TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:16 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Racing Exhaust
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:50 am 

Has anyone tried this?

Do you get a MPG boost as well as a HP boost?

http://suzukird1.netfirms.com/62pro/cat ... b8939d96ac

Post subject: Re: Racing Exhaust
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:27 pm 
Bozo the crying clown

I ran that header for about 6 months. It was GREAT for performance. LOTS more power in the upper RPMs, but sucked for mileage. It blocks off the EGR port so your check engine light will stay on forever, and then some.

My recommendation......

Good for track use only.
It makes the car run rich as all Hell and will blacken your rear bumper.

Take your STOCK exhaust manifold and VERY carefully port it with a dremel. Takes a LOOOOONG time, but the effect is noticeable.

Jimmy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:03 am 

I'll offer another opinion.
I installed the SRD 1.0 header but wrapped it with Thermo Tec wrap and paint. I had a shop weld in my Catco Catalytic converter and Jones Thunderbolt glasspack muffler.

OK, it is loud. Yours would not be if you had a stock muffler. I added a crome tip to the 2 inch dia. exhaust to get the sound waves out from under my fender.

YES, it does get you 8hp, at least. I never had any lights come on. Same 150,000 mile O2 sensors. I ordered my manifold with the O2 sensor bung ($15 and flange $35) and that is all that is connected to the manifold, just in a different location.

It was pricey but worth every penny. Gas mileage? The Wife and I went to So Cal from Idaho at 60-65 with luggage and got 52mpg. Alone in the mountains of I-da-ho I got 54mpg. It responds like a 4 cylinder car. Accelerates faster and cruses at 85mph on So Cal freeways in front of BMWs.

But, ask if you want a sleeper or not. If you just want horsepower install a tachometer and run your 1.0L up to 5,500rpm for the full 56hp. In 3rd gear that's almost 60mph (the shift light is at 3,000rpm). HOWEVER, Your engine will breath easier, i.e. be less constipated, with the manifold, you just have to keep your foot out of it for better gas mileage. Maybe check out metrompg.com for suggestions.

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:23 am 

This is interesting. I have been reading these posts for a while now, with particular interest in Ram Air and headers. Bad Bent has weighed in on both Ram air and Headers being successful changes, but jimmy did not see the changes running just the header. Also there is disagreement about Ram air. It seems like there may be some value in the combination of ram air and the headers. The ram air would prevent the engine from running rich as jimmy has described. I am swapping to a high flow exhaust next week, but have not purchased the header yet, next month maybe, i will let you know what i see.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:34 am 
Bozo the crying clown

I believe the reason it ran so well for BadBent is......I "believe" that the older 3 cylinder heads did NOT have an egr port. ( read that somewhere along the way. Mine is a 98 with egr and it had a CONSTANT check engine light. I had new o2 sensors wired correcrly, etc... Others have had the SAME results with there later model 3 cyls. and the srd header.
It DOES make power, but at higher rpms, that's why I'm skeptical about it INCREASING mileage, but what works for one......... :-)
Porting out your STOCK manifold and port matching it helps alot....I also shift at 55-60 in 3rd with the punched out manifold......the thing f'n SCREAMS. ;-)

Jimmy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:45 am 
Sad but True...

im sure you would get a mileage improvement if you drove it the same as before, freeer flowing is just less restrictive, and obviously the flow difference is noticable in the higher rpms

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:59 pm 

Thank you swift13b.

I should add one or two WARNINGS. The suzukird header is intended for racing. It is lower than your stock pipe, a litte less ground clearence, watch speed bumps. Also according to Andy, their rep., it is not smog approved in all 50 states. That sold me! =) I installed the header myself, shop flaired the flange, I clamped it together and drove to shop to add the cat. back Catco Cat. and glasspack. No local shop would touch the header. Also the O2 bung and Bolt-on Flange up the price plus shipping. Andy was very nice to talk to and very informative.

Thanks for the porting info. jimmyjr. I'm not able to have that done right now. Call SRD and ask about the light or weld on an eBay Bung maybe? My bolt-ons have made the Geo run much better with much more power, BUT I drive 5 mph under the speed limit, shift at 4K, keep my foot out of it except when being passed and occasionally coast home from the corner hence the mpg saving. I'm happy you are SCREAMING! :-P

Keep us posted 97metroheaven.

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:18 am 

so overall,
If you ad a free flowing exhaust and a CAI
and drive it nicely (no speeding, no mashing the gas, coasting, 55mph, etc)
then it WILL improve the gas mileage?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:01 am 

Anything that improves performance from the engine is "potentially" able to provide more miles per gallon. The problem is that once the power has increased, most people will tend to use that power much more often, which results in lower mpg numbers!

If you install a good flowing intake system, header, and a complete exhaust system, the engine will breathe much easier and create more horsepower. Only you have control over whether to drive it exactly as you did before those improvements. This includes starting off from lights/stopsigns, etc. exactly as you've done before!

The only way I can imagine being able to do this is by using a g-force meter, something similar to a G-tech, before you modify the car, then once modified, religiously watch that meter to make sure you don't exceed previous numbers! A bit silly if you ask me, but it should increase mileage if you're reminded not to play with the skinny pedal so much!!!

Chris