TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:07 am 

It appears as though I've lost my capacity for Rational Thought.....Anyway, I Very Recently put a set of 185/80/13's on my Metro (Yeah, they RUB a bit). According to SuperFly's Handy Dandy conversion link my SPEEDOMETER will now read 8% SLOW ( 50 mph is now actually 54.166 mph) My Question: What about the ODOMETER ??....Is 100 Miles now 108.166 Miles ??This addled brained old man turns to Team Swift for the answer....Damned Aluminium Cans anyhow......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:15 am 

A fair question. I hope all gas mizers remember to include this factor! As far as i know they are all linked and any change will be linear -- I have checked a few.
=)
Apparently early Metros had 145/70R12 so the speedo is already slow with 155/70R12.

aluminum may affect your mind :drunk: :drunk:
estrogen from some warm plastic bottles may enlarge your breasts :wink: :wink:

You were close: 100 Miles is now 108.332 Miles. every 0.166 helps! :lol:

daily driver: red 1991 Metro 3cyl 5sp, roof rack, 8 degree advance,
got 61 mpg combined on 14" tires but i prefer 12"

completed frame up restoration: black 1994 Swift GT 5sp -- like new ! 45mpg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:14 am 

Are they linked? My '87 Sprint speedo and odometer aren't quite aligned. I noticed that my odometer was off about 5%. When my odo reads 1 mile, according to the mile markers alongside the road, I've only gone .95 mile. I've checked this for several miles on more than one trip and it is always the same. Because of this, I always deduct about 5% from my mpg to get an accurate mileage reading.
So I stopped my local cop and asked him to check me with his radar so I could actually know how far off my speedo was. He checked me at 35 mph and my speedo was dead on. Also at 60 mph with same results. So what gives? How can my speedo and odo not BOTH be right or both be wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:48 am 

1Ray wrote:
Are they linked? ... How can my speedo and odo not BOTH be right or both be wrong?

i will examine a cluster to see how that could happen. i only have a Mk2.

Is it possible his radar is 5% high? to remove any doubt in GA the judges don't want to see tickets for less than 9 mph over.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:17 pm 

Here we go. Ready. 60 mph = a mile a minute, so the way to check your Speedometer is to get your car up to what you believe is 60, keep it steady and time the mile markers. This is much easier if you have a cruise control, but it's not necessary if you can keep it steady without a cruise control. You need to time how long it takes between mile markers. The amount of time it takes to pass a mile marker is directly related to your mph.

Here is the magic formula.

3600 devided by seconds=mph. Don't believe me, here's an example. You are actually driving 60mph the formula will look like this. 3600/60 seconds=60 mph. ( the / means devided by) Here is another example. If it takes 51 seconds to travel between mile markers the formula looks like this. 3600/51 seconds=70.588 mph. So an interval between mile markers of 51 seconds means that you averaged 70.588mph between those markers. Or more simply you were going 71.

When I was young and had a car without a speedometer I kept a little chart on the dash to let me know how fast I was going on the highway. The only problem is that mile markers are only available on major highways, and speeding tickets are available everywhere.

Another thing that I would recomond is to drive the same piece of road in another car to see if other odometers measure it the same way as yours or not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:33 pm 

DeadAt40 wrote:
Here we go. Ready. 60 mph = a mile a minute, so the way to check your Speedometer is to get your car up to what you believe is 60, keep it steady and time the mile markers. This is much easier if you have a cruise control, but it's not necessary if you can keep it steady without a cruise control. You need to time how long it takes between mile markers. The amount of time it takes to pass a mile marker is directly related to your mph.

Here is the magic formula.

3600 devided by seconds=mph. Don't believe me, here's an example. You are actually driving 60mph the formula will look like this. 3600/60 seconds=60 mph. ( the / means devided by) Here is another example. If it takes 51 seconds to travel between mile markers the formula looks like this. 3600/51 seconds=70.588 mph. So an interval between mile markers of 51 seconds means that you averaged 70.588mph between those markers. Or more simply you were going 71.

When I was young and had a car without a speedometer I kept a little chart on the dash to let me know how fast I was going on the highway. The only problem is that mile markers are only available on major highways, and speeding tickets are available everywhere.

Another thing that I would recomond is to drive the same piece of road in another car to see if other odometers measure it the same way as yours or not.

Thanks, I knew how to check my mph without a speedo. I was just wondering if the speedo and odometer could be giving different readings. I know the odo is off about 5%. I've checked it on different roads; got the same values. Since I don't have cruise and it's a bit difficult to hold the same mph for a couple of miles (to average my readings). So that's why I used my local cop's radar for a mph. But I will TRY to check my mph using the road side markers and see what I come up with........
Catch you all later. Have a great Labor Day weekend. I'll be gone fishin til Monday. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:08 pm 

xrw44 wrote:
1Ray wrote:
Are they linked? ... How can my speedo and odo not BOTH be right or both be wrong?

i will examine a cluster to see how that could happen. i only have a Mk2.

Looking at a pair of Mk2 speedo
the speedo is direct drive on the speedo cable.
the odometer runs off a series of 4 plastic gears connected to the speedo cable.
There is little chance of the speedo going wrong but the odometer/tripmeter could.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:39 pm 

I have also noticed a difference in odometer mileage vs. marked mileage. My main odometer is broken, but I use the trip to figure my gas mileage and total mileage. Every time I reset the trip odometer, I get varied results. I've seen everything from .76 =1 mile to .93 = 1 mile. Whatever number I get is consistent until the next time I reset the trip. My speedometer has remained accurate despite the odometer problems.
Larry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:42 pm 

c140flyer wrote:
Every time I reset the trip odometer, I get varied results. I've seen everything from .76 =1 mile to .93 = 1 mile. Whatever number I get is consistent until the next time I reset the trip.
Larry

i once had a tripmeter that stuck on 000 for awhile. does yours? it may need cleaning.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:16 pm 

hear are 19 parts in a GT speedo on Crack. :D i once was a draftsman!
The tripmeter (#13) requires parts 10-19. The basic speedo/odometer (like in a Metro) only requires 9 parts!

Attachments:
SpeedoGTpartsSML.jpg
SpeedoGTpartsSML.jpg [ 60.13 KIB | Viewed 908 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:28 am 

xrw44 wrote:
hear are 19 parts in a GT speedo on Crack. :D i once was a draftsman!
The tripmeter (#13) requires parts 10-19. The basic speedo/odometer (like in a Metro) only requires 9 parts!

Thanks, I apreciate the info. As long as my speedo is right, I don't think I'll worry about fixing the odometer. I'll just keep checking the mile markers to make sure it doesn't change any more and subtract about 5% from my mileage to get the mpg's.