TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:41 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:05 pm 

I was on a gov.site. It said that convertions had to be done by certifyed installers, cause this is EPA and Carb regulated. I was on the Omnitek Advanced Technology site. Has convertion kits, starting at about $1900. I got the impression that you could switch b/t gas and cng by the flip of a switch. Your emission controls are still intact?

Rez

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:44 am 
Teamswift Racer

Emmision will still be intact, yes you can flick it over with a switch but the car needs to be running, cng is horrible stuff, LPG is much much better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:48 pm 

The problem with "flip of the switch" conversions is this: CNG has fewer BTU's and burns slower than gasoline, even slower than methanol. What I have read suggests to get these conversions to run decent, your 'flip of the switch' needs to also address ignision timing. That is, it needs to advance he ignition timing a fair amount when on the CNG, retard back to OEM specs when running on gas.

But the performance still suffers. In order to get some of the 'OEM on gas' performance back, you need to raise the mechanical compression ratio. There's no 'flip of the switch' solution to that problem, that I am aware of.

The better running CNG vehicles are strictly CNG, no switching back and forth. I've yet to drive one, but have done a fair amount of reading ont he subject. Should a civic CNG with home Phil unit come up for sale for a bargin, I'd have to buy it. I could home phil my CNG tank for about $2/gallon of gas equivelent, and we have enough commercial CNG filling stations around the SF Bay Area to make owning a CNG commuter car viable, so long as I have a second car.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:15 am 
Teamswift Racer

Having driven both CNG and LPG on a long term basis I can assure you that CNG is horrible stuff, it is significantly slower than petrol and the 2000psi tank pressures scare me :ez_eek:
LPG is a much better alternative, it has an octane rating of 115 points and dedicated vehicles perform as good and sometimes better than petrol and the much lower tank pressure (200psi) means a much lighter tank.