TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: White 92 Suzuki Swift GT
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:51 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i hardly slept a wink last night as i was so excited to pick up my new to me 92 gt. my friends dale and bonnie gave me this old car because they knew that i would love it. thanks kids!

it's about 95% original and complete, well worn but pretty solid and a good runner. the clock shows 115,xxx miles.

the first order of business will be to put a new clutch in it. currently, there's zero free play and the pedal engages all most at the top of it's travel with a range of maybe a 1/4". the engine ran great on the hour and 15 minute drive back to my house. also, the interior is really very clean and complete.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:25 pm 

Very nice Richard :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:41 pm 
Suzuki Elder

needs some wheels, amer. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:17 pm 

gotta wait till august =)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:41 am 

Still waiting to see you dig out a ramp at the back of your house into the basement so you can winter your babies down there and work on them.....

I am sure there is still space down there somewhere.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:22 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i gave wagon a call this morning to enlist his services to get the clutch replaced in my new hooptie. i got my front yard mowed before he rolled into the driveway in his mk3 5 door.

the car went up in the air.

parts started flying off like mad. i ran the wire wheel on rusty bits and hit them with eastwood rust encapsulator.

i used a new flywheel i had bought some time ago and a new stage 1 clutch kit.

we got everything buttoned back up and all the fluids in. wagon hit the key......and nothing! the flywheel wasn't fitted up right and bound up in the transmission bell. the merchant i got the flywheel from sent me some bogus crap that didn't fit! $100 down the tubes, i hate it when that happens!

we hauled everything back down, which was easier the second time because we did have to fight with stuck and broken bolts. we used the oem flywheel after i cleaned it up a little bit. it got dark while we were working but got everything done, tested, and the engine heat cycled and burped before packing it in. the car runs great and has a new clutch.

day 2 of having the car in the driveway and the major repair is done. the rest of the stuff will be fairly minor.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:40 pm 

Looks nice! I think that once you do a clutch on these things they get easier and easier. With help from the neighbor, we had my sisters 94 Swift done in 3 hours.

pacapo wrote:
You get an old one, clean it up, put it back to specs and take care of it, and she'll last for years.

JVS wrote:
We (the Suzuki enthusiast) are Dinosaurs.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: Red "My PocketRocket"
1989 Suzuki Swift GTi: White (Being resurrected)
1996 Geo Metro (Stocker)
1999 Suzuki 1.6 Esteem (Baleno) Wagon (Sleeper creeper)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:01 am 
Suzuki Elder

the things i have run into with the last couple of clutch replacements have been related to rust binding bolts into the transmission cases. i have ended up welding a piece of steel to the stubs and backing the broken bolts out with a pipe wrench or drilling the broken bolts out and re-tapping the case. that all but guarantees that the job will take longer.

you have to remember that the rust belt is really hard on old cars and i live smack dab in the rust belt. :twisted:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:57 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i got the title transferred, taxes paid, and bought tags. got the vin number to my insurance guy so everything is legit with the car.

i strapped the suzuki oem sheepskin seat covers on and took care of some easy interior adjustments. i put wiper arms and blades on, good window cranks, adjusted the hatch release and fuel door and a few other things - some love the car needed.

i'll start driving it full time in a week so i can start welding on my red vert.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:22 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i got a little more time in on the car, the 3rd day of playing cleanup and checkout. i changed the oil, filter, and spark plugs. when i removed the plug wires and cleaned them up a little bit they seemed nearly new so i put them back on. the coil and ignitor assembly was shabby looking so it came off and got paint and a2 stainless hardware.

the other end of the coil wire had a well worn distributor with recent rotor and cap. it was seeping oil pretty badly so it got one of fainya's beautiful reconditioned distributors, new rotor and cap.

sorry for the dust in the pic, we have a row of russian olives planted at the back corner of the garage and that's pollen from those trees.

the vacuum piping, clamps, and all the bolts on the intake manifold were rusty so i ran it all on the wire wheel, sprayed them with eastwood rust encapsulator with a top coat of hammered silver paint. something that i noticed that's different on this engine is that the valve cover vent line has a coolant line welded to it. it shares coolant with the vacuum idle motor on the rear of the intake manifold. that's a new one for me.

that red powder coated valve cover got a new gasket and a new home. i also used an oil cap i found in the garage.

there's still a bunch of little things that i'll touch but 3 days in and the engine bay has gone from this....

to this.....

the only mechanical issue right now is a split outer boot on the left axle so i have a reconditioned axle on the way.

i'll probably move on to the brakes next. i have a set of braided stainless hoses for the car and i'll flush and fill the system to purge the dark fluid.

so what do you guys think?

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:42 pm 

Looking good so far Richard.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3168439

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:46 pm 

Nice!

I must admit that I've a) never seen that side GT graphic before, or b) the heated vent line. :huh:

And I have a question; Do all the North American Mk.3's have that rear bar with the narrow licence plate recess? It is the same as the JDM Cultus rear bar and it is very rare to see one over here.

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:04 am 
Suzuki Elder

yep, the side graphics are different from all the others i've seen.

and yes, the north american domestic market mk3 gts all got that same rear bumper.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:20 pm 

you did it again
clean simple and effective nice job =) =) :D :D

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:51 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i ran into a problem with a stupid high idle. i drove the car to work without any issues and when i came out at the end of the day, the car wouldn't start. i held the pedal to the floor, rolled the starter and the engine caught and ran so i drove home. when i pulled into the driveway i notice that the idle was high, about 2500 rpm. i thought that i might have set the timing a little hot when i installed the rebuilt distributpr so i backed that off until the idle came down to 1000 rpm.

after the engine cooled off i tried to start it again. same symptom, the engine wouldn't light off and run without holding the pedal to the floor and then the idle jumped up to 3500 rpm.

sounds like a vacuum leak, right?

i replaced all the vacuum hoses with new red silicone. i replaced the temp controlled idle solenoid and the electrically controlled idle control solenoid - same high idle. i thought that i might have a bad oem induction hose so i pulled that off for inspection - no holes or tears. i replaced the induction set with the cai set i had prepped for the twincam engine for the red vert.

i kept that heated vent piping because it seems sort of neat but ditched the other vacuum pipe for a simpler elbow. i cut holes for a couple of grommets i found that seemed to fit perfectly. my friend dale was with me to help me with the location of the holes.

appearance-wise, the new induction set looks pretty neat and everything fits pretty well. dale and i went for a drive after installing it and the new pipe sounds pretty cool, too.

i pulled every vacuum line off the intake manifold and capped the ports, even the hose for the vacuum assist canister on the brake master, and i turned the idle air screw all the way in. the idle was still high after driving the car to get the coolant up to temp. the engine seems to run just fine. it accelerates nicely under load, no missing, no bogging, it just idles high and is hard to start.

before and after the latest mods.

if you twincam guys have any insight into my idle problem (don't forget the symptom of having to hold the gas pedal to the floor to get it to start) let me know what you think it might be.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:40 pm 

I've had problems with a high idle several times... the first one was a sticking ISC-solenoid, the second one was an out of spec throttle stop-screw. Than lately I had to clean the butterfly and shaft and spray penetrating oil, cuz the spring couldn't return the butterfly completely.
Having to floor it in order to get it to start? Had the same problem once, it was the TPS.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:59 pm 
Suzuki Elder

thanks! i was going to check the tps next.

i hope that my spare is okay. the tps is a bitch to find and they're never cheap. those will be some of the last screws i have to replace with the a2 stainless hardware. also, i wanted to take the bell crank off the throttle shaft and clean it up.

it might be easier for me to just clean, paint, and go through my spare throttle body and then just bolt on a whole new assembly. that way i can be sure that a chunk of the throttle body gasket didn't get sucked in, too.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:05 am 
Island Inbreeder

here come the glass half empty

#1 Vacume leak mine was TB to intake (if your lucky)
# 2 TB mis adjusted/tits up(maybe)
and
# 3 Keyway FUBAR( lets hope not) but if your driving it daily....
call the wagon you'll want to look at that just so you can sleep at night
.... so that doesn't bite you in the ass

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:25 pm 
Suzuki Elder

meh, glass half empty. :roll:

i'm an engineer so my thoughts on the glass half empty/ half full are that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. =)

it really doesn't matter what the problem is, i'll find it and fix it. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:22 pm 
Make love, not moderators

Just an FYI the heated breather tube started on the 92's IIRC.

A nice find Richard, and what a difference a little cleaning makes.

If you want an easy way to see if the TPS is causing the issue just unplug it. The engine will run without it (albeit not so well) but it might be an easy way to see if that is causing the hard-to-start-high-idle condition you have.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:29 pm 
Suzuki Elder

thanks! :wink:

that car found me. :lol: still, i'm just happy as a clam to have the car.

i went through a spare throttle body to clean it up. i reassembled it with 5 a2 stainless allen head screws after painting the steel bits. i did the alignment of the tps on the bench so i could get it precisely set.

there really wasn't anything wrong with the throttle body that came off the car except that everything was corroded. the tps was bad, it lost the idle switch operation. it must have been a sudden failure while i was driving the car to work the first time.

i removed the studs in the inlet face of the intake manifold and replaced them with a2 stainless studs. i also replaced the oem bolts on the bottom 2 holes so i could use a2 nuts in all 4 positions.

i got a chance to paint a few brackets and replace a few rusty bolts with shiney ones. i'd much rather touch all that stuff that hasn't been looked at for 20 years than to just run things to failure. i need this car to be able to run everyday, and reliably.

with everything back together the idle is back to normal and the car runs up the road just great. i have a load of marvel mystery oil and atf in the crankcase and i'll drive a couple hundred miles, until next weekend, and change the oil and filter. i expect that the filter will be full of crap from flushing the sludge out of the engine. the engine bay is presentable now. the new insuction piping and filter sounds really neat. the exhaust is whisper quiet and appears to have been completely replaced fairly recently. you can hear the intake howling under acceleration.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:26 pm 
Island Inbreeder

how much is A "load" of ATF..??
Not more than a few OZ I hope.
I've turn more engine than I care to admit in rattlers cause if a little bit is good little more
not as good of ATF in the oil

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:41 pm 
Suzuki Elder

3 quarts of oil, a pint of mmo and a pint of atf with an oil filter that's twice the stock size.

i drive 9 miles to work and 9 miles back. 5 days of that will be 90 miles before i change the oil.

will that turn it into a "rattler?"

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:18 pm 
Make love, not moderators

So what are your plans for the body?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:28 pm 
Suzuki Elder

before snow flies i'll weld up the rockers and driver's side floor, then use the internal frame spray to stabilize the rust. i don't plan on doing much except to make sure everything works and it runs. my hooptie doesn't need to be glamorous.

i have a used set of glass headlights for it. that's not so much an appearance thing as it is a functional thing. it's dark as the inside of a nazi storm trooper's boot here in the winter and i get called in to work at all hours of the night.

besides, i've got other turds to polish. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II