TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ressurection of a 95
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:28 am 

well folks, i am getting back into metros after a 3 year absence. i have owned an 89, a 91, and a 95. the 95 crapped it's motor when a bosch platinum plug dropped it's tip. i also lost a snowmachine engine to the same fate. bosch platinums don't go in anything i own now. i tossed a motor from a 91 in the car, swapping the 95 peripherals over. the mpg was better with the 91 motor. different cam i suppose. now my friend with the 95 has worn it out. burnt valves likely. he has stated that the car owes him absolutely nothing after 3 yrs of steady commutes to the neighboring town. i can have it back for very little $. i want to get it going with mpg my chief goal. i will likely just buy an exchange motor, but have often thought about a high compression rebuild. i seldom see elevations as low as 4000'. this is Wyoming, our red desert runs from 6000'-nearly 8000', the mountain passes are 10,000' and the valley where i live averages around 5000'. extra compression would be good. i have some questions.
-i have an 89 xfi ecu (wish i still had the tranny, it went into a relatives car), will it plug into the 95 harness and is it compatible with those sensors?
-warm air intake? does it really increase mpg. i have pondered it's theories since i was in high school (19 yrs.)
-tires are 185/65r14 size. xfi tranny help much? seems the 95 overdrive was taller too, too tall.
-xfi cam and cam advance?
-exhaust mods- i live in Wyo where anything goes :mrgreen: :-P . want efficient but not obnoxious, we have enough diesel trucks running around with the straight pipe "vommitone" exhaust. i remember when loud cars and trucks had a rich rumble, what happened? a little raspiness sounds decent though, i just don't want the car to sound like a crop duster!
-egr- will you burn valves if it stays closed. i read here that a bad egr can burn valves, but figured that was if it was stuck open. will the ecu have a fit and run richer? leaner?
i am a man who lives the outdoor lifestyle, i go somewhere 5 days a week and everywhere you go in Wyoming is a good distance. a metro is 4 wheels of freedom to me. come spring i will log 600+ miles a week just with my fishing. need them MPG's baby. i thought of going down in tire size, but i actually am planning to build a 2" lift so i won't be dragging bottom on the two track roads that lead to so many destinations here. all advice is appreciated. it's good to find a site with some metro enthusiasts. :salute:

Post subject: Re: ressurection of a 95
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:00 pm 

going to smaller tires will make the car use more fuel

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:41 pm 

interesting. that size of tire and wheel was used on all three of my metros. the first two came with 12"ers. when i put the 14's on(2" taller) my mileage went down by 3 mpg. even after doing the math to compensate for the radius increase. i believe that greater rotational mass and increased drag from increased footprint are to blame. i did once make gains going to a taller tire on a ford 1/2 ton pickup. my other vehicles never gained and usually lost some mpg with a bigger tire. bummer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:47 pm 

bigger, heavier tires will make the vehicle use more fuel. The only exception will be if you use taller tires of about the same width, weight etc to drop your cruise rpm. In that case you are effectively adding gear ratio and can increase mileage. Theres a reason these cars came with 12" tires, small tires take less energy to turn.
Properly working egr should not affect valves. Its been argued to death here, but there is no true strong evidence that it makes them burn faster.
You wont be able to use your 89 ecu without a complete re-wiring underhood, as the harness, sensors, idle control, oxygen sensor etc are all different.
Cam should work, but my knowledge on that is limited. A lot of people have been very happy with advancing the cam timing with Suprfly's redrilled sprokets.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:46 pm 

thanks. the cam is a must i would think. increased compression through milling should make up for power lost with the milder grind. as to the egr, if it stays close all of the time, would that help with the valve burning? i also don't like adding "dirty air" to the intake charge. it seems to me that this would reduce combustion efficiency, the opposite of my goal.
also, how do you adjust the valves to compensate for milling and/or valve grinding? a local machinist once told me that you could not. best source of rebuild kits/ parts? i am having no luck so far with finding an exchange motor and am leaning ever closer to the rebuild option.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:05 pm 

I suppose I need to update this. I wimped out when I lucked onto a japanese exchange program motor. I thought those were long gone, but one importer had just received one when I called. I am fairly pleased after 3 months of use. Mpg has been around 48. I will state that it started at 40 mpg, but with much fussing over the ideal TPS adjustment and ignition timing, 47-49 is now common. I recently realigned the front end and hope to see a tiny improvement there too. As small as the adjustment required was, I won't be expecting much though. Later on down the road I will do an "XFI" rebuild of the motor I pulled from the car. Here are some pics of my beloved little beater.
Attachment:
SANY0846.JPG
SANY0846.JPG [ 355.84 KIB | Viewed 879 times ]
Attachment:
SANY0826 (2).JPG
SANY0826 (2).JPG [ 324.17 KIB | Viewed 876 times ]