TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:40 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My 98 Build Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:39 am 

I promise you it'll be a slow project because of funding restraints but a little goes a long way...

Its basically a bone stock 98 GTi. My daily driver...All I did was remove the muffling device from the end of the filter box....It currently has a gearbox problem that I'm trying to get rectified...Hopefully the other gearbox I'm buying will work for me.

The current problems are:-
-Car was a company vehicle so basically if it isn't a mechanical problem, it isn't going to be fixed, so as a result interior panels, dash, carpet etc aren't too good even some are missing and the seats are soaked in dust from the wood work business that owned it.
-As I stated earlier gearbox problems. They said they rebuilt it before I bought it but 3rd & 4th are going in pretty rough sometimes not at all even when the car is parked and not running. Reverse tends to don't want to go in at times. I would have to put it in neutral let out of the clutch pedal and depress it again and try to get it in reverse and sometimes it would crash or feel rough going in depends on how long you wait after depressing the clutch pedal
-Engine is loosing coolant slowly... I think its the CSV so I'm going to delete that in a bit when I get the plate made
-I wouldn't called this a problem but the air con isn't complete as I need the compressor and lines to finish it
-Don't know if this is a plus or minus but they welded a tow bar onto the chassis. It had a bar welded between the two rear bottom arm inner bolt locations and then the tow piece welded to that to form a triangulated tow hook..You would probably understand easier if you look at the pic below. I took it to the muffler man and he said he could only remove the triangle piece welded to the section that was welded between the two bottom arms so I got him to do what he could. Hopefully the piece that remains wouldn't affect anything on the vehicle or anything I'm hoping to add.
-The boot is catching water so I'm thinking the rubbers. seals etc around the body need changing.Probably other little problems but can't remember off hand and nothing really to state.

Thanks for looking
Kemar

Last edited by DeTune on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My 97 Build Thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:54 am 

I like the interior, never seen this one on GTi :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:39 am 

Well I think that's how it came from factory...No changes where made to it..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:42 am 

I have a headlight flickering problem.....I check & cleaned all the grounds that I can find, anything else?

I was thinking the relay is probably going bad....any helpp?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:42 pm 

DeTune wrote:
I promise you it'll be a slow project because of funding restraints but a little goes a long way...

Its basically a bone stock 97 GTi. My daily driver...All I did was remove the muffling device from the end of the filter box....It currently has a gearbox problem that I'm trying to get rectified...Hopefully the other gearbox I'm buying will work for me.

The current problems are:-
-Car was a company vehicle so basically if it isn't a mechanical problem, it isn't going to be fixed, so as a result interior panels, dash, carpet etc aren't too good even some are missing and the seats are soaked in dust from the wood work business that owned it.
-As I stated earlier gearbox problems. They said they rebuilt it before I bought it but 3rd & 4th are going in pretty rough sometimes not at all even when the car is parked and not running. Reverse tends to don't want to go in at times. I would have to put it in neutral let out of the clutch pedal and depress it again and try to get it in reverse and sometimes it would crash or feel rough going in depends on how long you wait after depressing the clutch pedal
-Engine is loosing coolant slowly... I think its the CSV so I'm going to delete that in a bit when I get the plate made
-I wouldn't called this a problem but the air con isn't complete as I need the compressor and lines to finish it
-Don't know if this is a plus or minus but they welded a tow bar onto the chassis. It had a bar welded between the two rear bottom arm inner bolt locations and then the tow piece welded to that to form a triangulated tow hook..You would probably understand easier if you look at the pic below. I took it to the muffler man and he said he could only remove the triangle piece welded to the section that was welded between the two bottom arms so I got him to do what he could. Hopefully the piece that remains wouldn't affect anything on the vehicle or anything I'm hoping to add.
-The boot is catching water so I'm thinking the rubbers. seals etc around the body need changing.Probably other little problems but can't remember off hand and nothing really to state.

What are my intentions if money starts flowing as I would like it would be 10psi boost on standard internals other than stronger head gasket and head studs with full management is basically it engine wise and the other little mods to keep it reliable.Complete the air con and also add power steering. I know its pretty hard to do but not impossible. Heard a guy here did it. Respray it in gloss black & lowered on some 16s as I think 15s are a bit too small and 17s are kind big for these little cars, upgraded brakes blah blah blah....The usual stuff.It isn't going to be a race vehicle being launch from stand still etc. Just something I can get into and enjoy during my commute. I have a complete wish list for the car :shock: but for now its just fueling and driving 8)

Here are all the pics I have of the car....Will try to get more when I get a camera phone or digicam.

Thanks for looking
Kemar

ohhh more pics of the samuria please!!!
and that interior is identical to my mk3 swift but rhd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:36 pm 

Enjoy buddy, from the day I bought it :D to the day I sold it :(

http://rides.webshots.com/album/561978153sgQESz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:06 pm 

Look at what I found today. I had a serious oil leak coming from between the gbox and motor, so I assumed the rear crank seal or front gbox seal was gone...I was in for a surprise...Crown wheel wanted out :shock:

When I drained the oil before the gbox removal I found these

I now have in a gbox that 4th gear isn't playing along.. Guess I'll have to drive this way until the guy is ready to part with his PG lsd gbox that is suppose to be in good working condition

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:27 pm 

If the PG equipped box is functioning properly, tear it down, and remove the PG. That thing likes to chew up trannies.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:11 am 

gamefoo21 wrote:
If the PG equipped box is functioning properly, tear it down, and remove the PG. That thing likes to chew up trannies.

Anyone second this?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:13 am 

Google 'Phantom Grip Problems' and you'll probably see why they earned the nick name 'The Phantom Menace' and why the company that made them went out of business.

The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:39 pm 

Ok. Well the guy says he needs to change a bearing in the gbox before he sells me it so I'll tell him to remove the LSD if its the PG style LSD

Thanks for the heads up guys....Really appreciate it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:06 pm 

Had a headlight flickering problem, so I dismantled the headlight switch completely to the little balls and springs to clean and lightly sand all the contacts..Here is half way through the process..Forgot to take pics of the complete switch scattered across my floor mat

More parts that need changing.....Timing belt & tensioner, camshaft seals & front crank seal(rear crank seal recently changed), disty housing seal(Here you have to buy entire disty to get the genuine internal seal :shock: ...so I'll use a seal kit to replace the interior seal) & front bottom arms...

Next up, Engine mounts, accessory belt, ALL body rubbers and seals, sway bar links and tie rods and ends, and I think that should cover all the maintainance work :huh:

Then hopefully I can start adding the fun parts :blackeye: ...Hoping to get the funds for striders front lip and intake manifold before they all go :buzz:

That's it for now....Nothing much but a little goes a long way :)

Last edited by DeTune on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:18 pm 

Gutted interior for cleaning and rest prevention tomorrow..

Last edited by DeTune on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:22 pm 

After cleaning, also sprayed some undercoating on the floor and waxoyl down in the fenders

Thank you for tuning in.

Last edited by DeTune on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:02 pm 

Good choice in gearbox lube!

It's what I use, and it works good in +30c and -30c... I have a jack that I filled with the Amsoil version of Syncromesh, and it took me 10 minutes to jack up the car at -25c... That oil got awful thick. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:18 am 

gamefoo21 wrote:
Good choice in gearbox lube!

It's what I use, and it works good in +30c and -30c... I have a jack that I filled with the Amsoil version of Syncromesh, and it took me 10 minutes to jack up the car at -25c... That oil got awful thick. :lol:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:47 pm 

Got a wee bit more parts for the swift...Not much but something none the less....As I would say again it will be a slow project...

Finally got me a parcel shelf :cheers: :buzz: So only one more piece now to complete the trunk area..Got the new to me gearbox in and it works great...First time I ever got to use all 5 gears since I have this car without any of them crashing or popping out.

Also got me some B&G 40mm lowering springs and koni adjustables for the front. Will be installing them tomorrow if the weather allows :D

That's it for now

Now getting used to the car and I must say, there little things are fun to drive :o

Last edited by DeTune on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:37 pm 

nice gt, steering wheel seems to be on the wrong side =)

btw: i'm so jealous you guys get to have nice rust free samurais(jimny/sierra whatever you call them down there) :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:03 pm 

Lowered

Now fenders need to be rolled....My rear right tire is rubbing alot and I'm only on 185/60R14, then a wheel alignment a day after work when the lift is free :D

Last edited by DeTune on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My 98 Build Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:13 am 

Got me some fogs

Decided to build towards a weekend fun runner instead of trying to turn it into an all inclusive fast fun and comfy daily road runner...so right now funds are mainly directed into purchasing another daily vehicle, then all the attention will go into this car...As of now I'm just trying to keep it as reliable and clean as I could and accumulate parts if they come at a deal....Will be going the turbo route and will be aiming for 250+hp at the crank...

Ordered me a book from amazon in the UK. What was in the book I mostly knew already but had some bits that had me in awe :o ...His Forced Induction book is now on order :)

Air filter needed a change so I went the open element route...Maf adapter

Local aftermarket store was out of stock on K&N filters so I got me a cheapie for couple bucks for the time being

New intake rubber pipe & filter with some homade bracing to keep the filter from flopping around because the stock rubber hose isn't strong enough alone

OEM unit out

Forsa GTi fuel rail acquired

Also got me a turbine-tech setup from a guy locally...Manifold, turbo and downpipe....Turbo is damaged but I mainly bought it for the manifold as a new decent unit is pretty costy. Turbo is/was a GT28R for those who cannot tell visually.

Dismantled the turbo to see if I will be able to order a new chra or if the housing got damaged in the mayhem and have to get me a new entire replacement turbo...So the tear down began

Last edited by DeTune on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:14 am 

Just couple poser pics

Then got me some magnecor 8.5mm plug wires
Installed.....Degreaser I used when I was washing down the engine bay ate the factory paint off the valve cover...I would know next time to keep it for suspension and underbody washing and use something more gentle in the engine bay :lol:

Last edited by DeTune on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:27 am 

Nice thread. I was building my car from 2001 to now. It is continous development and a hobby and doesn't happen over night. Continue to enjoy your SSGTi :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:47 am 

^^what he said. I have only been at mine for just over a year though...and still doing stuff.

Btw, good opportunity now to have the valve cover polished!

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:49 pm 

Where do you suppose all those fin pieces off the compressor side went to ? You might want to try and blow that intercooler out from the opposite direction and see if there's and metal in it.

Ken.....

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:58 pm 

MF89 wrote:
Nice thread. I was building my car from 2001 to now. It is continous development and a hobby and doesn't happen over night. Continue to enjoy your SSGTi :mrgreen:

Tell me about it....but I plan on sticking with her as long as I can :D

PBC137 wrote:
^^what he said. I have only been at mine for just over a year though...and still doing stuff.
Btw, good opportunity now to have the valve cover polished!

I plan on getting a spare cover and send for powdercoat or custom paint to add little spice to the engine bay :thumbsup:

91 ragtop wrote:
Where do you suppose all those fin pieces off the compressor side went to ? You might want to try and blow that intercooler out from the opposite direction and see if there's and metal in it.
Ken.....

Turbo didn't blow on my car...I just got the manifold, turbo and downpipe after it blew on the previous owner's car

Parts I have acquired so far :P

Suzukird 6lbs flywheel added to the stable :mrgreen:

Last edited by DeTune on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.