TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:59 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tandem Metro
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:17 pm 

See attached sketch of proposed tandem seating Metro

Car will have Swift / Metro drive train built for economy.

Chassis tubular steel, body material not decided.

Anyone care to speculate on MPG at 60 mph?

TH
http://www.livesteaming.com/metro.htm

Attachments:
Tandem Metro.jpg
Tandem Metro.jpg [ 252.24 KIB | Viewed 1008 times ]

Post subject: Re: Tandem Metro
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:57 pm 

Have you been here:http://aptera.com/?

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:01 am 

Yes......however, I live in Washington.

Just how Aptera are going to fully enforce their ban on non California sales I do not know.

Of course the Aptera is all Electric whereas my effort is simply to repackage the Metro drive train.

The XR-3 www.rqriley.com/xr3.htm is also of considerable interest as the drive train can be developed in stages.

TH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:26 am 

Quote:
Of course the Aptera is all Electric whereas my effort is simply to repackage the Metro drive train. The XR-3 http://www.rqriley.com/xr3.htm is also of considerable interest as the drive train can be developed in stages.

I recognize Robert Q. Riley Enterprises, I like their design for the Ground Hugger Recumbent bicyclehttp://www.rqriley.com/xr2.htm . If only I owned my own garage....

Quite possible to build a Metro drivetrain on a frame and drop the xr3 body on it. The G10 engine weighs just 100 lbs. so you might go with a FWD xr3 and a free spinning rear wheel. But that gets away from your tandem design.

Or not, if the drivetrain was all upfront you could have it as long as a Lincoln Continental with a monocoque design, and teardrop the read end with the free spinning rear wheel, use the space around it for a trunk.

If our 3 bangers shed the box and lost 300 lbs of weight you could think of pushing 100 mpg?

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:15 am 

Trevors thoughts seem excellent to me.
Something along the lines of the Aptera but in a tandem config with a Metro
engine driving the front wheels.

Lightweight with minimal frontal area is a good formula for max mpg.

I'll buy one if you'll make it.
Good luck,
Pres

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:33 am 

Thinking is rear wheel drive to allow narrowest frontal area.

It is already proven that the radiators on these cars when car is tuned for economy need little outside air as long as the coolant circulation is good.

Dry weight I would think should be 1000 to 1200 lbs, maybe less?

Yes I would think 100 mpg is possible and that will be the goal.

I will not part out my XFI immediately, maybe not at all but will buy a second standard Metro and use parts from that for the mock up, initial testing.

Initially, car will probably have a small windshield rather than a canopy as I'm sure the biggest challenge on the whole project will be (a) Making the canopy and (b) Cooling the cockpit.

Will have to chat with a couple of the "Fly Metro" Guy's

I have a place to build and test drive the car.

Using the VIN and license plate from the early 90's donor car should, I would think keep the road legal issues to a minimum.

TH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:33 pm 

Not to be presumptuous but have you been to recumbent streamliner project web sites?
http://www.recumbents.com/home.asp?URL=wisil/whatsup.htm

I was thinking FWD and keeping the front end "intact" might be easier but if you can make it a RWD streamliner you might get motorcycle registration. Maybe a P-40 fighter aircraft type air scoop? Even a small hole in the nose will provide some forced air ventilation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:33 am 

Fully intend to keep the registration for the donor car for less hassle.

While it was proven by http://1989geometro.com/ that a partial reduction in frontal area can result in a substantial improvement.

I believe Doug Heffron would have gone on to build a similar car to the one proposed had his interest not changed to aircraft.

Yes some kind of forced ventilation will have to be included. Not sure about what to do when stuck in traffic though...

TH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:38 am 

Battery operated fan? Drive in your FTL's and tint the windows.

94 GEO METRO PARTS FOR SALE EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!!
94 XFI rust bucket
96 Honda Accord