TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:19 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:51 pm 
The GT got the same motor and ECU that the GTI?<br><br>and the performances are the same in stock? <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:35 pm 

The option package. The GT comes a little more loaded. I think that is the only difference. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:10 pm 

Actually They are the exact same car. The Gti was only available in 89 and the dropped the "i" cause the were gonna get sued by VW!<br><br>Jake <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:32 pm 
Make love, not moderators

Well it would depend on years too.... 92+ had the power windows and some extra reinforcing so the cars were a little heavier plus a different rear swaybar in the 92+<br><br> <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:58 pm 

The AMerican and Canadian 92+ were a little heavier with reinforcing and I think the rear sway bar was 2mm thicker. Has anyone tried the stock 92+ sway bar on their 89-91 GT??<br><br>Jake <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: redline
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:34 am 

I've always wondered why on some picture you see swift gti (europeen model I think) with a 8500 RPM redline and a 200 (or 220???) km/h speedo while here it's a 6500 RPM and 180 km/h speedo....<br>And why the hell they put a 6500 RPM redline when the engine develops 100 HP @6500 RPM????<br> <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: redline
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:33 pm 

The cultus had 8500 RPM fuel cut vs. ours 7500. Don't confuse redline with fuel cut. In many cars the redline starts at the max power speed (ie. the american swift)and the fuel cut is some rpms above. In others, like my mk3 int'l spec, it is the inverse, the redline comes after the fuel cut so you never reach it unless you are chipped. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:16 pm 

I own 2 GT's one Canadian Spec and one Jap Spec.....The difference some people ask and all I can say is....The CDN one has a 8000rpm Tach and 140km/h speedo...The Jap spec 8000rpm Tach and 180km/h speedo and the top on the Intake manifold is different....performance wise before all mods were done.....exactly the same!! The CDN Spec kicks my Jap spec by many car lengths due to extensive mods.<br><br>Jake <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:09 pm 

The 89 GTi is the fastest one ever made since it was the lightest one ... This is where power to weight ratio played an important factor in quickness ..... It is not a huge difference but it is there ... <p>chadiator@hotmail.com</p><i></i>

Post subject: Hmmm
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:55 am 
I have a 97 GTI and it only weighs 790kgs, but it has the fuel injection. Other than the 93 back models which have carbs, so can u explain why the 89 gti is quicker. I havent heard of them changin the weight of gti's.. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: Hmmm
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:30 am 

Actually .. My car is fuel injected and is the lightest one ever made ,... The mk2 model was available from '89-'91. The mk3 model was sold from '92-'99. Both however have the same chasis. Mk3's had a newer dash design, bigger rear sway bar (19mm vs 15mm), different front & rear bumpers, different tailights, heavier doors, more insulation, different ecm, minor changes to engine layout, solid cams (earlier cars had the hollow lighter type), some markets got power windows and steering. Which years perform best ? <br>1989 since they were the lightest of all the years. Although the differences are minor. ...... This info comes directly from the SSGTI website ... you might want to check it out before saying that all pre 1993 Swifts were Carbed??? never heard that one before .. Hmm .,, Maybe because mine is a North American model ??<br><br><br><br> <p>chadiator@hotmail.com</p><i></i>

Post subject: Hmmm1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:31 pm 

"I have a 97 GTI and it only weighs 790kgs"<br><br>Was this thae factory weight of the 97 GTi?? What did you take out of it?<br><br>Jake <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: Hmmm1
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:00 am 

My '90 GT is (according to registration) 845kg, But when put on the scale it's actualy 625kg (with full load of fuel). Note that I've spent hours putting my GT on a racing diet. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Hmm
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:33 am 
Its just things ive found over the web, some ppl seem to have carbed gti's which is a little wierd. <br><br>On my rego it says my car weighs 790kgs and ive had it on the scale and it wieghs that exactly, with no one in it of course. <br><br>and chad u mean ur car is the quickest stock out of all gti's..?? <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: Hmm
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:56 am 

i said that my model year is apparently the quiquest model ever made ... STOCK ... thats all I said ... I've researched these cars for along time now and this is what I've read over the web and other places that you can find info on Swift Gti's and GT's ...I guess the only way I'll ever know is to go head to head with a stock GT with mine being stock ... (that will never happen since my car is no longer stock .) <p>chadiator@hotmail.com</p><i></i>

Post subject: Yo IceRacer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:07 pm 

What kind of diet ? What did you take out from the swifty... Man 200 kilos is a huge difference. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: Yo IceRacer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:18 am 

must have taken off the tranny or something !! LOL <br>j/k bro . <p>chadiator@hotmail.com</p><i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:22 am 
ecu mapping is better in the gt also stiffer swaybar in the later gt. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:01 am 

What have I taken out? Let's see now... I guess it's easier to say what's left... two seats and dash. everything else has been striped out. Doors have been lightened (only door skins left) Side windows have been removed and replaced by lexan. Modified bumper frames. and a few more little things... The worst part of it all, is that I added 125 pounds when I put in my roll cage! <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Question...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:04 pm 

My dad gave me his old '89 1.3L SOHC GL for my 16th b-day. It's been over 3 years and I always knew that I wanted to fix it up. <br><br>I just bought a '91 1.3L DOHC GT for parts. <br><br>I know that the engines swap...and someone else said that the GTi and the GT were essentially the same car...<br><br>What were the minor differences between the GT and the GTi? <br><br>I would like to completely change my car into one...<br><br>So far I have swapped the interior (seats, carpet, door panels, dash...), and the instrument cluster (to get the 180 speedo). <br><br>I will be removing the body package, the engine, the electric mirrors, the wing, the harness, and the computer. Is there anything else that I will need? <br><br>My car is also an Auto. The parts car has a 5 spd, but it is pretty fukked. <br><br>And if there are any tips, please let me know...<br><br> <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: Question...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:07 pm 

Another question from my inquiring mind...<br><br>I am just beginning to learn about Swifts, but I was wondering...<br><br>When I was browsing the web-store for parts, it says "MK 2 vehicles only"...what is an MK 2 veh? <br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:31 pm 

"I just bought a '91 1.3L DOHC GT for parts."<br><br>That is an MK2... the GTs and GTis manufactured after 1989 are MK2.... In 1992 there was a new series of MK2 (some people call this the MK3 series) with power windows, A/C, different seats and bumpers, steel wheels with covers, and other minor changes. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:41 pm 

thanks <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Another Question...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:17 pm 

I was looking up the conversion on the site http://www.ssgti.com, and I came along a little tidbit that said:<br>"If your tranny is an automatic (not recommended at all) you'll need the control module for that as well".<br><br>My tranny is auto, but the car that I am taking the engine out of is a standard...so is there going to be a problem??<br><br><br> <br> <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:22 pm 

the 89 was the only year with a power sunroof too. mine and troys are theonly ones i've ever seen with power, and his is a swap.<br>little stuff like seat patterns change year to year, and yea 92 on had power windows, which are heavier... - as stated earlier<br><br>none the less...i'm glad i have my sunroof!!<br><br>all the rest of the basics have been covered... <p>.:Daley:. <br><br>1989 Swift GTi <br>Slightly modded.<br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.geocities.com/craig_d6/carshome.html">My Site!</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://daley.20fr.com/photo.html">Pictures Page</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--></p><i></i>