TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:24 am 

The theory is acetone, aids combustion by altering gasoline surface tension or molecular structure.
So, October 15th I decided to put 3 oz of acetone in my 10.5 gallon '91 metro and see if it works. Next day I'm chatting about acetone with Joe who owns the local CarQuest and graduated from WYO Tech. A customer chimes in and says 'if there's water in the fuel the acetone will crystalize.' Eeek, I went down and put 2.5 gallons in my tank to dilute it and calculated 50.1 mpg. That's low even for just my driving around town.

Went home, thought about it. I got a glass jar, 1/2 filled it with gas, added a cap of acetone and two drops of water. I also added a dirty bolt, some rubber hose, a thermoset plastic part and an O-ring. About once a week I shook the jar.

Well, my gas mileage is down to 48.2 but with 4 per day 1 mile trips because we moved this last week. A lot of warming up even though I have a coolant heater. Nothing over 30 miles RT and the Geo was parked for 1 week. So I can't claim any increase in mpg. Removing the battery caused the CPU to reset. The ambient temperature has dropped 10 deg. to 30F low/50's high.

The crystals never formed, at least not a month later. So far the customer is wrong.

Ah, the evidence. I got pictures. Taken with a Nikon D-70, no flash, afternoon light from the left. The jar on the right was just filled from the same gas can.

My conclusion so far is no crystals and no immediate, one tank, mpg improvement for my Geo Metro. The debate continues....

Attachments:
File comment: This shows the date, acetone and water solution.
Unshaken1.jpg
Unshaken1.jpg [ 52.36 KIB | Viewed 1088 times ]
File comment: This shows the difference in clarity - without shaking the bottle.
unshaken3.jpg
unshaken3.jpg [ 57.19 KIB | Viewed 1090 times ]
File comment: This shows the sediment stirred up by shaking, not stirring, the jar.
shaken4.jpg
shaken4.jpg [ 50.53 KIB | Viewed 1090 times ]
File comment: This is unshaken, showing NO crystals.
unshaken2CLOSE.jpg
unshaken2CLOSE.jpg [ 54.57 KIB | Viewed 1088 times ]

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

Last edited by BadBent on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:43 am 

i know that it can make some plastic parts brittle

'98 Chevy K2500
'76 Harley Davidson FXE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:46 pm 

I've tried it for a couple months last year ad saw no change in mpg. The reccommended concentration (less than 0.1%) of acetone is so low I doubt it can cause problems.