TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:09 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:43 pm 

To give a short history on this car, its been around the block a few times. Ive done some digging and found that it was once turbo'ed, and then all that pulled off and used as an SCCA car. Once they wore it out and blew up the tranny, they pulled off all the GTi body kit and I picked it up before it got scrapped. Now that was 5 years ago and I fixed all the drivablitly problems and drove it for 2 years as a daily driver until it pulled all the treads out of the block for the 3rd time, on the passanger motor mount. It has now been parked for 3 years as I've been gathering parts for its build up to be used strictly as a weekend toy, just to go out and have fun. Here's a few pics to get the ball rolling...

Back when it was a DD 3+ years ago

The engine from 3+ years ago

How it sits now waiting for the new engine

Only thing that was done while it sat, is it aquired some '82 280zx turbo wheels...

Certified Honda/Mazda Tech.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:02 pm 

Now onto the engine build... It all got started when i bought 3tech built head from pinkfloyd(3thech's nephew) it has the 210/340 cams, with some port and polish work, and angle shaved the head the most that could be removed without getting into the valves. Here's a short run down on the engine:
-Shaved head w/ port and polish work
-210/340 cams
-good used block, decked .010
-0.8mm thick solid copper head gasket(srd)
-75mm g13bb pistons
-lightened and balanced crankshaft

I know there's more but I have to get back to work. I didn't originally intended on doing a build thread on it, so i didn't take any pictures while the engine was being built, just after it was assembled.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 am 

I did a little homework and found that a Honda D16 fuel rail is a cheap alternative to the $130 piece from SRD, it just requires alittle modification to be perfect. Since I'm a full time technician at a Honda stealership, I was able to get my hands on one for comparison before I bought one. Everything lines up perfectly, the injectors and even the bolt holes do, but it doesn't allow it to sit low enough. There's two ways to go about it, one is to do what I which is the quick easy way and cut out the section around each bolt hole and use a hold down. The other way is to machine about 1.5mm from the bottom of the fuel rail where it bolts down to allow it to sit down further, this way is probably better but requires tools I don't have and more time. Both work the same in the end though. Here are some pics!

You'll want to bevel the edge like this by each injector so the plug as a little more room

It only took about 30 minutes to modify the fuel rail to work, with a small cut-off wheel and a die grinder with an aluminum de-burr bit, and I was able to pickup the fuel rail for $18 shipped off of flea bay, well work the money.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 pm 

That's a really good alternative you found there, I'm adding that to my to-do list :) Thanks for sharing. Even the old mk1 fuel-rails will cost more than that. Btw why are you using G13BB pistons? Didn't that lower the compression... like for boost 8) ?
keep the updates coming man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:18 pm 

The g13bb pistons were a good alternative to g13b pistons, being that its hard to find oversized at a decent price. The compression ratio on the g13bb engines is 9.5:1 as opposed to our 10:1, which I needed to offset the 0.010 I had to remove on my block, cause I was already looking at 13:1+ compression ratio, with as much that was removed from the head and the 0.8mm headgasket.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:11 pm 

NWA GTi wrote:
The g13bb pistons were a good alternative to g13b pistons, being that its hard to find oversized at a decent price. The compression ratio on the g13bb engines is 9.5:1 as opposed to our 10:1, which I needed to offset the 0.010 I had to remove on my block, cause I was already looking at 13:1+ compression ratio, with as much that was removed from the head and the 0.8mm headgasket.

:oops: my bad I didn't read correctly... thought you had taken that off the head, hence

suprf1y wrote:
With Cultus pistons and .5 mm shaved from the head, you should get 12-1. That's what I did with mine. It makes a difference. I need 94 octane with mine, which I am sure is different than your 98 octane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:03 pm 

Yeah I have so much removed off the head and block, that I had to slightly modify my timing belt tensioner to get a little more travel out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:35 pm 

I know im a little late, but I am wanting to get the same d16 fuel rail you got. can you get me a link to the one you bought. I cant find one online like yours. I find a bunch of different styles, but I don't know shit about Hondas so I could be buying the wrong one and not knowing it. any help is greatly appreciated.

1993 Geo Metro LSi
1994 Toyota Pickup

My Car Club Website. Check out Videos of my Swift and all the other Cars in my Club.
http://www.youtube.com/simplexcreationz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:30 pm 

bigdog6933 wrote:
I know im a little late, but I am wanting to get the same d16 fuel rail you got. can you get me a link to the one you bought. I cant find one online like yours. I find a bunch of different styles, but I don't know shit about Hondas so I could be buying the wrong one and not knowing it. any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-2000-HONDA ... 74&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2000-HONDA ... 52&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-2000-Honda ... a5&vxp=mtr
It's really easy to adapt...

Attachments:
IMG-20130911-00287.jpg
IMG-20130911-00287.jpg [ 696.78 KIB | Viewed 1716 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:49 pm 

Ty very much elbola. Your a life saver. I don't know squat about Hondas so I was having trouble finding the rail. Now I'll buy it and get an adjustable fpr.

1993 Geo Metro LSi
1994 Toyota Pickup

My Car Club Website. Check out Videos of my Swift and all the other Cars in my Club.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:45 pm 

bigdog6933 wrote:
Ty very much elbola. Your a life saver. I don't know squat about Hondas so I was having trouble finding the rail. Now I'll buy it and get an adjustable fpr.

No problem man. Btw make sure you get a brand name FPR, cuz the cheap ones on Ebay don't hold pressure properly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:49 pm 

T3Ragtop highly recommends the ones from Blox Racing so that's the one im going with.

1993 Geo Metro LSi
1994 Toyota Pickup