TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:51 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hot Fuel
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:07 am 

When I swapped out the automatic for the 5 speed, I left the automatic radiator in the car. Now I run my fuel lines to the trans cooler in the bottom of the radiator before they go up to the injector. This heats the fuel for better atomization. Hotter fuel, better mileage. I drive my 1.3L 5 spd with A/C on at 70 mph and get 45+ mpg. This next trip will tell me for sure but I think it is closer to 48 mpg.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.

Post subject: Re: Hot Fuel
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:50 am 

How'd it work out? I'd be afraid that the heat and resulting pressure increase would cause fuel metering issues and leak/fire hazards.

54 MPG

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:57 am 

I think it's not a reliable way because pressure and heat increasing will make other issues and you will see soon. Have you consulted with any mechanic or installed by yourself?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:16 pm 

any gains?
side effects?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:02 am 

My first geo was a 94 with 136k miles and a new head.
One of my geo guru friends told me they should have done the rings at the same time because the
increased pressures from the new head will screw up the rings within 5000 miles.
He was correct, but more on that later.
I cut the fuel line right in the center portion of the engine compartment and added about 7" of metal fuel line in the center of the engine compartment.
I wrapped this fuel line with copper tubing and re-routed one of the oil lines through the copper tubing,
then wrapped the whole assembly in fiberglass and then pipe insulation.
So I heated the fuel line with the oil line. The result was about 4mpg. at 75 to 80 on the highway.
I started with 52mpg. with some minor tweaking, setting the timing for max advance etc.
I also ran 13" wheels on the front with the tallest tires I could find and this helped by about 2mpg.
My best trip was an all day trip from Lummi Island Wa. to Port Angeles Wa. which was a mix
of 80mph I-5 freeway and 45 to 55 mph. country highways. I drove hard, and still averaged 57mpg. for the entire trip. However after I put about 5K on this car, the mileage dropped to mid 40's.
I believe it is do to the ring issue stated earlier in this message. I have a 96 with a 35k JDM motor and it has never done better than about 46mpg.......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:35 pm 

Just got back from a trip to Atlanta, Ga. from Dallas, Tx. It was a 1650 mile round trip.
Going out to Atlanta I got 40 mpg with A/C on at 70 mph.
Coming back with a another trans and engine in the back at 65 mph A/C on I got 45 mpg.
I really need to do a suspension drop on the car. The extra weight drops the car closer to the road. Thus
the better mileage.

97 Geo Metro LSI,1.3L-GT-DOHC-16v,4.10 5-speed,A/C,170,000,suspension lowered 1",4 wheel disk brakes,15"alloy wheels with 185/50-15 Toyo's,GT bucket seats,analog oil pressure gauge,cruise control, new paint job. 40 mpg at 65 mph.
Good, fast, cheap. You only get two.