TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:14 pm 
smart@ss

so that's what I'm getting in my 91 GT. I just did about 800 highway miles at steady 65-70 mph and averaged 39.8 mpg. Now when I drive it in the city ( 10 to 15 miles daily trips ) I get about 23 mpg. I can't figure it out why there's such a gap in mpg. The car is heavier by about 150lbs when being driven in the city but that shouldn't drop the economy by 16 mpg, right?
Any ideas?

http://sierraclub.com/exxposeexxon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:59 pm 

:D Ask your right foot, quall.... :D

Do you have heavy rims and tires? That takes alot to get rolling in this Chicago traffic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:04 pm 

Depends on how many starts and stops. I can't imagine it has anything to do with the car, and more to do with the driver.

I'm not saying skill, I'm saying habits. When I'm driving around the city in my GTi, I'm usually in 4th gear. I think in MPG my difference between city and highway is close to 3 mpg, no more.

The less you tap your brakes....

Also, since the car basically runs off the oxygen sensor, maybe yours is buggered a bit. Off and on the gas is bad for fuel economy too, because the oxygen sensor plays a huge part in fuel injection time, so the more you vary, the harder it is for you car to judge how much to inject.

Don't gun it off the start to get rolling. Might piss people off, but whatever. Everyone needs to slow down out there.

I love driving in Chicago/St. Cloud road. Awesome drivers you guys have down there. Some people call it the "armpit of the world". Have you heard that before?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:34 pm 

qwall wrote:
... in my 91 GT. I just did about 800 highway miles at steady 65-70 mph and averaged 39.8 mpg.

40 is great :D

qwall wrote:
Now when I drive it in the city ( 10 to 15 miles daily trips ) I get about 23 mpg. I can't figure it out why there's such a gap in mpg. The car is heavier by about 150lbs when being driven in the city but that shouldn't drop the economy by 16 mpg, right?
Any ideas?

the extra wt could drop you 3-4mpg
the rest is likely eaten during acceleration and higher rpm.
a light foot saves gas. you can install a $20 vacuum gauge if you want to see the effect. i learned my idea of "light" was still moderate.

daily driver: red 1991 Metro 3cyl 5sp, roof rack, 8 degree advance,
got 61 mpg combined on 14" tires but i prefer 12"

completed frame up restoration: black 1994 Swift GT 5sp -- like new ! 45mpg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:43 pm 

check for tommy hiding in the back seat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:52 pm 
Sad but True...

its all about acceleration

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:48 am 
smart@ss

I should add that I rarely get the rpms above 3500-4000 when driving it on a daily basis. I let the car accelerate on "its own" so to speak. Also it just so happens that I don't drive in heavy traffic, usually leave home before traffic starts and avoid it on the way home.I don't get stopped in bumper to bumper traffic, I have 13 inch tires, interior behind the front seats it completely stripped ( other than TGstring riding dirty =) )...
I'm pretty much convinced that it's the o2 sensor, I'll replace it along with fuel filter.

Just to compare, my turbo 89 GTi gets me about 29 highway/24 city when I drive it and I do get on that thing from time to time =)

Thanks guys for the replies.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:03 am 

It's not about RPMs, it's about how your gas foot is asking your injectors to fire. Under heavy load, our cars will fire all the injectors every 2nd uh turn of the engine instead of every 4th turn, and also extends injection time. Those use up gas, not necessarily high RPMs.

Like climbing a long hill in a low gear might not be the most fuel efficient.

Anyway, when I'm city driving, if I have to come to a stop, my acceleration rate is, oh, how do I describe it? Very slow. Almost as slow as a fully-loaded semi. Not quite that slow but almost, and of course the semi's shift from 2nd to 3rd can be quite dramatic and slow when you're behind em. Dramatically slow that is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:24 pm 
smart@ss

kaboler wrote:
It's not about RPMs, it's about how your gas foot is asking your injectors to fire. Under heavy load, our cars will fire all the injectors every 2nd uh turn of the engine instead of every 4th turn, and also extends injection time. Those use up gas, not necessarily high RPMs.

Like climbing a long hill in a low gear might not be the most fuel efficient.

Anyway, when I'm city driving, if I have to come to a stop, my acceleration rate is, oh, how do I describe it? Very slow. Almost as slow as a fully-loaded semi. Not quite that slow but almost, and of course the semi's shift from 2nd to 3rd can be quite dramatic and slow when you're behind em. Dramatically slow that is.

Oh, ok.
So I should cut off my right foot then? :drunk: