TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:29 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MPG with no mods?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:19 pm 

I see alot of mpg records for those that have done mods to improve MPG, but cant find much for mpg records on stock, unmodified swifts / metros / firelys.
So, Heres a start:
91 Metro XFi
no mods (to my knowlege)
Purchased at 87K miles

wost tank = 42 mpg
best tank = 51 mpg
average to date = 47 mpg

check out my website for detailed fill up records and info about my typical drive.

http://BestGasSipper.com

http://www.bestgassipper.com/The_Numbers.html

Post subject: Re: MPG with no mods?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:26 pm 

I'd say for cruising the SoCal freeways the 40's is very good. :D An average of 47 sounds excellent. :yeahyeah
My average in the week I spent in Orange County was 45 mpg, non-rush hour mostly. Then again, my Geo is not "normal." :lol:

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:12 pm 

heres mine , i drive 60 to 65 mph in the morning and on the way home in the afternoon i drive 65 to 70 mph, last tank i got 40.2 mpg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:09 pm 

Green Machine,
What are you driving? Lsi, XFi?
for 70mph, 40mpg sounds pretty good.

http://www.BestGasSipper.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:30 pm 

My wife's recently purchased and rebuilt 1997 Geo Metro 1.0L 5-speed has only one mod and that's the 3Tech 10 degree advanced timing gear. When she drives the car it gets around 45 MPG. With the way I drive, I can push almost 50 MPG from it................
Mr's Mullet's Extreme Metro Makeover

• Build Video
  • 1991 4 Door Truck Conversion
  • Modified Suzuki 1.0L Engine
  • High Stall 3200 RPM Converter
  • Auto Trans with Welded Differential
  • Custom Exhaust and Intake System
  • 6" Suspension Lift & Weight Reduction
  • 27" Kenda Executioner 6 Ply ATV tires

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:06 pm 

I drive 46 miles each way to work and back every day.

30 miles of two lane mountain road, 50 to 55
3 miles more two lane highway
2 miles of 70mph
then 10 miles of 60mph
and lastly 7 miles of 35 mph

Best 58mpg
avg unknown its random ranging from 32mpg to 44
worst 32mpg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:13 pm 

new best tank:
52 mpg
http://www.BestGasSipper.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:46 pm 

mine is a 99 that is all stock except for the air tube that is pulled off from the breather, most of the time that is with 3 people in it, 1.0 5 speed. `

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:57 pm 

ive been thinking about putting in the 10 degree timinig gear and the xfi cam or superflys econo cam, but i dont know if it would do me any good since i drive from 60 mph and higher most of the time. One of this days i am going to slow down and see if i can get in the high 40s or so. i checked the mpg last night and it is still over 40 mpg?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:54 pm 

99 1.3L 5spd.
75-80 mph interstate, 58 miles door to door. 5 miles of 55-65 mph before getting on the interstate in morning and before home at night.

Pretty consistent 39-42 mpg. In the dead last years 22 below zero MN winter it got down to 36mpg for a couple weeks there.

Car has 285,000 on it now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:27 pm 

wheelspin1 wrote:
Pretty consistent 39-42 mpg. In the dead last years 22 below zero MN winter it got down to 36mpg for a couple weeks there.

Interesting. According to http://www.denysschen.com/catalogue/density.asp for every 10 Deg. F drop in temp air density increases approx. 2%. Not factoring in winter fuel, warm-up, tire pressures, increased roll resistance, yeda, yada. Rough calculations that would be an 20% increase in air density from +78 to -22 and a loss of say 5 mpg (41-36), eh. Or maybe 1 mpg for every 4% increase.
So when the temp drops 20 Deg. F the mpg may drop 1 mpg.
Of course my tolerance to cold goes down exponentially.

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:55 pm 

96 1.0L 5 speed, the best ive got is 51 mpg. thats keeping her in 5th gear and staying between 35 mph and not over 50 mph

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:22 am 

My 1991 Firefly with a 96 or 97 engine (g10) got a great 54 or 55mpg mixed city/highway, drived smoothly.

5W30 oil Syntech.
155/85r13 wheels.
Tune up every Years.
Tube from rear of rad for the carb for the winter.
Shift at 2500rpm.

That's all.

Oh and IMPORTANT GLOSSY PAINT eheeheh!.

Dom.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:44 pm 

[quote="bestgassipper"]I see alot of mpg records for those that have done mods to improve MPG, but cant find much for mpg records on stock, unmodified swifts / metros / firelys.
So, Heres a start:
91 Metro XFi
no mods (to my knowlege)
Purchased at 87K miles

wost tank = 42 mpg
best tank = 51 mpg
average to date = 47 mpg

I have a couple years of data for my 1990 Geo Metro xFi. Had a MAP sensor die last year (December) and boy, was that a pain! Gutless wonder. Anyway, my mileage has varied quite a bit, between 42 and 60 mpg. Before the map replacement, it got an average of about 48 mpg, but now seems to be about 43. I am going to put another used map in the car and see what happens unless you guys have a better idea. MPG average since I bought the car in 2007 is now 49.2 overall.

Thanks, Jim in Oregon

1994 Chevy Z71 pickup (250k miles) (also for sale)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:07 pm 

OregonJim wrote:
I have a couple years of data for my 1990 Geo Metro xFi. Had a MAP sensor die last year (December)...Before the map replacement, it got an average of about 48 mpg, but now seems to be about 43. I am going to put another used map in the car and see what happens unless you guys have a better idea.

Last year in December I got 46.4 mpg, this year I get 46.7 with mods. Only better idea I have is that my mpg drops 5 mpg every year in November/December. Winter blend gas, higher air density, snow, snow tires all help lower mpg. Not that another MAP (or tune-up) wouldn't be a good test, just 'tis the season for poorer mileage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:39 pm 

96 Metro 1.0 5 sp, no mods for my previous records. I installed a warm air intake today.

Worst: 38 mpg
Best: 53 mpg (one continuous drive for entire tank with 1 stop, drafted behind semi's at 55 mph)

Since I've started downshifting to decelerate in the city, I haven't had a tank below 42 mpg, it makes a pretty huge difference. While doing this, I try to double-clutch while rev matching to minimize wear on the synchros.

Economy mods
Scan gauge, warm air intake

Future mods
Grill block, underbody tray, injector switch (maybe)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:06 pm 

'98 1.0L 5spd, light wheels with stock tire size and Swift GT seats.

Here in Southern California mixed city and freeway driving I manage from mid 30's up to 40 in winter and very high 30's to low 40's in summer.

On the freeway I keep up with traffic pretty much and that means about 70 - 75 most of the time. I do try to look ahead and take my foot off the gas if I'm going to have to stop soon. I also have a pretty steep hill to climb going home that I'm sure doesn't help (about 2 mi with part in 2nd gear). I also use the A/C quiet a bit in the summer which doesn't help either.

When I got the car I expected to do a bit better than what I am getting but I suspect the high speed on the freeway and the hill take their toll. Some aero mods might help but so far have only stuffed the front grill with foam for a while but I didn't see much if any difference.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:10 pm 

I got 33 mpg with my 1991 2 door, but that's with an automatic trans. Best ever was just over 45 mpg with mods, was averaging 43.5 in the summer but the last few unusually cold months (for Florida anyway) I've seen a couple tanks of 38 mpg, starting to go back up gradually now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:01 pm 

I have a 94 xfi bone stock in good shape and I got almost exactly the same mpg you get average 47-48 in summer blend 45mpg in the winter 50mpg in the winter if I never idle to warm up and never go faster than 45mph.

I have now started "removing" the ethanol from my gas by washing it with water and I am so far up to 55mpg! yeah the ethanol hurts THAT much.

last tank was 54.25 mpg this tank was 55.13 mpg I expect the next tank to beat 56 or 57mpg sice I should now have less than 1 or 2 % ethanol in the car.

Then I am going to make a trip to allentown to get some real ethanol free regular and see what I get.

I bet I beat 60mpg :-)

if your not beating 50mpg like its a cakewalk in an xfi your doing something wrong

either your running it hard (fast or loaded down)
or
it needs something fixed
or
your running E10

JUST an FYI this means on 10 gallons of E10 I can go 480 miles in the summer

if I REMOVE the ethanol myself so I have 9 gallons left and put ONLY that 9 gallons in the car (one gallon less than with E10 fill)

I can go 496 miles at 55mpg. 16 miles FURTHER with a GALLON LESS GAS. anyone see anything wrong with this picture?

even having to buy PREMIUM gas (ethanol is an octane booster so I buy 92 premium so after I wash it I end up with the needed 87 or 88 octane gas the car needs)

$2.65 a gallon versus $2.95 a gallon and ITS STILL CHEAPER with the E10 costing me 5.5 cents a mile while the WASHED 92 Premium costs me 5.38 cents a mile (YES I accounted for the gallon of ethanol I throw away every 10 gallons the $2.95 for that gallon is IN the math)

Now that I have very little ethanol I imagine it will only get me HIGHER MPG. (though I also imagine what I am doing to the gas is probably not all that good for it or my engine but this is temporary just to prove or disprove that ethanol is the cause my my MPG issues and the last 2 tanks are a very affirmative YES ethanol IS the problem)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:19 am 

The ONLY mpg figure for my bone stock 3 banger before its wt reduction AND tune up was 46 mpg. This was from the day that I bought it, filled it up, and drove it home. It shook VERY hard at stops so I thought that it was broken motor mounts, but ended up needing plugs, wires, dist cap, and rotor. After 100 lb wt reduction and driving mods it gets 50-57 mpg. This week it will loose another 40 lbs via light wt rims and tires! :D :mrgreen: :razz:

84 Horizon / 1760 lbs / was 17.9, now 23.0 mpg
96 Geo Metro / 1590 lbs / was 46.2, now 60 mpg!
95 Neon / unk mpg so far

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 pm 

How do you guys get such good mileage? Best I can squeeze out is about 40 mpg, with a current average of 37. Am I doing something wrong? My plugs and wires are good...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:55 am 

Dark Blitz wrote:
How do you guys get such good mileage? Best I can squeeze out is about 40 mpg, with a current average of 37. Am I doing something wrong? My plugs and wires are good...

I don't get the best but my philosophy has been to upgrade, when possible, to race quality but don't use it unless necessary. So I went with a SRD header, Catco Cat and glasspack. Less constipated. For fluids I upgraded to synthetic (engine/tranny) then 9mm plug wires, keep the Dist. posts and rotor clean.
Redundancy on the ground because the coil is an upgrade to a Pertronix FlamethrowerII so electric flow is really good with the 9mm wires but it has to be grounded. Really grounded with extra 7mm ground wires from the Dist/block/tranny/Alt./coil each directly to the battery/frame. I chose K&N for easier air flow over OEM paper protection. I use Seafoam to clean the engine bi-monthly at least. Use no ethanol or quality 87 octane. Advance the timing to 8 deg. BTDC.
Add 3-5 psi to the tires, make sure the brakes don't rub and replace the struts (KYB) and wheel bearings. Toe-in should be 0 deg. If you're not using the OEM recommended tires, the size might be off and your odometer is off. My only extra weight is the spare tire and tools.
I installed a Katz coolant heater and plug the car in 20-30 minutes before I leave the house. I idle less than 1 min. and it takes less time to warm up. For FE, obey the shift light, accelerate light on the pedal, no jackrabbit starts or heavy braking at stop signs, avoid idling and downtown traffic, but then it helps to not live in a city like Montreal. My 20 km coffee trips only net me 42 mpg in the Winter, 52 avg. for long trips. You've been to http://ecomodder.com, I presume.

So for moi, it's a combination of things, little things that add up. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:50 am 

Great to see some MPG numbers from other 1.0 drivers. I've been struggling with my MGP for the last couple of years. When I bought the car in 2006, I averaged about 40mpg in mostly rural, backroad driving. Sometime in 2007 if fell to about 30mpg. Over the last year or so I've slowly rebuilt the engine. See http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46380 I also moved to southern California and am driving in more stop and go traffic, which makes comparing numbers from 2006 and 2007 difficult.

I currently get about 35mpg. I only drive the car to and from work, 3 miles each way. It's a 92, 1.0, 5 speed with no mechanical mods. I still have to tune the ignition system, recheck the compression and make sure the brakes aren't dragging. The car runs really well now and I suspect that my mileage isn't going to improve much. During my 3 mile commute, even in SoCal, the engine is probably running rich most of the way into work. What the heck, I only spend about $20 a month on gas for the thing anyway; it probably doesn't make economic sense to spend hundreds of more dollars trying to raise the MGP a few points. On the other hand, Mike's economy cam and advanced gear are awfully tempting...

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:35 am 

Well, 3 miles is a 1 hour walk or max 30 minutes on a bicycle. I used to ride from Newport Beach up the Santa Ana River trial to Orange for my job at St. Josephs Health Systems. Great morning commute. Can I move back? Any drafting or repair/maint/calibration tech openings?

You might want to see if the coolant hoses on the Throttle Body are as hot as the radiator hoses, if not they are clogged and the ECM thinks the engine is cold so it runs rich. Next would be a Katz in-line coolant heater. I plug mine in for 20-30 minutes (go in change clothes, sip come coffee, post on the forum) before I leave. It takes a mile for the temp gauge to get to minimum operating temp. so you'd have some time to burn off unburnt fuel with the Cat. hot. Maybe one step hotter spark plugs? http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?aaia=1430188 NGK: BPR6ES-11 recommended, BPR5ES-11 is hotter.

Just a thought....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:02 pm 

thats about the time frame we switched to E10 and that about the drop I would expect to see from E10 on a pre 2002 vehicle.

If possible try to use non ethanol gas and you will probably rise above 40mpg again.