TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:47 am 
Paul Jr.

Great work man, so inspiring to see the enthusiasm, not many would go to those lengths for these cars.

Kudos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:00 pm 

Finally, mi thread es got >2 pages! Thanks Jr ;).

My current downpipe was a bit low, so I decided to make a new one since everything's apart anyway. And since I'm building it, it should be a proper divorced and tapered unit.
So I had the turbine housing machined a bit:

... so that I'm able to fit a reducer (taped to another piece in the pic):

Lot more to be done on this one, need to draw a new flange for starters.

Although my current turbo header is just fine, it's on the heavy side (thick mild steel L's), it needs just a few mm to clear the oil filter, it started flaking on the outside and doesn't match the exhaust ports the way I would like it to.
So if I'm doing a new downpipe, I should do a new exhaust mani as well. I mean, how hard can it be :lol:. So I drew new flanges from my head and turbine housing outlines, and had them cut from SS:
[they've also been machined to ease the assembly]

I already had the EGT bungs I ordered from the DIYAutoTune.com welded to the old mani, so I had to have new ones made for this one:

Bucket seat side mounts made by Sabelt are great, but when fitted to Suzuki rails don't allow me to slide back far enough (I'm 6'2"). So I've had a slightly modded version made:

I'm really keen to start assembling the new exhaust mani, but I'm still not certain whether I'll go with shorter or longer runners. It will be equal length, and I'll try to keep the number and angle of bends in each branch the same.

If only there was a local ceramic coat shop :| ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:15 pm 
2" weiner

Nearest one I can think of is in UK.
Ill PM you the details when I find where I put them

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:11 am 

That would be great, thanks Steve!

[c/p-ing the thread to redline would probably do me a world of good too, will do it soon]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:11 am 

Building a halfway decent looking manifold, with equal length runners and no cheated bends, is almost mission impossible, at least for this turbine housing (RHF5 has angled intakes, each differently, and ports are not perpendicular to turbine shaft). I started with turbo mounted like this:

Then I spent almost an entire week (well, 1-2 hours a day) combining L's and I wasn't really happy with any combination I came up with, downpipe and 4th runner were always close to the radiator. Needles to say, this is currently the tidiest part of my garage :D :

In the end, I decided I was an idiot, and I rotated the turbine so the turbine intake ports sit in the center of the block:

This will allow symmetrical runners, downpipe will be 1 L shorter, and everything will clear the radiator much nicer (although I'll have to be creative with the WG actuator mounting) .

I'm seriously considering buying a welding machine (REL or MIG) to tack the joints, ducktape has its limits :D.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:42 am 

I got myself a cheap digital scale:
Despite its Chinese origins it tested pretty repeatable. (I was reluctant to get a triple-beam-balance as shipping would be costly and it's hard to judge the condition of a used unit from pics).

And following Phil N Eds excellent instructions (http://teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40445), I balanced my piston/rod combos:
[I weighted everything apart, labeled it, then did some combining in a spreadsheet calculator (piston + pin + rod), got all the combos the same weight by just assembling them, only the last one was 0.8g heavier and had to be grinded]

I wasn't really happy with my last catch can design either, so I did some research and found a great article on PCV system over at DSMtuners.com - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/366890-4g63t-pcv-system.html.

Needless to say, the author was also disgruntled by all the cans he tried and never got good results, so he did some more research on what properties a material should have to succesfully trap oil particles. Long story short, he's having great results (spotless, dry intake - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/blogs/calan/713-92-tsi-complete-rebuild-firewall-forward-part-15.html), and he can make you the prettiest functional catch can, see http://www.jcsautomation.com/catch_cans.asp.

These are mine:
[being a cheap bastard, I opted for no sight glass]

They were built and shipped amazingly fast, and I've never seen alu welds as nice as these:
Kudos Craig, and thanks!

I got the part number for this oil filter relocator from redlinegti.com. It's a stock item on SuperCarry vans (ST90). Amazingly enough, the local Suzuki dealer was able to order these items new :shock: .
This is what they look like:

Now I'm looking for a cheap oil-cooler. On a bigger side.

This was a good laugh:
Image :lol:

Avoid SS, always a good tip :D.

Last edited by chense on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:30 pm 
2" weiner

Modified this one a bit to suit the length of bolts I have, be sure to put gasket maker around the thread of the bolts, ours had a recurring leak until we traced it to the boltholes
http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/downloa ... p?id=20284 it IS facinating that a good search of spares catalogues can net you some modifier suitable parts like these, from factory stock :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:07 pm 

I'll probably rotate the entire thing 60 degrees clockwise to gain more ground clearance. Ground clearance will become a concern when I fit the oil-cooler sandwich plate. Additionally, with that mod I can also go with longer filter (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=HP-2005).

Thanks for the leak tip :thumbsup:, I'll make sure to seal it tight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:56 pm 
Suzuki Elder

thanks for the links. those dsm guys have some super tips that can be used on suzukis, too. it's nice to see the pcv system written up so clearly with regard to puke cans.

those welds are nice. one of the guys who taught me to weld 30 years ago could tig weld aluminum, spinning in material from an aluminum rod, fusing the material so smoothly that the finished weldment hardly had a ripple in it. those old guys couldn't stand a wire feed welder, relegating that type of set up to slap dash production use.

i'm spoiled by my feed wire mig machine although i can't heliarc weld with it. i have to hire out my aluminum welding and i have yet to find a local "artisan." by far, the best aluminum welding i've seen in many years came from jardamuth's shop. :wink:

i'll avoid those damnable spurious spares. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:37 am 

Long time no update, sorry :( .

The exhaust mani and downpipe are finally done, didn't turn out too bad too (still need to polish the flanges):

I made a decent turbine holder, drilled the block for the turbine oil drain, had the oil filter re-locator modified, new oil-supply line made + adapter for the in-line oil filter made, all the sensors mounted:

I was also getting annoyed by a boost leak around the throttle body shaft, so I replaced the factory seal with a proper one (had to get a new 'cap' made, zinc plated part in the last pic), also put in new bearings while I was at it (mind you: this is Nissan 55mm TB, stock needs smaller bearings and seals):

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:53 pm 

Manifold looks the goods.top work

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:13 am 

The car's on the road again for a month or so.
I've been too annoyed to take detailed pics, as I put the damn thing apart and back together too many times.

Here are the few photos I did take.

Attachment:
img_1712.jpg [225.91 KIB]
Downloaded 1274 times

Not the best picture, but the down pipe hugs the block:
Attachment:
img_1716.jpg [191.17 KIB]
Downloaded 1271 times

I've always battled with big pod filters in my turbo setup - it's a bitch to take them out for cleaning without taking the front bar/bumper off (at least the top part).

So I got the spongy type flat filter and got a bit creative with a leftover chunk of aluminium:
Attachment:
img_1717.jpg [158.28 KIB]
Downloaded 1270 times

Gradually tapered on the inside, mounts on the turbine inlet:
Attachment:
img_1718.jpg [176.34 KIB]
Downloaded 1274 times

Enters the filter and gives it a nice bell-mouth edge:
Attachment:
img_1719.jpg [209.89 KIB]
Downloaded 1275 times

And fits snugly in the space available:
Attachment:
img_1720.jpg [247.68 KIB]
Downloaded 1271 times

And most importantly, I can take it out (OK, disassembled) for cleaning without extreme measures.

Last edited by chense on Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:41 am 

Few pics of the current state, taken last weekend.

Volvo Bosch coils, Bosch MAP/IAT, FPR:
Attachment:
img_1775.jpg [204.17 KIB]
Downloaded 1244 times

Bosch idle valve finally properly mounted:
Attachment:
img_1776.jpg [217.41 KIB]
Downloaded 1234 times

Frozenboosts type 13 water IC fits really snuggly besides the cam belt cover (sorry, no pic of the front radiator or the pump), leaving just enough room for oil cans:
Attachment:
img_1778.jpg [197.59 KIB]
Downloaded 1236 times

I butchered an MK1 fuel rail in order to fit the WRX injectors which are 9mm shorter than standard units:
Attachment:
img_1779.jpg [222.13 KIB]
Downloaded 1233 times

[Hopefully I'll get a proper rail soon :wink: ]

Attachment:
img_1780.jpg [241.57 KIB]
Downloaded 1231 times

Still waiting on some bits and pieces - PCV system, turbo water supply and wiring/MS setup will all get some more cleanup/tuneup.

Although I still haven't done any real tuning and have the waste-gate actuator directly connected, compared to the old setup, there's so much more low-down torque, and the spool-up is just amazing (imagine overtaking in 4th from 2k RPM without downshifting and delay, instant power 8) ).

Whenever there's sufficient air-flow through the water IC the IATs stay no more than 15deg higher than ambient. At idle (i.e. stopping at a headlight) when most air flow goes through the idle valve I can observe the heatsoak in action, it's amazing, IATs clime like 1deg/s. Get up to some speed, they're back down.

Last edited by chense on Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:36 pm 

Can't see the photo's dude

Chris

Mini Cooper 1.6 rally car #37
1989 Suzuki Swift GTI Parted out
Road cars , 2013 Hyundai Accent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:55 am 

Rallyswift wrote:
Can't see the photo's dude

They load fine for me :huh: ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:04 am 

the last 2 posts I can't see

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:11 pm 

Tagged for interest as its a fawking awesome process so far. Aside from not being a vert :wink: its the car I wish I could afford to build... particularily the AWD.

Now that said fyi the last few post pics aren't loading for me either.

'Noisy Cricket' build thread http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46988

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:21 pm 
Suzuki Elder

tom, my bad translation points in the direction of having to be a registered member of the site you used to post your pics to actually access them. the links take me to the crosuzuki site and it appears to be asking me to sign in.

i hope you can get the photos sorted out, i really want to see them. your project sets the standard for custom work. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:34 pm 

same for me I could not log in or see the photos

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:49 pm 

Guys... register on crosuzuki forum... we have some nice projects over there...
You wouldn't understand a thing :lol: :lol: :lol: , but you can see the pictures... :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:59 pm 
Suzuki Elder

registration for an english only person is like a word puzzle! :wink:

i killed a lot of time on babelfish working on translations to see why i couldn't access the pics. i'd have to pack a lunch for the time it'd take me to get through the registration process. :lol:

i know that chense will fix the :redx:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:49 pm 

Now, now, I just wanted to see if anybody's even paying attention :-P .

Sorry about the pics, I thought I fixed them when Chris (Rallyswift) first reported the problem, but the browser cache played a trick on me :owned: . Fixed now.

And sorry about the delay, been slacking off lately :mrgreen: .

And sorry Richard, I've defaulted Crosuzuki home page to Croatian to make it more friendly for local users. I haven't realized you can't change the language until you succesfully register, which makes the registration process hard for non-native speakers, especially because I added a semi intelligent CAPTCHA plugin (asks you a question in Croatian). Will try to add an 'English' link to the forum index page.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:05 pm 
Suzuki Elder

tom, all you guys who speak more than one language just amaze me. i fumble with my native tongue. :?

the pics are great. very detailed work. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:33 am 

Tom, very cool read, you really thought about everything. Have you dyno your Engine? Like to see the Results. Do you have any Video. Love to see it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:45 am 

goog job!!! phoenix swift! good upgrades!!

BMW E82 135i M Sport Coupe N54B30
Honda Fit Wife
Suzuki [i]Cultus
<Sold>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next