TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:55 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:51 am 

Well I just had a new stainless steel exhaust put on my son's metro. Someday it should be mine when he gets another car. This might not be the right area to post this, but again I could not find anything that would relate. Anyways the first piece was from the exhaust manifold including the converter and past it. The installer could not match the price even in regular steel. I bought it off the internet. A catco converter with 904 pipes attached for it. Here is the link.

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/geome ... 02018.html

I do not know if their are different grades of 904 stainless? But the pipes that were welded on it were stamped/ painted 904. What really surprised me is it said it was all made in the USA. No problems, with the install. Good fit.

Now for the rest of the exhaust I wanted a Magna Flow muffler. The installer said they had one that was a 14 inch universal one with 2 inch inlet and outlet. I ask if it was Stainless he called them back and said yes. I then asked if he could make up the rest of the exhaust in Stainless which he had a hard time getting. But he was able to get it. Well from the pipe that connects off the converter back it is 2 inches. I was worried about low end performance, and that it might be loud, or not sounding right, since the ressonator was now going to be a 2 inch pipe. The results were it sounded fine. Just a little louder than I would like by about 20% if I had to assign a number to it. I have not noticed any loss of low end, and I think that the gas millage might be improved. He never checks the millage, it has always been good.

Take Care

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:17 pm 

Oh, hey, Geo3, could check the mileage?
Darn, stainless. Oh, well, I also love my Catco. Sweet. Maybe your 14" Magnaflow would be a bit quieter than my 12" Jones Thunderbolt glasspack. I also added a thin layer of aluminum/foam insulation under my carpet.

Still, you might put a chrome, or otherwise, tip on the muffler. If the exhaust does not extend beyond the bumper it may be resonating a lot of noise under the bumper. My tip helps maybe that 20%. It's a chrome 45 DEG. angle cut tip (CarQuest $10?). It's a Geo, chrome would be good, no, wait, polished stainless? That's cool, my moon disk hubcaps are polished stainless and I like it. First page of my album if you wish to look.

Just a thought. Might let your son know I'm happy for him and I hope he enjoys and appreciates his good fortune: his Dad and his Geo.

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:12 pm 

Hi,
I asked him more than a few times if he could check the gas mileage. He say's its fine. Meaning he is happy with it, and he only has put gas in once every 3 weeks or so. When and if I get it I will check the mileage on it.
The one junkyard over here lets you take parts off. Seen a few metro's in it. I found it strange that all of the Automatics had tach in them. Everyone of them had one or more of the gauges broken.

Take Care

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:18 am 

I just added a Sunpro 3.5" tach to the wife's '96 5-speed 1.0 Geo. So far she loves it. No looking down to see the shift light (3,000 rpm). Need to fix the dimmer switch (no pick-n-pull) which broke trying to install the Glowshift tach. The Glowshift is history. Never worked well, small 18-22 gauge wires, no suggestions from tech support, short warranty.

Well, if he is happy and the car is happy I guess we are happy, eh. :( :) :D :lol:

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.