TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:54 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:47 pm 

I saw your pulleys , rushed over to gm forum all are gone :( :(
I will have to watch the for sale section over there more.

See The MR. SUZUKI Convertible here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24728
or here >>>> http://geometroforum.com/topic/5577648/1/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 am 

Hummmmmm....I sort of know the feeling....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:39 pm 

:lol: I thought for sure he would have water-jet cut "1.3 tc'' or something like that.....we all know his attention to detail....maybe the next set? :-P
looking great!

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:40 pm 
Suzuki Elder

detail?

i have 4 titanium shoulder bolts to hold it onto the water pump. :wink:

i made a day trip to see my buddy dale at his farm in that red vert and it's a great car on the highway. 70mph/ 3600 rpm and that twincam is as happy as it can be.

i'll be sad to put it away for the winter in a month.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:07 pm 
Suzuki Elder

jardamuth has been my good friend and my mentor with suzuki and turbo stuff for nearly as long as i have been into these cars. i first met him when i bought a turbo3 top end, head, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, fuel rail and injectors, etc. from him on ebay in the fall of 2003. he invited me to teamswift.net where he and the founding membership got me up to speed on what was happening with these cars.

over the last 11 years jard has always been there for me and no question has been too stupid for him not to reply. it's a relationship that i have enjoyed and one that i will always hold dear.

i have been in search of an upper front strut brace to finish my red resto-rod vert project for more than 3 years and have come up dry at every turn. jard came to my rescue once again and built me a final set of turbine tech braces - and just in time for christmas! :wink:

the car is abed for the winter but the first thing i'll do when i get the car out in the spring is to fit the upper strut tower brace. i have about 4 months to polish it. :lol:

thanks jess. :worship:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:52 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

You're too good of a man Rich. Not sure I deserve all this praise as I was just returning a long overdue favor. :oops:

Can't wait to see it fitted and polished :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:45 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it's time to open my project thread for 2015.

it's a beautiful sunny day and i have been itching to get my summer car out of it's winter blankets.

when i went out the first time i got called in for emergency overtime. when i got back i went right to work on waking up the car.

the battery tender had the optima red top battery at full charge and the twincam roared to life like it hadn't been sitting for 7 months. i popped the hood and got right down to installing the upper front strut tower brace jardamuth sent me back in december.

i had to trim the length of the mounting studs on the adjustable strut mounts i built last summer and cut out a clearance for the windshield wiper motor's bell but that work went right along.

i opted to clean up the aluminum using a purple scotchbrite pad instead of polishing the brace. the high humidity here in ohio turns polished aluminum gray in a month or 2 anyway and the softer brushed finish from the scotchbrite pad can be restored repeatedly in under a half hour. that finish has a more industrial/ tech finish and is more like what you'd see on a race car.

i had just finished up the installation and headed back in for a break and some easter ham when the phone rang for my second emergency call out of the day. i left the mercedes sitting in the drive and motored off in the red vert. the vert is everything that the slk230 isn't. it's a seat of the pants driving experience and gives the impression of being a little monster.

you can't imagine how happy i am to be back in my little sports car! 8)

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:35 pm 

Id buy a set of braces if he was willing to sell them....... :buzz:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:27 pm 

Very jealous! Our weather is just ugly it won't warm up...I just go into my cinder block garage(not insulated or heated) and look at my torn apart mess while shivering.
I feel like I won't get my car out till June at this rate :(

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:38 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i finally had the right conditions of weather, time off, and motivation to install the aluminum water pump pulley i have had on the shelf all winter.

first i removed the oem pulley.

and replaced it with the aluminum pulley i picked up in a group buy last season. i had my machinist index the pulley's web and bore a line of holes for styling and lightening.

the weight of the oem steel pulley with 4 stainless bolts and 4 flat washers.

the weight of the custom aluminum pulley and 4 titanium shoulder bolts.

with the induction piping and maf back in place you have to look hard to see the pulley.

from a weight stand point the aluminum pulley is less than half the weight of the factory pulley. i'm not really sure how that translates into a performance gain. from an appearance stand point the custom pulley is all but hidden.

spring 2015 top down.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:14 pm 

Nice ! :D
Looks good Richard .

See The MR. SUZUKI Convertible here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24728
or here >>>> http://geometroforum.com/topic/5577648/1/

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:54 pm 
Suzuki Elder

more fancy billet aluminum, a guy over at geometroforum machined a run of 10 pairs of billet aluminum, black anodized latch blocks. here's a comparison pic of one of manutea's cast blocks with one of mooginfee's machined billet blocks.

mounted on windshield frame. you know me, stainless steel fasteners on everything.

installation completed in about 20 minutes.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:18 pm 

I have taken those latch blocks to several machinist and everyone told me that due to the compound inner curve in the "pocket" they could not be machined.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:31 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i have held my journeyman machinist card for 30 years and had decided that machining these would be too involved to even try. i have even stated this on the open forums before.

mooginfee proved us all wrong! :blackeye:

these are very nicely milled and anodized. i bolted them on with zero issues and they work perfectly. as they are billet aluminum i doubt that they will ever break like the oem plastic pieces no matter how much tension a shrunken top puts on them. :wink: they even have the proper radius on the mounting side to fit the curve of the windshield frame and snugged right into place.

and this post should not be taken to diminish the cast aluminum latch blocks that frederick has turned out for us vert owners. they are very fine pieces and i am lucky to own a set of those as well. i have 2 verts and my blue turbo3 vert has the last set of new old stock oem blocks i had on it. i plan on sending the cast set out to have them powder coated and then installing them on ol' blue. :D

once again, i feel very strongly that we, as a community, need to support these guys who turn out custom pieces for our cars. i like to use custom parts on my cars. some i build for myself and others, like these latch blocks and billet aluminum water pump pulleys, i leave to more talented guys. our cars are so much niche vehicles that we should consider ourselves fortunate for the dedicated guys that turn out any small run of neat parts for them. :worship: and we need to support them by helping them meet their production costs. 8)

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:32 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i caught a rock last season from a trailer hauling an excavator. the dumb ass didn't bother to knock the mud and gravel off the machine or trailer bed and was dropping debris all over a 4 lane inner belt highway. the bull's eye from that started to crack before i could have it patched and eventually spread from the left edge of the windshield to about half way across, right in my field of vision.

i made an appointment with safelite, they called me to cancel and reschedule because the glass they had in stock turned out to be for a metro hatchback and they didn't catch it until the evening before they were supposed to come out to install it. anyway, it took them another 6 days to ship the glass in from their central warehouse and i took the car to them even though my alternator had quit on me.

long story short, they installed the new windshield and did a great job. the glass is optically superior to the oem glass that was in the car. they confirmed that the rubber edge mouldings were unobtainium and did a great job of salvaging and re-using the original trim.

with a $40 discount for the inconvenience of rescheduling, the replacement cost me $177.

let me give safelite top marks and a high recommendation. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:33 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i have run the cs130 105 amp alternator on this red twincam vert for 2 years. a few weeks ago i decided to spray the dust out of the engine bay and didn't take any precaution to keep water out of the alternator and i think i fried it. :roll:

anyway, i had some time to play so i dove into replacing the alternator today.

i had installed the one that was in the car with the power unit assembled and i was taken aback when i tried to get it back out. the bottom bracket bolt which is about 110mm in length ran dead into the right frame rail with most of the bolt's shoulder still in the bracket. i had to get out my pneumatic cut off tool and chop the bolt out. when i replace it with the new bolt i'll insert it from the other end of the bracket so that the nut goes on between the bracket and the frame rail. there's no way the alternator would come out of the bottom without pulling the axle and intermediate shaft. i just kept pulling parts off the top - upper bracket, dip stick tube, induction pipe and maf, and the upper timing cover and eventually pulled the bolts out of the right side engine mount so i could lower the engine about 2 or 3 inches to get enough room to wiggle the alternator out between the strut tower and throttle body.

since i had the dip stick and tube off the car i took the time to spruce the tube up with a coat of hammertone silver and painted the dip stick handle red to match.

since i had pulled enough parts to get down to the intake manifold bracket and i had a clear coated bright silver powder coated bracket in my parts collection i replaced the matte black bracket i built the engine with.

i had a small issue. the auto parts store sold me the wrong replacement alternator, the top ear was clocked to the wrong position, so i had to locate the correct part which won't get to the store until 1 pm tomorrow.

with nothing more to do until tomorrow i repainted the upper alternator bracket and that special L shaped bracket that's only found on the twincam with some shiny high temp paint. then i picked up all my tools and closed up shop until i get back out there in the morning.

if anyone has a spare upper alternator bracket and this L shaped support from a twincam, i'd like to have a set to send to my powder coater. i've had nearly every other part of the car powder coated and i may as well do these parts, too.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:17 pm 

Re:
Quote:
with nothing more to do until tomorrow..

Hmm.. Maybe it's time to get out the wax and give the whole car a good spring shine. (Red paint seems to oxidize faster than other colours.) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:33 pm 
Suzuki Elder

while i appreciate the constructive criticism, i have purposely not waxed the car for at least 12 months.

i'm doing body work, molding in the flares and filling in the midline creases in the front and rear fenders, etc. after that i'll be doing some paint work and it's no fun de-waxing as all that takes place. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:06 pm 
Island Inbreeder

Is this car still for sale
Thanks for sharing here on Teamswift

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:11 pm 
Suzuki Elder

scotty, i get the gag but the truth is that this car will only be for sale after i'm dead and gone. :wink:

i have a significant chunk of my life invested in this car along with way more money than i could ever get back out of it.

i just do these things to entertain you guys. =)

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:42 am 
Island Inbreeder

t3 ragtop wrote:
scotty, i get the gag but the truth is that this car will only be for sale after i'm dead and gone. :wink:

i have a significant chunk of my life invested in this car along with way more money than i could ever get back out of it.

i just do these things to entertain you guys. Image

I fix

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:17 am 
Suzuki Elder

scotty, yer a freakin' hoot. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:32 pm 

Yes he is.

I would like a bit more information on the difference in part number between the convertible and hatch back as well as the optics you've described.
(i.e. does it have the black border and tint at the top, etc.)

And a bit of constructive criticism for the future:

If a rig causes your windshield to crack, you have the right to collect damages from that rig.
The only things they are allowed to drop legally is
-clean water
and/or
-chicken feathers
(at least here in California).

Any commercial rig is required to carry insurance and their insurance will pay for your new windshield.
That is the letter of the law and it was written in a spirit of understanding that these things happen.
By holding the driver accountable, he probably will be a bit more professional with his load in the future and you help others by tagging him on it.
But enough about that.

What's the deal with these new windshields that the company sells, and how about a picture or two of the new windshield! It sounds exciting...

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:33 am 

Pacapo, your right, but only after you file a police report. You need to get the licence plate number, call the police, keep the offender in sight until law enforcement gets vehicle stopped. Once the vehicle is stopped you need stop and file your statement, after you PROVE the rock came OFF the trailer or its cargo. After you get all that done you got to they office of the trucking company and settle with them. If are a responsible operation they will hand you cash or request a receipt upon COMPLETION of repairs. If not settle in for a fight.

As a truck driver, I know that you are also correct in the fact that the only items allowed the fall from a truck are clear water and feathers. A driver that does as T3 stated needs his ass handed too him. I have been on both side of this. Yes all commercial motor carriers are required to carry liability insurance as are ALL four wheelers too.

T3 Ragtop, sorry to jack and rant but i can't stand it when people see trucks as rolling piggy banks and yell "Get 'im". If warranted, yes. But not just because.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:04 am 
Suzuki Elder

indeed, i wouldn't try to pin something on a guy who is just trying to do his job and make a buck. i'm a live and let live sort of guy.

on the other hand, some of these jockeys they have driving beat up dump trucks hauling construction materials to landfills just don't give a flying crap if they drop half their load in front of your car on a 4 lane highway. it's like they make you chase them down and prove that they did anything wrong.

phil, the glass is just like oem glass only without the years of blasting and settling. the safelite glass has the black edges and the little dot matrix fading. you can order glass with the upper edge tinted or without tint. mine is non-tinted.

there's no stretching or optically inferior, fun house mirror stuff going on with this new glass even in the corners or along the edges. it's just a plain good piece of glass that has passed a number of inspections before being released to the warehouse and then it gets a couple more inspections before it ever makes it onto a car.

i have my hands full trying to run down the proper replacement alternator for the cs130 alternator mod right now. i have gone to all of the major parts suppliers in the city and the closest i have gotten is a special order through auto zone that will take 5 days due to the memorial day holiday.

twiddling my thumbs. :blackeye:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next