TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: wtb intermediate shaft
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:08 am 

looking for a intermediate shaft for a manual trans. please let me know if you have one, how much $$$ and where you are located. would like to find one in Canada to avoid boarder fees. also if the have the CV as well i could use one. i want to install it on my mkII turbo3.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:28 pm 

Why ? The intermediate shaft is for the 4 cylinder engine.

Ken..............

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:26 pm 

Are you fabricating a new rear mount and shifting the engine/tranny over? Otherwise the intermediate shaft won't line up with any threaded bosses on the block. Interesting idea though.. let us know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:25 am 
Suzuki Elder

when i read this post a few days ago i was thinking that this was going to come up.

even if you shift the power unit to the right side to match axle length with the intermediate shaft, since the 3 cylinder power unit is shorter you won't be able to use a standard axle from anything else on the left side.

since the function of the intermediate shaft is to provide equal length axles to combat torque steer it's sort of pointless to use it when you will end up with a longer axle on the left side. :huh:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:30 pm 

Subject: wtb intermediate shaft

suzukitom wrote:
Are you fabricating a new rear mount and shifting the engine/tranny over? Otherwise the intermediate shaft won't line up with any threaded bosses on the block. Interesting idea though.. let us know how it turns out.

Fabricating the plate to support the engine, tranny and alternator is only the way to accept the mid-shaft... then you, redneck racing, need to use GTi (sohc is okay but weaker) brake system/etc... The diameter of CV axle is bigger than metro.

Well you are not alone... I had that idea a while ago and discussed with SuzukiTom... :lol: If you, redneck racing, accomplish it then I would like to buy your plate... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:03 pm 

To be clear, what CMA and I talked about would require swapping over the complete manual transaxle, axles and suspension setup from a donor 4 cylinder car into a 3 cylinder car.

Then, using a fabricated adapter plate bolted to existing 3 cylinder engine block mounting bosses, this adapter plate would attach the alternator bracket, transmission rear mount and serve as a new attachment point for the intermediate shaft housing. (since the 3 cylinder engine does not have bolt provisions for an intermediate shaft).

A consequence of this is that the 3 cylinder engine itself would be positioned more towards the center of the car than normal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:20 pm 

Weather is cooling (although slightly) so maybe I can throw in a few ideas.......

You seem to be doing another turbo swap.
So you've been around the block once or twice and aren't a newbie at this.

I would agree with what some have posted above.
Specifically, that the shafts have different diameters, depending.
Here's a picture to illustrate some differences:
It isn't the best picture, but there ARE different diameters of half shafts in the picture above.

But what doesn't seem to be mentioned is that there are different LENGTHS of intermediate shafts.
To illustrate, here are two Suzuki intermediate shafts from the North American market:
(Credit to Phil N Ed for the pictures)

Here are three ideas which might not have been mentioned above:

This might be the cheapest, quickest solution.
As long as the shaft is dead on straight, it can be cut to length and welded.
Those shafts don't spin as fast as the rest of the engine and transmission, so you get a little more leeway.
Again, we are talking about a machine shop and a lathe/welding combination, plus someone willing to go out on a limb with your old parts.
Yes, I've taken my driveshaft in. No, it didn't vibrate after shortening. Yes, it is a common procedure when doing engine & transmission swaps into a conventional set up, and those driveshafts are LONG!

Alternatively, the two holes which line up the intermediate bearing could be elongated if the shaft you have is ALMOST able to line up with the engine block.

Depending on your application, I suspect you could find a combination of Suzuki parts which would bolt in without too much difficulty.
However, you might not be able to source it locally.
This last suggestion is more brain work and less 'doing'.
You'd have to find something in the Suzuki parts arsenal which would line up.
So you'd not only need the dimensions of the new parts, but also the part number.
That might eliminate all the fabrication that was mentioned in previous posts, including a special mount.
If you do find a bolt in correct length intermediate shaft from another Suzuki product, post the part number and dimensions.

Fabrication can be very satisfying, and sometimes you end up with something no one else has done.
Good luck with your project. People will be more apt to help if you start a thread and update it with pictures.
Apologies if I missed that thread.

In the meantime, if you are looking for a specific diameter and length intermediate shaft, kindly post the correct measurements, or exactly what intermediate shaft you desire.
Sorry for any thread hijack; the idea is to get your project moving forward in a safe, reliable, and quick manner.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:13 am 

kudo for awesome pictures..

I am curious... what kind of mid-shaft those are? 1.3L manual and auto?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:05 pm 

thank you all for the info. i will have to do a lot of research. the only good thing is i am a parts technician so i have access to lots of different parts and books. and even more thanks to pacapo for the pictures. i will keep you posted with my results and if anyone has and extra intermediate shafts (prefer 5 speed) let me know

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"