TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:23 am 

Hey guys, I have been browsing these forums for quite some time now but this is the first post I have had to make. I purchased a 1959 Austin Healey Sprite project and swapped in a G13B. I have an issue where the car idles around 2000 rpm constantly. When I unplug the MAF the idle goes real low so I would like to try swapping MAFs to see if that is the issue. I already took it apart and cleaned it with no change. Ideally if someone is somewhat local to me, I would pay for the time/service to first try a different maf to see if that is the issue. If anyone has one for sale though, please let me know. You can email me direct at acegronski@comcast.net

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:15 pm 

G13b Maf sensors don't come easy. But you can keep bumping your post until some one reads it. Try looking in Australia ebay or U.K also.
:)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:09 pm 

You more likely have a vacuum leak causing that problem. Look on the back of the intake for the fast idle thermo valve. It has two small antifreeze hoses going straight down tucked underneath it and on large air hose that supplies clean air to it. Warm car up, remove that hose and plug both the hose and the nipple it slides onto(which is part of the valve itself). Or use pliers and squeeze that hose so air can't flow thru it and see how it affects your idle. There's also a small solenoid that controls idle up with electrical load that can stick open and cause high idle.
Often any false air/vacuum leak is accompanied by surging idle. I'm fairly sure a proper running g13b will die if the maf is unplugged. The fact that your stays running at all could be an indicator that it's getting false air.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:38 pm 

codyb76 wrote:
You more likely have a vacuum leak causing that problem. Look on the back of the intake for the fast idle thermo valve. It has two small antifreeze hoses going straight down tucked underneath it and on large air hose that supplies clean air to it. Warm car up, remove that hose and plug both the hose and the nipple it slides onto(which is part of the valve itself). Or use pliers and squeeze that hose so air can't flow thru it and see how it affects your idle. There's also a small solenoid that controls idle up with electrical load that can stick open and cause high idle.
Often any false air/vacuum leak is accompanied by surging idle. I'm fairly sure a proper running g13b will die if the maf is unplugged. The fact that your stays running at all could be an indicator that it's getting false air.

I will take those steps, thank you!

I have tested for vac leaks by spraying brake cleaner in various areas and all seems good with that. When I unplug the maf she idles really really low, almost chugs and dies.