TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:21 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:08 pm 

I have 3 cars and DEFINATELY 1 maybe 2 have to go.

A couple of days ago I drove from Albany to exit 24 (bolton landing) and back in my geo, between 50 and 60mph and it only got 45mpg. With the cool air it should be getting like 60mpg Right? I just put a new head on it, set the timing to 10 degrees, cleaned out the egr system.
you name it

It has a clean air filter and new exhaust, the only thing i can think is get it aligned, throw the economy tires on it set the timing to 8degrees.

I know there are the upgrades...plug wires, msd ignition, economy cam
but if i can get 45mpg out of the yaris with no mods, y bother dumping $ into the geo?
the yaris is a newer safer car, and i can use my MSD on either the yaris swift or geo.

94 Swift GT I bought the swift for $3k and even though ive only driven it 1000miles in the year that ive owned it im having a hard time selling it for the same price, however it is mint/ rust free and could be a reliable every day car. Being a rare car its getting me thinking twice about doing that. I dont know howmany MPG it gets. If i put $ into it i still cant sell it for any more than i paid for it.

94 geo metro The geo, I bought for $300 and keeping track of receipts, I have about $6000 into it but ive also driven it alot, ive done the math and its paid for itself so maybe just maybe I could sell it and get at least some of my money back. as of now it gets 45mpg

08 yaris The yaris is a 2008 with 45kmi, its a new car with new car safety features, and new car reliability. My friend rented one and drove to the city, he got 41mpg driving like a normal person NOT economy driving. I got it cheap and could re sell it at below blue book and make $ idk what to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:03 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Easy, drive the yaris during the week to work and drive the gt on the weekends, sell the metro...
Much rather get tee boned by some moron while driving a yaris than a metro...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:10 pm 

Opinions are always free, (And I always double your money back if not delighted :lol: :lol:)
I Best Give you a little back round so you understand where I'M coming from.
1) I am a car dealer.
2) My dealership is run as a "BUY-Here Pay-Here, So it is my job to get people to owe money.
3) I have bought and sold Hundreds of metro/Swifts/sprints
4) Toyota echos/Yaris are my current favorite recommended "Buy" to my family and friends.
With that back story I say this.
1) DO NOT sell the swift Gt/Gti. For the following reasons.
A) Its as good (or probably far better) then money in the bank, that is getting 1/2 percent interest.
B) I never had a passbook or CD certificate put a smile on my face like a swift GTI at 7000 RPM's will do. :lol:
C) You can't wash,wax, and take a Sunday Drive With a passbook or CD,(They Get really Yucky :-P :-P )
2) Do not sell the Metro.
A) The economy stinks, unless you are a member of the 1%.(I'M Not either :roll: :roll: )
B) they are cheap.
a) they cost almost nothing to license,
b) they cost almost nothing to Insure,
c) Parts are common,reasonable, and not to difficult to find
d) Nearly any HAM-fisted Backyard hatchet-man can keep one running, or fix it if it brakes.
C) It owes you nearly nothing. A Good rule of thumb that I personally use, is 10 cents a Mile. If I spend $100.00 on a battery, the Car "Owes Me" 1000 trouble free miles, All maintenance, repairs, Modifications and improvements Go into this equation. But not GAS,oil changes or insurence. (So My 91 vert that I Have $5600.00 into, now owes me 56.000 miles)
D) As Long as you Keep the Car up Condition wise, and Keep the rust at bay, You are at the Bottom of the Depreciation Trough. (Its simply Not going to get Less valuable)
E) Let Obama Get re-elected, and He continues to purposely grenade the economy with his economic policies. You will see $5.00 Per Gallon Gas, Just watch people line up with cash to pay whatever you want for your 45 MPG Beater.
3) If you Owe ANYTHING, on the Yaris sell it. GET DEBT FREE. "NOW"
A) But!!!,If the Yaris is owned free and clear, and parking space where you live is not in short supply, I'd Like to submit
a Plan "B" .
B) Keep all three, Service the Yaris within an Inch of it life. Oil change, (Trans service if an automatic) New brakes
Belts,hoses, Battery, tires, wiper Blades, Plugs, wires etc, Wash it, wax it Fill it up, And stuff it in the Garage.
C) Now Go in the house, grab a state wide map and draw a circle about 50 Miles all around your house.
a) Anytime you go anywhere inside the circle you take the Metro.
b) Any time you Go outside the circle, You take the Yaris. When You Get back home. Fill up,Wash,and wax the Yaris
and stuff it back in the garage.
c) This way nearly ALL Yaris Miles are highway ,and it will last nearly forever
d) If you are like most folks, who average 20k a year, the metro will get 65-70% of the miles, (12-14000) and almost
all of the stop and Go and wear and tear.
e) with only 5-7000 miles a year being put on it, The Yaris should Be good for 10,15 maybe 20 years, with little fuss.
f) Plus you always have a a fallback vehicle, ready to go, Which forever puts you in the wise, money saving position
of Buying another Car when you "want to" and Never because You "Have-to". (Enviable place to be, No?)
Total up the dollars, And friend, You have found the cheapest recipe for driving there is,
Best wishes;
Jonathan

1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:22 pm 

45 MP(US)G is about what you should be getting in a decent running Metro. A decent running GT will get a little less.
The price of gas has nothing to do with your president. The oil companies finally figured out that you'd pay a lot more, and are making record profits on your back. Our gas used to be double the price of yours. It's not even close to that now, and the taxes on ours have gone up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:18 pm 

Dattman wrote:
Easy, drive the yaris during the week to work and drive the gt on the weekends, sell the metro...
Much rather get tee boned by some moron while driving a yaris than a metro...

2 verry valid points! however i already have a "weekend" driver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 pm 

well heres the entire deal mr long winded ancir. I have ...
2008 Yaris (commuter) 30mpg city / 42mpg hiway
2006 Kawasaki zx6r track bike (selling)
2004 Saturn Vue Redline (sold)
2003 Toyota S runner (show truck possibly selling)
2002 Toyota Tacoma (race truck)
1999 Car Trailer (selling)
1994 Metro (commuter possibly selling)
1994 Swift GT (selling)

the bike and the swift are my "toys" so i think they would be the first to go

Last edited by SPROCKIT on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:36 am 

suprf1y wrote:
45 MP(US)G is about what you should be getting in a decent running Metro. A decent running GT will get a little less.
The price of gas has nothing to do with your president. The oil companies finally figured out that you'd pay a lot more, and are making record profits on your back. Our gas used to be double the price of yours. It's not even close to that now, and the taxes on ours have gone up.

Gas is still cheap compared to buying water !

Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:59 pm 

what's her name, why is she making you sell your "TOYS"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:30 pm 

its called real life lol
i moved and dont have nearly as much room any more, Plus the neighbor is a REAL BITCH, despite the fact that its on my property she will call the police and say there is an un registered un insured un inspected vehicle on the road and the police come with a tow truck