TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:17 am 

I want to get some sort of bendable air hose or ducting material and route the exhaust heat shield air to the intake. I went to Lowe's and they have bendable aluminum air ducting material, but nothing that would fit perfectly on my '96 G10 engine--the intake passage has a 2" diameter by my measurement. Lowe's had, 3", 4", and higher diameter ducts. If I can get 2" ducting material, I should be able to clamp one end to the air filter cover and fashion a holder to screw down to the exhaust shield.

I searched and look through some posts, but I didn't find any how-to's. Does anyone have any suggestions on materials to use or stores to look into? Plumbing pipes might be an option, but I don't want to risk plastic melting onto the exhaust heat shield.

Economy mods
Scan gauge, warm air intake

Future mods
Grill block, underbody tray, injector switch (maybe)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:54 am 

First thing, why do you want to do that...?
I don't see a point in this... :oops: :huh:

And second...
This thing can help you out...
http://www.njuskalo.hr/image-w450/ostal ... 447153.jpg

It's a pipe which connects the device (dunno English word for it :oops: ) which sucks cooking steam from above the oven to the chimney...
It's made from aluminium (although it's very thin), but I think it could vork fine for what you need it... And also, it's very flexible...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:21 pm 

in very cold temps the warm air helps car warm up quicker not a bad idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:51 pm 

Sixthy: The logic with a cold air intake (CAI) is as follows: colder air is denser. Denser air can hold more o2. By decreasing the temperature of the intake air, you can increase the maximum amount of fuel you can combust in one stroke. So CAIs can increase the total power output of your engine slightly.

By that same logic, a warm air intake (WAI) reduces the power of your engine slightly. Most of my driving is not at wide open throttle (WOT), meaning I can still drive with the same acceleration with the WAI as without. I just have to open the throttle up wider. Opening the throttle up wider reduces pumping losses for the engine, which means it operates more efficiently. In general, the smaller the power output of your engine, the more fuel efficient it'll be (as long as the total power output is still above your power needs).

I'm actually in a temperate area (So California), but I still want to improve my fuel economy. Thanks for the suggestion sixthy, that's actually a picture of the bendable aluminum air ducting that I saw at Lowes. The problem is I couldn't find one in a 2" diameter that would mate up easily to the air filter cover. I might go with the 3" version and just tape up the difference if I can't find one, but I'd prefer a good fit.

Economy mods

Future mods

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:39 am 

The real advantage is better fuel evaporation and mixing. That's why they run hot coolant through the throttle body and the newer cars actually have an electric heater under the throttle body.

Remove the flexible pipe from the end of the air cleaner snorkel and run the 3" duct tubing up the tapered snorkel until it fits, then hose clamp it. It's not that critical, doesn't have to be airtight or anything. Simply removing the tube that goes to the fender would be an improvement.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:14 am 

The hose you want is called emissions pre-heat hose. This was used on many cars built in the 70s-80s and exactly what you intend to do with them. The hose materioal is corregated metal or silver colored paper type. The cars had a shield over the header with a place for the hose to attach to...then the air filter assembly had another place for the hose to attach. On my old Horizon, and many other cars of the period there was a door that would block off the pre-heat hose inside the air filter assembly once the operating temps were up. I think that all of these cars came with carbs instead of efi.

84 Horizon / 1760 lbs / was 17.9, now 23.0 mpg
96 Geo Metro / 1590 lbs / was 46.2, now 60 mpg!
95 Neon / unk mpg so far

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:09 pm 

Aaaahh...
Now I see....

I now about CAI, but this set up was not so logical to me...
Thx... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:07 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions all. I think Woodie's idea is the easiest, so I'm going to go with that.

ATaylorRacing, I think you're right about this popping up more on carbureted setups. I haven't seen this on FI cars but there was a warm air intake solenoid on my old carbureted Civic that would route exhaust heat shield air to the carb sometimes.

Economy mods

Future mods

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:52 pm 

i am currently working on :huh: a1990 ply dance,efi,it has a aluminium flex hose running from a heat shield on exhaust manifold,to bottom of air cleaner,thermostatic/vacuum valve operates a flapper door,closes door when engine cold,slowly opens door as engine warms up,then fully open to fresh cool air.this car will be my HOOPTIE until i fix up my t-fly.ply only cost me $ 120$,very cheap to insure,motor 2x+ as big,twice as slow :cry: :cry: not even a damn 2.5 turbo :cry: 4-door grannymobile :oops: very low mileage,sat under a tree for 7+years :huh: :shock:4 inches of pine needles in cowl area =) :arrow: :idea: built in little tree pine smell :lol:

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)