TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hydrogen Generator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:36 am 

I have been reading about the hydrogen generators that you can build for under $100. Has anyone tried one? Is so what kind of MPG increase did you get?

Post subject: Re: Hydrogen Generator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:59 am 

Its nonsense.
It doesn't work.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:56 am 

Agreed. But don't let the fact that it has no scientific rationale discourage you. It certainly hasn't stopped anyone in the "Run your car on water" thread I started as a joke...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:31 pm 

I kind of thought it was nonsense, if it were that good all car manufactures would have them on all cars.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:54 pm 
Sad but True...

b_cole wrote:
I kind of thought it was nonsense, if it were that good all car manufactures would have them on all cars.

but isnt the conspiracists argument that the oil companies keep it all under wraps?

lol is conspiracists a word???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:25 am 

Have any of you tried one? I have built two different units One will produce 1.5 liters per minute and the second a little over 2 liters per minute. Both units were hooked up to my turbo sprint, each at a different time. The two liters per minute one seems to be a little to much for the alternator and battery that I have in there but should be managed better when I get my PWM. As of yet I have no MPG results as I haven't put either unit in my car but, so I am not "Counting my chickens before they're hatched" but I have seen some very good results as far as production goes. I am not saying any of this to sell anything as I don't plan on selling anything but I have been researching this route for some time and wondered why most on Team Swift call this a scam. I haven't come across any that have said they tried it and it's useless. Please let me know. Thanks, Otto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:43 am 

I don't believe you.
I have actually worked on hydrogen generators for industrial applications (heat treating furnaces), and find it impossible to beleive that you can manufacture 2 litres per minute.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:35 am 
Sad but True...

or have enough control to regulate the hydrogen on varying rpms/manifold vacuum.

I also dont believe you though

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:20 pm 

I found this to be an interesting read.
http://www.savefuel.ca/hydrogen/smallpr ... arproducts

I have a friend of mine who is an automotive engineer.He claims hes built them before and had great succes.But hes says to make one to put out enough hho to do what we would expect of them.The cars electrical system is not capable of producing that much juice.The one he built and operated on a geo metro 1.0l used 4 deepcycle optima batteries in the trunk.It was still an assist type system.He says major ecu modifications are required to get the full benefit.

Ive asked him about the above link.He said that those systems will help some.But at freeway speeds the fuel demand is to high and they cant give you enough to do anything.But if you want to try to hho an engine our g10's would be the prime canidate because of there small demand on fuel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:47 pm 

In addition the car's electrical system not providing enough juice, any juice it does provide costs you fuel economy and power through the alternator's drag on the system.

HOwever, if you were to put several deep cycle batteries, then, yeah, you might be able to pull something off. MAYBE. But you are essentially doing is building a hybrid. You drain the juice out of the batteries to produce hydrogen to burn and make power. You'll have to charge the batteries from an outside source otherwise you negate any gains. Considering the best ICE's are less than 40% efficient, you'd be better off doing a real hybrid w/ an electric assist motor which can be over 90% efficient in normal use.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:11 pm 

What every one here is forgetting is that fuel from the pump is Expensive! bout 4 bucks a gallon here. If it takes several amps from a good battery to make hydrogen from water the issue isn't making enough hydrogen to run a car it is being able to control the mixture. my partner and I have made a 24 plate cell in plexiglass that will put out over 3.5 liters per minute. The cell pulls an intial 40 amps for about two minutes and then drops to about 15. Which is still alot. Our thinking is it will cost to run any fuel, but anything is cheaper than gas. I still can't upload pics yet, but working on it. Check out our inspiration sites yourself. http://www.gethydropower.com. google Roy mcallister.- teaches hydrogen theory. He has a metro that uses a hydrogen tank to supplement other fuel. Changes timing and voila' easy 60 plus mpg. I can' t yet say how many liters of hho gas it takes to change fuel mileage, but we're getting there. Some issues we are having in our experiment: the cell itself very heavy, 70 pounds with 316 stainless steel plates, water, and heavy gauge wiring. Another small container filled with water for our bubbler(safety precaution), Potassium hydroxide(lye as our electrolyte) is costic and eats all sorts of plastic and glue, time and money. oh yeah were to put it. Currently we are building a structure to sit the contraption on the lower radiator support of my xfi metro. sooner or later I will post pics of car and all of the above when I fork out the dough for a new camera.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:57 pm 

I'm not sure about this or water injection, but I had a customer in about a month ago with....I believe a water injection/water warmer setup on his Buick Rendezvous. He swears he was getting 32(?)mpg instead of 22 or 24. Just what he said-not claiming truth...not first-hand from me. I say don't listen to anyone, if you want to do IT, so be it-SCREW THEM ALL AND FIND YOUR OWN RESULTS! 8)

PS-share HONEST results though. Same driving style, etc....

Last edited by disrespected3cyl on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:09 pm 
Sad but True...

I have water injection, but I assure you it has nothing to do with increasing my mileage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:11 pm 

swift-you used yours for....? Turbo...? :lol: