TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Broke my exhuast Cam
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:34 pm 

Well I was driving home the other day when my GTi died, and it felt like it had either broke the timing belt or it jumped time. But when i found the belt in one piece and to be in time, I pulled the valve cover and found the exhaust cam to of twisted in half between cyl #1 and cyl #2. Has anybody ever heard of this on our engines? I know the cams are hollow so that really kills the stregnth level, but still. I do know that my car has had kind of a hard life as i have found out, did some lookin around on it, and it turns out that the car and engine have about 250K miles on, at one time was turboed(now its back to stock N/A), and then raced in SCCA RallyCross for a few season. Then I've been takin it out and drag racing it, actually the weekend before this happened I raced in our local import shoot-out and won second place in street import with a 13.65@ 77mph in the 1000ft. I also looked at the cam seats they're nice and smooth, no bad wearing and the part of the cam that had broke wasn't seized, so its not like it bound up and broke, and when it broke i was on a slight incline at 4000rpm's on about 1/4 trottle. But it also could be been fractured earlier and just gave it up then. Does anybody know where I can get ahold of stock exhaust cam? Is there anything i should look at that would cause this sort of failure? Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks- Joe

Certified Honda/Mazda Tech.

Post subject: Re: Broke my exhuast Cam
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:53 pm 

I know about 1989-1991 mk2 gti both cam are empty and the 1992-1994 mk3 gti are loaded.

I think that was not for fun that suzuki change the cam...

I know a person who have the same problem here in Quebec

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:44 am 

time to upgrade to cultus cams lol

i was at a rallycross once and for some reason when i shifted into 3rd gear it never went in so it revved at very high rpms and cracked my cam :(

pic is available at 48 seconds of this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2DmEue521g

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:40 am 
Teamswift Racer

grosluc wrote:
I know about 1989-1991 mk2 gti both cam are empty and the 1992-1994 mk3 gti are loaded.

I think that was not for fun that suzuki change the cam...

I know a person who have the same problem here in Quebec

I'll translate that to read that mk2 cams are generally hollow and mk3 are solid, yes there have been quite a few people who have broken mk1 and mk2 gti cams over the years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:06 pm 

Dattman wrote:
I'll translate that to read that mk2 cams are generally hollow and mk3 are solid.

That it :mrgreen: Thanks for translating Dattman.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:52 am 

When a cam break is it the exhaust cam?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:13 pm 
Make love, not moderators

No not necessarly

89 - 91 GTs came with hollow cams and the exhaust cam has been known to break between cylinders one and two

I suppose it is possible for the intake to break too but I have never heard of one... 92 - 94 GTs have solid cams and don't have this issue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:11 pm 

Wouldn't this cause an interference problem on the cylinders that the cam was not turning on like valves hitting the pistons ?

Ken.........

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:07 pm 

The DOHC IS an interference engine, but in some cases it is possible for little or no damage to occur. A lot depends on how fast the engine was revving when the cam breaks or the timing belt snaps.. If you are at a relatively low rev then usually you can get away with no damage.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:11 pm 

TheINCRide wrote:
The DOHC IS an interference engine, but in some cases it is possible for little or no damage to occur. A lot depends on how fast the engine was revving when the cam breaks or the timing belt snaps.. If you are at a relatively low rev then usually you can get away with no damage.

It looks like he was drag racing it.

I'm curious to know what kind of oil he had in the engine at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:21 pm 

Oil has nothing to do with the cam breaking.

It is strictly a design flaw and has to do with too much tension on the timing belt.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:42 pm 

I don't think it has anything to do with timing belt tension, it doesn't present any load in that direction. More likely the load on the lobes from the valve springs, but it is a design flaw, that's why they changed it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:01 pm 

suprf1y wrote:
I don't think it has anything to do with timing belt tension.

That tid bit was what was explained to me by a Suzuki tech.. but who knows for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:51 pm 

If the tension from the timing belt was the reason, and the damage mostly seems to occur on the exhaust cam, then how come the tension doesn't affect the intake cam? Or is it that the exhaust cam is the next part in series from the crank, therefore taking more load than the intake cam? Also does the exhaust side of the engine have to withstand more heat