TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:07 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:49 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i got the zero turn mower running a week ago and got the first mowing in. now it has been another week and after i finished mowing the second time i spent some time on my cars.

i was finishing up the windshield wiper motor assembly for the red vert so i threw another one together using the mounting plate that metromightymouse powder coated for me in the last batch of parts.

this one has a chrome silver and clear powder on the mount and hammered silver paint on the motor bell.

it's nothing big but the pretty wiper motor replaced another chunk of rusted ugliness under the hood.

i've had a custom steering wheel sitting on the shelf for a few months so i got it out and installed it in the white gt. as cold as the plastic oem steering wheel was over the winter, it's also pretty hot after sitting in the sun all day. i've always liked a leather steering wheel over plastic.

this steering wheel has 2 hidden horn switches built in at the hand positions on either side that can be operated with your thumbs. the high polish aluminum is pretty nice.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:11 pm 

I'm hoping for an update on the control arms and left front brakes so I can comment on the left front splash shield.
:razz:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:02 pm 
Suzuki Elder

pacapo wrote:
I'm hoping for an update on the control arms and left front brakes so I can comment on the left front splash shield.
:razz:

what? can't wait to tell me that there's a fastener missing? :-P

i bought 500 of those in bulk and in black. it was replaced before i put the wheel back on.

neiner, neiner. =)

sorry for hazy pic. it was 90+ degrees and 80+ humidity when i shot that. now it's raining to beat hell.

i left the brake bleeding task with the car jacked up and ran an overtime call out. when i got back, lizzie helped me bleed the brakes. i had just gotten all the tools back in the garage when the thunderstorm blew in.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:45 am 

Still running those old control arms and calipers?
I was hoping for some kind of update on whether you finally got them swapped out.
They can be a bear, especially if you get the wrong part at first. :-P

Well, since you mentioned it, that splash guard on the driver's side is extremely rare.
Have you noticed how many of the Metro's have one?
I'd guess only a rare few.

Your Swift, however, has that little 'extra' which few people notice.
AND, they have two varieties in the '89-'94 year models: one for the automatic, and one for the standard transmission vehicles.
It is commendable that you've got one of those hard to find parts which helps keep your engine compartment a little bit cleaner.

Push fasteners?
Oh yeah.
I see now.
One fell out!
If you hadn't mentioned it, I don't think anyone would have noticed.

Ice cream?
Carry on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:11 pm 
Suzuki Elder

oh yeah, i had new control arms sitting around for the job. when i installed all the suspension parts and set the car back down, the front wheels were splayed outward by about 2". the seller sent me 95 - up control arms! :huh:

i ordered new 89 thru 94 control arms, pulled the oem rubber block bushings off the rear pin and replaced them with the whiteline polyurethane block bushings.

the splash shields do help keep road grime and grit under control and the engine bay cleaner. i tend to put those back on after i'm done fiddling around. :wink:

today i replaced the clutch cable which had gotten pretty stiff. the old one had rusted pretty well but had not yet frayed. mythstae, over at gmf, had gotten me a couple of late model cast clutch actuating levers and dropped them off at metromightymouse's for powder coating. i had him do a chrome silver lever arm for this car.

the car is much smoother and quieter with the new suspension and brakes. i had some time to play with the car today so i swapped a bunch of powder coated parts, some specially done for this car and some cast offs from my red vert, into the engine bay. i also had a set of new magnecor plug wires in the garage so i put them on.

before.

after.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:30 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the time has come to move on from this 92 gt. i replaced it with a 98 mercedes slk 230 kompressor retractable top 2 seater.

this has the black/ salsa red interior.

these supercharged cars used a 2.3 liter in-line 4 rated at 195 hp. it's an automatic 6 speed (4 selectable) with a gated slap stick shifter. on the 240 mile trip back home from where i bought the car it got 27.6 mpg running between 70 and 85 mph.

the car was originally sold in florida and made it's way back to ohio (with it's "snow bird" owner) last year so it is virtually rust free.

the white gt will go on the block, probably craigslist, within the next 2 weeks to pay down the price of the mercedes.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:48 pm 

We have been following this thread since day one.
You have put quite a bit of thought and effort into the car.
Someone is going to get a great bargain.

Congratulations on your recent purchase; although it is a bit 'Rich' (pun intended) for my blood, we hope to see a thread as it submits to your trickery.
:ez_pimp:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:33 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
the time has come to move on from this 92 gt. i replaced it with a 98 mercedes slk 230 kompressor retractable top 2 seater.

this has the black/ salsa red interior.

these supercharged cars used a 2.3 liter in-line 4 rated at 195 hp. it's an automatic 6 speed (4 selectable) with a gated slap stick shifter. on the 240 mile trip back home from where i bought the car it got 27.6 mpg running between 70 and 85 mph.

the car was originally sold in florida and made it's way back to ohio (with it's "snow bird" owner) last year so it is virtually rust free.

the white gt will go on the block, probably craigslist, within the next 2 weeks to pay down the price of the mercedes.

Nice Benz
I had a 02 c230 kompressor coupe
Great motor
Te benzes are as easy to work on as the swifts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:13 am 

congrats on the new car, hope you have lots of fun with it

and the white has been covered with lots of love and care, has usual

once again all the best for the new love :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:49 am 

Hi Ragtop,

Great build thread was a good read! Congratulations on the new ride.

I was wondering if you could help me out and let me know where you got the slim line door weathershields from?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:40 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i picked up the vent visors on ebay for around $50. they allow you to roll the windows down a bit for ventilation on a rainy day without having to deal with a wet shoulder and thigh. :wink:

i'll soon be listing twincam parts. the red powder coated valve cover and suzuki sport oil cap, the custom steering wheel as a bolt on replacement, a new bolt on cs130 alternator mod kit, new fabricated aluminum radiator, fan, and red silcone radiator hoses with 316 stainless aba hose clamps as a kit, etc.

i got new v rated front tires mounted on the slk yesterday making all 4 new on the car. it rides really nice now. it has been a really long time, like 20 years, since i had a rear wheel drive car. the 8 link rear suspension and the double wishbone front suspension is way more sophisticated than the swift gt. i'll be busy looking into all that as i work my way through inspecting the car.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:43 pm 
Island Inbreeder

nope..nope nope
you know what the benz is..?
it a distraction.!
intill the next time someone rolls into your drive way to give you another Suzuki
and we will be right here waiting. Waiting for your next suzuki varient build thread
Hey Carrot King maybe the next will be a GTi auto....Again.....jv&s

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:07 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it's nice to have friends who keep it real for me. :wink:

as a comparison, i have twice as much money in my white gt than this old beater slk 230. :-P

i also have a blue million hours in that white gt. so far i only have a few hours in the mercedes. i couldn't help myself and i spent about 3 hours today under the hood replacing dull hardware with new shiney stainless steel. =)

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:53 am 

It's funny that you bought a SLK of that vintage. I was looking at buying a Gen-1 SLK myself a few weeks ago as a possible replacement for my 92 vert.

My rationale was that the SLK represented what the Suzuki vert. could have been had Suzuki decided to develop this platform by adding a supercharger, an extra 1400 lbs. of structural reinforcements and upgraded materials, and investing a few thousand hours of chassis tuning on the autobahn. (There is a Euro spec version with a smaller motor and a manual tranny)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:50 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i'm not sure that the german car flips my switch boys.

i think that my red vert suits me better. it's quicker, more nimble, and it's actually very comfortable on the interstate.

i got caught in a rainstorm while i was doing the title transfer on the slk. i started the car and had the low fuel level light start flashing even though i had 3/4 tank of 93 octane gas. then about a mile up the road the check engine light came on and the fuel indicator quit flashing.

i had an appointment with my cousin to get the car up in the air for a good look at the suspension and an oil change. it just happened that he had a diagnostic reader from god and the special pigtail cable to fit the mercedes.

it ended up being some bullshit stored codes but the flashing and cel were indicating a 10,000 mile service interval. mike's diagnostic reader even described the magic incantation with a button and the ignition key to reset the service interval counter.

the only thing the car actually needs right now are outer tie rod boots. when the previous owner's mechanic pickle forked them apart to do the wheel bearings he tore the boots.

today i washed the car, rubbed snot into the leather seats to get rid of some dryness, and continued replacing odd hardware that caught my eye with stainless fasteners. =)

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:02 pm 

There is a lot to be valued in simplicity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:13 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i spent some time this weekend cleaning up little things, replacing ugly hardware with shiny stainless, painting the front cam cover, cleaning the interior and waxing a little. a few guys have asked for pics, here you go.

top up.

top back.

a sequence of the top going back.

interior/

engine bay.

painted front cam cover.

hard to see but this shows some of the stainless hardware to clean things up.

the car didn't have too many issues for being an older model, and no real mechanical issues, but there's always room for improvements. i'll keep whittling away at this while i drive it.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:42 pm 

Nice paint and wheels. The red/black interior is a classic Mercedes color combination.

Just a tip in case you plan to store the SLK for the winter. (based on a relative's experience). The cavity between the cam cover and throttle body is a favorite nesting spot for varmints who also like to chew on the cloth covered wiring harness to the fuel injectors.

Starting a SLK Kompressor on 2 or 3 cylinders is not fun..

Tom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6