid of the ready to launch look (it bugged me since I first laid eyes on the car. I did this with a cutoff wheel. I took nut off of top of strut and jacked up car (one side at a time) Left the tire on, by removing the strut nut it allowed enough slack on spring to slide to side and cut. I then lowered car slowly while guiding strut though tower. Put the nut back on, check spring alignment and repeated on other side. I also used the first 1/2 coil as a guide to cut the rest. I laid it on top of other spring and marked it. Ended up taking 1 whole turn off each front coil. Pleased with the results it may be just me but I think it rides nicer now than it did before. I may end up taking a half more coil of front and back time will tell.

4. Got my compression check done here are the numbers.
___ 1 ___ 2 ___ 3____
dry 205 190 205
wet 210 185 205

Here are a couple pictures of before/ after of frt. end drop
Before
After
I meant to take both pictures in shop, but got excited and cleaned up and drove it.

So my list so far is.
1. Changed plugs and wires
2. New air filter
3. Changed oil/filter, changed tranny fluid to synthetic 75w-80
4. Set timing to 7*
5. Set tire pressure at 40 psi.
6. Lowered front of car 1"
7. Kinda took dent out of hood.
8. Took snorkel off air cleaner.
9. Cleaned Egr and passages.
10. Seafoamed it
11. Fell in love with my Metro :P
So with my compression readings what could be possibly making my mileage so low for an Xfi? 37 MPG is the highest I have gotten. I don't drive it hard at all coast whenever I have the chance to. Don't sit and idle. It runs pretty good for a 3 cyl. Could the O2 be bad it has 159k on it. I am running out of ideas. The rockers are rusted could that cause it?"from the extra drag". Please some ideas would be great.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:55 pm 

I changed vacuum lines today all of them. Also performed a vacuum test. Fluctuates a little at idle about 4 in-hg. The book say that if combined with exhaust smoke it is valve guides but I don't have any exhaust smoke at any time. Idle was a lil low so I turned up a tiny amount. And re-checked timing. Vacuum gauge read a lil better on that run. So slowly getting this ride straightened out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:11 pm 

Looking real good so far. I was wanting to lower my Metro also.

That car needs window tint 8)

• Build Video
  • 1991 4 Door Truck Conversion
  • Modified Suzuki 1.0L Engine
  • High Stall 3200 RPM Converter
  • Auto Trans with Welded Differential
  • Custom Exhaust and Intake System
  • 6" Suspension Lift & Weight Reduction
  • 27" Kenda Executioner 6 Ply ATV tires

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:25 pm 

JohnnyMullet wrote:
Looking real good so far. I was wanting to lower my Metro also.

That car needs window tint 8)

Thanks! Working on that too. :) I have 3 days off this week so I am tearing my garage up and putting everything in labeled boxes. Tired of not being able to find stuff. Then in my extra time when I am not in the pool drinking a couple beers, I am doing stuff on my car. I am pretty pleased with it so far. I have to fix my stupid drivers window regulator again. I think I am gonna get some 1/4" steel rod and reinforce it by tacking pieces of that to the regulator and horizontal tracks. They are cheap and flex too much.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:36 pm 

Some more progress, tomorrow I am going to pick up my and Katmandu's lexan covers for the headlights. 8) I am also getting a new headlight surround and turnsignal. Will post pics when installed. I will also be installing autometer gauges air/fuel ratio, voltmeter, and oil pressure (as long as I can find my autometer sender).

I am also going to go look at a 1994 Metro 2dr 1.0 5spd, with my dad he wants one now and wants me to look it over. My brother is catching the bug too. He is making aerodynamic improvements on his F-150. To try sqeezing some more MPG's out of it. Well I am getting closer but not done yet. Still looking for a Radio surround, preferably blue. Mine was missing when I bought it. So if someone has one they wanna get rid of get ahold of me PM or bbjsw10@sbcglobal.net.
The piece missing around my radio and heater controls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:34 pm 

Got my A/F ratio gauge and voltmeter mounted up. I had a old gauge pod from a crx that I just kinda stuck up there for now. Maybe later when I get a new autometer oil sender I will buy a new 3 pod universal one. I think my O2 is starting to fail acting really slow on gauge. I drove around for about 15 minutes and it hardly ever moved off of Stoich(EDIT: rechecked my work had wrong wire DUH. It was dark in driveway when I hooked up. That is my story and sticking to it.[ 8) ). Here is a pic of my cob job install.

Last edited by bbjsw10 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:25 pm 

Looks like it's coming along great! Can't wait for the headlight covers. Much cheaper than composite headlights.

How did the ride/handling change after you lowered it ???

Mine rides/handles like a squishy marsh mellow. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:40 pm 

Katmandu wrote:
Looks like it's coming along great! Can't wait for the headlight covers. Much cheaper than composite headlights.

How did the ride/handling change after you lowered it ???

Mine rides/handles like a squishy marsh mellow. :roll:

The ride is better IMHO. Railroad tracks no longer create the roller coaster ups and downs. It lays flatter in the corners now too. It is still no race car though.

Thanks!! I am pretty happy with progress so far.

And your covers will ship tomorrow, I have the box and shipping label in car. As soon as I pick them up putting in box, sealing and shipping. I will take pictures and post a step by step of how to mount them too. So keep posted.

When I get all this stuff done maybe I will make a run your way to check out your ride, and to check mileage of course. Plus needing to get to Springfield to visit my 2 brothers graves. :( :cry:

Tomorrow is my last vacation day from work too. Have alot of stuff to do. And I have to go back to work Thursday. BLAH :thwack: :furious:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:56 pm 

bbjsw10 wrote:
And your covers will ship tomorrow, I have the box and shipping label in car. As soon as I pick them up putting in box, sealing and shipping. I will take pictures and post a step by step of how to mount them too. So keep posted.

When I get all this stuff done maybe I will make a run your way to check out your ride, and to check mileage of course.
Sounds good. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:37 am 

I shrunk the photos a little, just incase for the dial-up guys. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:05 pm 

Made some Lexan covers today and a Passenger side Mirror delete.

Here is a how-to on the lexan covers. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38685

Here are a pic or 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:15 pm 

My mileage went from 37.46 to 48.70 on this tank. I went 199 miles on 4.086 gallons. I am very happy with this tank hopefully it gets better from here. I changed my O2 sensor had some hangups on that install but fixed now. Those are absolutely no fun to do, a very stupid angle to them. Pointed towards the oil filter and engine mount instead of away from engine, where you could put a tool on it. About my only complaint on the car so far. I am going to be making a grille block in the next couple of days, just need the materials to do it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:10 pm 

In the USA the lights from a 90-94 vert are what you are looking for....

See http://www.livesteaming.com/metro.htm to see my xfi with lights fitted.

TH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:12 pm 

TrevorHeath wrote:
In the USA the lights from a 90-94 vert are what you are looking for....

See http://www.livesteaming.com/metro.htm to see my xfi with lights fitted.

TH

Thanks but made lexan covers for mine now. Alot cheaper than the composite lights that I could find from the vert's. And look better IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:24 pm 

I fixed my "search-o-matic" shifter today. This thing was terrible I could move the shifter almost 8" while in gear. I went to my dad's today and used the lathe, and made a set of nylon bushings for it. I love Plastics, never rust, light, easy to machine. It is much, much better now only about 3/4" movement now. I may make a short shifter for it next. Only time will tell.

Here is a blue print I made for the bushing. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38737

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:58 am 

Made a grill block today from some aluminum roof flashing I had laying around. I painted it semi-gloss black, and shot it on with some small metal screws. Now just to watch my temps, It is a good day to test almost 90 outside today.

I am also going to check at Dollar General for some aluminum pizza pans to see if I could convert them into wheel covers somehow. Just would have to drill tap like 3 small hole in rim, then put a hole for valve stem. Don't know for sure but gonna check it out.

I formed my license plate to front and mounted after that picture.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:14 pm 

Found some pizza pans and made some wheel covers. I painted them with some aluminum wheel paint I had left from another project. Used #10 stainless screws to mount it, I drilled and tapped the wheel. I also need valve stem extenders. I don't think they look too bad for $10.35 8) :o