TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:51 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fuel for Thought
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:23 pm 

Where I live there are a couple of gas stations advertising "NO Ethanol". Another 10 to 20
miles further than my last couple of tanks of Shell with 10% ethanol. 1.5 - 2 Mpg increase.
Hmmmm less timing ping also.
All the "big" gas companies are now advertising 10% ethanol on the pumps.Makes more money for them.The Kevin Harvick commercial for Dirty engines is right on though.I've been inside a couple of engines that used cheap gas & seen the carbon buildup on the valves.
But I can add my own fuel injector cleaner. I should have remembered this from my racing days.Had a street car I would occaisionaly run on the 1/4 mile. Had a 8 gallon moon tank in the trunk I would fill with racing alcohol.I would change the mettering plates on the Holley for the racing fuel.It took a lot larger jets #95s for the alcohol than the stock #69s for pump gas.(as I recall)
A friend of mine has a E85 chevrolet & says he does'nt get as good of mileage when
using the e85.I believe the e85 blend has more ethanol than the other fuels.Evidently the
ECM must retard the timing automaticly for the E85.
If you live where it's cold the 10% ethanol fuel probably acts as a fuel anti-freeze.But If
you see some ethanol free gas give it a try & see if your mpg picks up a bit.

Post subject: Re: Fuel for Thought
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:32 pm 

Ethanol seems to be a bad idea (according to the media and bloggers) after millions of taxpayer dollars have have been spent. It will likely disappear when better power sources are developed. I avoid ethanol just to be safe.
QT is cheaper and non ethanol. they guarantee their gas. ie keep all gas receipts and prove engine failed from gas. :lol: :lol: :lol:

daily driver: red 1991 Metro 3cyl 5sp, roof rack, 8 degree advance,
got 61 mpg combined on 14" tires but i prefer 12"

completed frame up restoration: black 1994 Swift GT 5sp -- like new ! 45mpg

Post subject: Re: Fuel for Thought
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:02 am 

The oil company doesn't make more money from ethanol. They're in business to sell oil, if they sell ethanol, they have to buy it from farmers. The government mandated oxygenated gas. There are two economical ways to do this, adding an incredibly harmful chemical called MTBE, or adding ethanol, which is cleaner burning than gas. They went the MTBE route for five years or so until it started showing up in the soil and water, now they've switched to ethanol which was a better solution to start with but makes them share some of the money with the farmers.

Ethanol contains 2/3 the energy of gas, that's why your mileage goes down, the BTU's simply aren't there. It needs to be fed in at a slightly richer mixture, but should allow you to run MORE timing advance, gaining back a little bit of the loss. Most pump gas is e10, meaning 10% ethanol, expect a 3.5% decrease in mileage, on a 40 mpg car this will be 1.5 mpg. e85 is 85% ethanol, expect a 30% decrease in mileage, but it costs a lot less, may be worth it.

Ethanol dissolves some things that gas does not, will clean your injectors and backs of your valves a little, but in concentrations as high as e85 it can dissolve rubber seals and hoses not specifically designed for it.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency