TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:50 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:59 pm 

Between stop and go city use to highway - I am not seeing the 40s too often in the city - of course these are short trips usually with AC on...

I am almost positive that the AC use, and the short hops with many lights are the variable and the culprit here - I am seeing 27-33 MPG under these conditions.

I have seen 150 miles on 3 gallons before so I believe everything is working OK.

I did see 66 ONE TIME ONLY and that was not an average, that was 66 miles on one gallon of fuel so there was not a lot of varible conditions to diminsh mileage.

I did add 14 X 7 wheels with 195 60 14s and I am thinking these may be hurting in town, but maybe helping at higher speeds....

I calculated a 1/10th mile loss every 6 miles on the highway based on GPS and mile marker readings, so the recorded mileage is very close to actual even with the 14 inch rolling stock - makes me wonder how many 13 inch drivers are getting exagerated MPG figures since the speedo is so close with the 14s.

I also fill my tank very carefully until I can see fuel just above the trap door on the filler tube EVERY time so I think I am getting a consistant volume.....

One thing the intake preheat unit has been throwing a code and I have not replaced it yet - does this effect anything? Does it trigger a safe mode loop or a limp mode loop?

I need to get that part and correct the issue, although I have cleared the code and the light never triggered several times for drives and nothing seems to change.....

Let me hear your thoughts - thanks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:39 pm 

its probably the A/C... My gas mileage without A/C is like 47-49mpg, and with A/C on its like 35-37mpg.. (this is combined 75% hwy, 25% city)

A/C is a huge drain on the engine. You can actually feel the compressor kick in when you turn on the a/c, it probably feels like you're pulling a small trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:24 am 

Yes, it does vary drastically, that's why I don't pay any attention to anything less than a full tank (ten gallons). I don't get excited about anything less than three full tanks, paying attention to the middle one IF the ones before and after are in the same ballpark. Too much opportunity for air bubbles in the tank to be confident that any one fill is full.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:13 pm 

Good information - good to hear - I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop on this car - I am very pleased and also very worried at the same time - when I see the higher figures I feel as if I have driven it right and used it the way it was built tobe used -

When I see the lower figures I am afraid something is showing its age or mileage - or I have done something wrong in my driving -

Yes I believe it is the AC too - like you said - shutting it off when goin up a hill is almost like downshifting! I love it though - I have mine blowing 40 degrees dipping to 35 on the cycles....the only colder air I ever had beside that was in a 1969 Chevelle that would hurt the occupants ears like winter wind, and one Fiero we filled with propane....it would ice...

I love smirking at Yaris', Fits, Aveos and Cobalts (I KNOW what they really get), and the rest - I have a total of about 1500 bucks in this thing including my aftermarket wheels and tires, and new just about everything - interior is perfect, body is damn near perfect and no rust underneath, inside the engine is all silver - no sludge or varnish.

I wouldn't sell it on ebay like some for $6K no way - It will pay me that within a year or less.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:36 pm 

econoboxer wrote:
I wouldn't sell it on ebay like some for $6K no way - It will pay me that within a year or less.

AMEN to that!! Same thing I say.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:30 pm 

Nice avitar! -Ted the newbie

AMEN to that!! Same thing I say.[/quote]