TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:40 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:22 pm 

I have an MPGuino installed in my '93 vert and can watch the instant MPG while I drive. Over the past two days I have noticed that my mileage has dropped (during cruise) from around 60 to 55. I drive the same 16 miles (32 round trip) to work each day and I am always right around 60 or so. The temp dropped maybe 15-20 degrees over the past couple of days. I just started doing high MPG Geo stuff so this is the first time I have experienced driving the car in the cold and seeing the effects. Would the cold intake air affecting my MPGs that much? If so, I guess I will repipe my intake for warmer air.

http://www.lightweightmiata.com/geo/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:18 am 

I would say yes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:55 pm 

Colder weather drastically affects fuel economy my friend. I use a block heater year round to prevent cold start and warm-up time. You would be surprised what this mod will do for fuel economy.

• Build Video
  • 1991 4 Door Truck Conversion
  • Modified Suzuki 1.0L Engine
  • High Stall 3200 RPM Converter
  • Auto Trans with Welded Differential
  • Custom Exhaust and Intake System
  • 6" Suspension Lift & Weight Reduction
  • 27" Kenda Executioner 6 Ply ATV tires

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:24 pm 

i noticed in my sidekick which isn't the best on gas to begin with (about 23-25mpg), sidekick sport auto 1.8L
in cold, if i let it warm up for about 5 mins (luckily it has remote start)
its a noticable difference in milage i get per tank (60L tank)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:02 pm 

I ended up pulling the cold air induction pipe from the air cleaner and doing a complete grill block (plastic sheet held on with painters tape - temporary). The MPGs went up but I have been on vacation and have only driven the car twice since then. I will work on a more permanent solution soon.

Anyone have a link to any good "hot air induction" projects or pictures? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:56 pm 

JohnnyMullet wrote:
Colder weather drastically affects fuel economy my friend. I use a block heater year round to prevent cold start and warm-up time.

I tend to be concerned about my overall carbon footprint. To some extent, the block heater may be robbing Peter to pay Paul. (I take pride in my <700KWh/month electricity average, as well as my mpg figures.) And then again... it may be a net plus. Especially in the winter. I'm going to guess maybe 750 watts on a block heater? That's about 540 KWh per month if it were plugged in all the time. 180KWh per day at 8 hrs/day. I worked it out, some time back, and came up with something like "driving 6 miles in the Sprint is equivalent to using 1 KWh or electricity in the house WRT CO2 emission". (Electricity is surprisingly CO2 intensive. But we're slightly heavy on coal use here. 60% coal as opposed to about 50% for the US as a whole. Coal is high on the CO2/KWh ratio.)

So I think that a 750W heater, used even just 8 hrs a day would result in a (substantial) net increase in CO2 emissions for me. But maybe something with a thermostat, set to some modest differential from ambient?

I'll bet the heater does improve MPG figures significantly, though! :) And, of course, my personal goals are not binding upon everyone. Heaven knows I do stuff in the name of good MPG numbers that doesn't make sense in the grand scope of things.

-Steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:16 pm 

During the warm weather, my Kats heater is on a timer set at 15 minutes before I head off the work. During the winter months, the heater warms the entire cooling system in less than an hour.

• Build Video

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:16 pm 

JohnnyMullet wrote:
During the warm weather, my Kats heater is on a timer set at 15 minutes before I head off the work. During the winter months, the heater warms the entire cooling system in less than an hour.

How much power does the block heater draw? Could this be powered by the car's battery with enough left to start the car? That may decrease the carbon footprint a bit as well as allowing it to be used at work and while out shopping.

Tom

2000 Nissan Altima

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:32 pm 

Can't run it off the battery, it's 120 volts, not 12 volts.

You wouldn't want to do that anyway, because you'll add more load to your alternator, and probably wind up turning your battery into a block of ice instead.

The best thing to do is to plug it in 45 minutes before you drive. That's all you really need.

And idling is pointless past 30 seconds. Might as well get in, and drive softly for another 30 seconds, and the car is basically warmed up. You might not feel it in the passenger cabin, but there it is.

Also, when it's cold, your car is taking in colder air. Doesn't seem to burn as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:43 pm 

Living in Montana, with all the really cold weather we get I notice a substantial drop in MPG when the temp drops.
The injection system switches over to "cold cycle" for a very long time when it's below zero.
That combined with winter blend fuel drops my mileage from mid 40's in summer to mid 30's in the winter.
When I rebuild the engine this coming summer I will install a block and oil pan heater.
I could give a rats butt about my "carbon footprint", CO2 makes plants grow.
"Glow-bull Warmining" is a total money making scam for Al Gore and Wall Street.
The last ice age was over 12,000 years ago, it's supposed to be warmer now than in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:06 pm 

Are you a scientist?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:01 pm 

Yes, as a matter of fact I am. Have a degree in biology with emphasis in Anatomy and Physiology. I have also taken courses up to the 400 level in General and Organic Chemistry.
The only entity that wins in the Global Warming Scheme is Wall Street, they are already set up to make trillions off the back of you and I. Anyone with common sense should become informed beyond what the MSM and the Left tout about the subject. More true climatologists oppose the man made global warming theory than support it, many of the "scientists" trotted out by the believers are NOT climatologists.
20 years ago the alarm was "The Coming Ice-Age"!!!, in the future this will be just another laughable incident.
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:24 pm 

Wow, America sure can mix science, politics, and religion into quite a fine mess!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:59 am 

Well, back on topic, here are the modifications I did to combat the cold weather:

http://www.lightweightmiata.com/geo/warmair/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:46 pm 

I'm not trying to save the world. I just want to save some money on fuel =)

The planet will be fine :shock:

• Build Video