TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:51 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ? on intake...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:41 pm 

I have a dohc 1.3, it think it's somewhere between 90 and 92. I bought the head installed on a 1.6l 16 valve tracker block but the head is missing a few pieces.. the tps on the intake and one other small thing on the intake that I have no idea what it is??? It looks like some sort of vacuum deal, but can anybody tell me what it is? I have seen it on another engine and it's on the far right. (an inch or two big)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:26 am 

the sensor you mean? Its attached on the front of the intake with a vacuum line coming from the intake tube to it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:44 am 

I really couldn't say... becase it's not there... sorry... There are a couple of screws that hold it in place and it's fairly small... sorry, not much help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:15 am 

can you see it in this pic?

Image[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:44 pm 

yes... it's right in front of where it says injection and there are two blue vacuum lines going to it and an electrical connection.. sounds like what you were describing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:07 pm 

I am not sure what it is either. I think it has something to do with the air metering but not sure for sure what. If you disconnect the hose and plug it the engine still runs though.

Post subject: .....
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:01 am 

It is called a PCV valve....positive crankcase ventilation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:26 am 

Its not the PCV valve. that would be located in the back of the engine and is usually not an electrical device. I think we need to keep looking for the correct answer.

P.S. The way you know its NOT the PCV valve is that for you to posativly vent the crankcase, you would need some sort of tube actually GOING to the crankcase. That tube just recircs itself from the intake tube to the intake plenum. And does something by opening and closing a switch based on the difference in air pressure between the 2 points. I beleive that it actually spits out a frequency rather than a solid voltage. Mainly because you can hear iot chatter away when the engine is running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:10 am 
a.k.a Bum head

Stinky_1 wrote:
Mainly because you can hear iot chatter away when the engine is running.

That's 'cause it's the idle speed control (ISC) valve.

Chris

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:52 am 

is there any way of stopping this idle spped control valve chattering so loudly? do u think i need a new one?

AD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:24 am 
a.k.a Bum head

As long as it's doing it's job and actually working, then I wouldn't worry about it, unless the noise bothers you. Perhaps it's constantly trying to compensate for a low idle, and you ought to try increasing the idle speed manually by the screw on the throttle body.

On a separate note, I don't think that the ISC has worked on either of my cars that I've had. Life continued on as normal. 8)

Chris

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:03 pm 

thanks for the help everybody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:59 am 

cool ill ignore it then it dont bother me and it aint tapping as load as my injectors or sumthing in that region anyway.

AD

Post subject: .....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:57 pm 

Oops, missed the post about the two blue lines...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:41 am 

so will the 1.6 head fit the 1.3 block? if so is this swap worth it? This is the first i have heard of this.

ccRacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:42 pm 
smart@ss

ccRacer wrote:
so will the 1.6 head fit the 1.3 block? if so is this swap worth it? This is the first i have heard of this.

ccRacer

I'm guessing since 1.3 dohc head fits on mates to 1.6 block, it should work the other way around. Is it worth it? I doubt it, 1.3 dohc head is considered an upgrade over 1.6 cylinder head.

http://sierraclub.com/exxposeexxon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:53 am 

here in aus it's a popular option (if you have the money)

So im just gonna quote bitz from two articles

Why do it:
Quote:
A larger 1.6-litre version of the G-series four-cylinder was also released in the later model Swift sedan and Vitara. Unlike the GTi engine, the G16A came only with a SOHC head and a simple single-point EFI system. Not surprisingly, peak output was just 74kW at 6000 rpm, but with fairly generous torque at low rpm. Australian delivered versions – as found in the top-line Swift of the early ‘90s – was rated at 4kW less.

For the ultimate Suzuki four, it is possible to attach the G13B DOHC head to the G16A block (as we've discussed at "Head Start").

So i guess if you put the DOHC on the G16a you would get a LOT of torque which would help with the sprints (but more kw/hp don't know)

Quote:
SUZUKI
Conversion:
Twin cam G13B head onto G16A block.

Benefits:
Replaces the narrow angle 16 valve SOHC design fitted with throttle-body injection for a 16 valve DOHC equipped with multi-point EFI.

Mods Required:
Firstly (in case you're thinking of another way), the 1600 engine's crank is slightly too long to fit in the 1300 twin cam block, which is why this head conversion is the only viable option for a big cube Swift.

A 16 valve 1600 bottom end is the best platform, as it already has valve recesses in each piston. Stud patterns, bolt sizes and galleries all match perfectly. The block should be then equipped with a 1.8mm Vitara head gasket (Part No 1114171C00) to lower the CR to a more manageable level. Compression ratio with this head gasket will work out to just over 10:1.

A cam belt sourced from a belt supplier (such as Gates), is also needed to compensate for the 1600's 30mm taller block. The belt must be connected to the GTi's crank pulley (Part No 12631 53B00) while a smaller diameter tensioner (Part No 12810 53B01000) may give more flexibility when choosing the belt. In addition, custom cam belt covers will need to be fabricated.

The safest and most effective method of controlling fuel and ignition is to use an aftermarket ECU suitably programmed.

Bill Monkhouse
Suzuki Auto Centre
Adelaide, Australia
Tel: +61 8 8231 7180