TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:48 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:51 pm 

I have a 96 metro 1.3L. I got a 95 1.3L cam friom the junkyard. Two of the lobes have some surface rust with slight pitting that I can see and feel by running my fingernail over it. One spot is on the high spot on 1 cam and the other is on the low spot on the cam next to it. When a cam is sent in for regrinding does the whole lobe get ground or just the high side? I'm guessing the rust is only 1 or 2 thousandths of an inch thick so any grinding would take it off. I do not know if I should send in this cam to be reground or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:00 am 

pm superfly

'98 Chevy K2500
'76 Harley Davidson FXE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:36 am 

As long as there isn't any pitting where the cam rides in the head. The fit there should not be ground or it will cause excessive clearances and loss of oil pressure. If you have minor rust there you can use some metal polish and a clean rag to clean it up with. The cam lobes will be reground and a clean up pass on the base circle of the lobe. So a little rust is ok!

You can get your cam Parkerized or Parco treated and that can and will fill in minor imperfections in the cam. My understanding of parco treating is it coats the cam with a very light oil holding porous coating. This allows the cam to retain more oil during the break in period. A cam is said to be broken in.... with 20 mins of running at 2000 RPM. You break in a cam with the car in nuetral and at the moment it starts keep the rpms at 2000 rpm for 20 mins. More cams have failed due to the failure to follow this very crucial step! I use Lucas cam lube for initial start up when I install a cam. There are many good brands of cam lube for initial start up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:13 am 

Vert Guy wrote:

You can get your cam Parkerized or Parco treated and that can and will fill in minor imperfections in the cam. My understanding of parco treating is it coats the cam with a very light oil holding porous coating. This allows the cam to retain more oil during the break in period. A cam is said to be broken in.... with 20 mins of running at 2000 RPM. You break in a cam with the car in nuetral and at the moment it starts keep the rpms at 2000 rpm for 20 mins. More cams have failed due to the failure to follow this very crucial step! I use Lucas cam lube for initial start up when I install a cam. There are many good brands of cam lube for initial start up.

Parkerizing is an etching process that essentially bathes the cam in a heated acid solution. The result is a slightly etched surface, allowing better lubrication retention.
There is no material added. Material is removed. Break in is not required with these cams and lifters. Just put it in, and go.