TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:32 pm 

Very nice Richard. :D

See The MR. SUZUKI Convertible here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24728
or here >>>> http://geometroforum.com/topic/5577648/1/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:10 pm 
Suzuki Elder

and just when i thought i was done, i hit the brakes and heard metal on metal grinding in the back.

i drove directly home this evening after work, didn't even go into the house, and hauled the back brakes down. the left side outer puck had no lining left. i tossed new pads on and put it back together.

in the 30 minutes i had the car in the air it was sunny, then rained, then snowed, then pelted me with pea sized hail, and then the sun came back out. =)

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:24 pm 
Suzuki Elder

we had another pretty nice fall day today. about the time i was ready to go out and get some work in on the white gt i got a call to run an emergency call on the job. that took about an hour and a half away from the house for which they compensated me 4 hours of double time - car insurance for the month and 2 violin lessons for my daughter. :wink:

as soon as i pulled back into the driveway i jacked the rear end of the car up and started on the last section of the floor to rustproof, paint, and undercoat. that was a straight forward job that took a couple of hours. it ought to get the car through the winter without any more rust popping through.

the inner fender on the right side had a pretty good rust hole that would let the tire shoot water straight up onto my air filter and make a muddy mess of the engine bay. i needed to get something done to make it through the winter, something quick and dirty to get me through to spring when i can do something more permanent.

i had considered using a piece of a polypropylene milk just held on with hot melt glue but after i started rattling around in the garage i came up with some left over 20 gauge galvanized sheet. i cut out a section that would cover the hole in the wheel well, squeezed out a liberal bead of silicone around the hole to seal things, and hammer fit the patch holding it down tight as i went along with self tapping tech screws. it's not a bad patch job and it should be more than sufficient to get through the winter but it's not real pretty.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:44 am 

What a hole :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:16 am 

Nice welding jobs!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:24 am 
Suzuki Elder

yeah, it's winter and i don't do much in the way of car projects as i work outside. i've just been driving the car and it has been a fine machine for a winter beater. it is popping little rust spots, nothing at all major, that i'll take care of over the summer and the driver's side window regulator has bent from having the window glass frozen to the trim, another small bothersome thing that needs fixed.

i ordered parts and built a new steering wheel that i might use in this car. because this is my winter beater, the plastic oem steering wheel can be very cold. for winter driving i prefer a leather wrapped steering wheel. those don't seem to transmit the cold to my fingers as much.

i've put together quite a few of these and there are certain parts i like to use. i bought the grant 3510 column adapter for $22, a billet aluminum 2" spacer for $40, the wheel, which has hidden horn switches at the thumb positions, for $40, a center horn button and billet aluminum horn button ring for $45, and a handful of small stainless steel screws to use instead of the black oxide hardware that comes with the grant parts for around $8.

so, what you see in the pic represents about $155 but is a brand new bolt on replacement for the swift steering wheel. it also fits the metros and with some modifications will replace the awful air bag steering wheel on a vert. i used a 13.5" diameter wheel this time which is a little more comfortable for me than the 12" steering wheels i have in the red and blue verts.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:17 pm 
Suzuki Elder

since it's cold and snowing outside i don't do much in the way of project work in the winter. this morning i spent a little time assembling the new radiator parts so they will be ready to install in the white gt when spring arrives.

i pretty much have the parts list down pat as i have this same heat exchanger unit i all of my cars. it works great and looks great. the white gt will not be getting the spal pulse width modulated fan speed controller like the other cars, instead i'll run it with the stock fan relay and temp sensor on the twincam's head.

most of the slimline fans come with an installation kit that uses plastic mounting pins. i don't like the fact that the plastic degrades pretty quickly, especially from the heat of the radiator. i sourced these stainless steel mounting pins from spal several years ago and they work really well. you will find them listed as a spal part number, spu-ix-30130013 / mount - fan bracket push thru radiator. they are sold separately and you will need a quantity of 4 each.

as seen in the pic, i have installed red heat shrink tubing cut to lengths that prevent contact between the stainless pin and the aluminum fins of the radiator. that keeps the electrolytic effect of the dissimilar metals from rotting out the aluminum core. also, note the springs i use to maintain tension on the fan mounting tabs. both the shrink tubing and tensioning springs are additional parts and don't come with the spal pin kits.

the fans i select are 12" slimline or pancake types in a pull through fan orientation. this one has specs that rate it at 1730 cfm @14.5 volts. they do not require an additional shroud as their frame is cast so that shrouding is a part of the fan's housing. this fan weighs about half of the stock fan with it's steel shroud and provides a significant weight reduction over the oem system. i generally cut the stock electrical connector from an old fan assembly and use it on the new fan so that the electrical part of the installation is plug and chug. you can see the compressed tensioning spring in this pic.

the pin heads on the spal mounting pins are fitted with durable rubber cushions that help to spread the pressure over a wider surface area. still, they don't block too much air flow. this pic only shows 3 pins installed.

the fabricated aluminum radiator incorporates a mount in it's bottom tank that fits the oem radiator mount and it's rubber vibration cushion. that makes installation basically a drop in fit. i typically use a strip of high density rubber foam on the lower radiator support to keep the bottom tank from directly contacting the support. that helps to prevent any wear on the aluminum tank.

here's the top tank. it has mounting tabs that fit the stock positions on the upper radiator support. i use aluminum tubing to make spacers that keep the top tank from rubbing the radiator support. keeping the tank about 1/8th" away from the steel support prevent any wear from creating a leak. also, although the radiator comes with a new radiator cap, i tend to replace it with one of better quality.

all that's needed on this assembly is to trim the length of the mounting pins. i'll leave about 3/8th" on the ends as a safety. i can pretty much drop this into the engine bay, add some silicone radiator hoses and stainless steel aba hose clamps, and have an engine cooling capacity that's about twice what the stock system provides. the aluminum radiator has about 3 times the emissivity of a brass cored radiator. the fan moves nearly twice as much air, and the radiator holds about twice the amount of coolant as the stock radiator.

as far as pricing goes, i was in for about $80 on the radiator, $25 for the fan, $5 a set time 4 for the stainless pins sets, $45 for the 3 hose silicone set, and $4 each for 6 stainless aba hose clamps. i'll have a few bucks into the aluminum tube spacers and a2 stainless mounting bolts. in all, about $200 for a great engine cooling set up.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:54 pm 
Make love, not moderators

Where did you get the rad?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:50 pm 
Suzuki Elder

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-SUZUKI-SWF ... 1947wt_880

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:49 am 

this car is almost as new
i love to observe this project :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:48 am 
Suzuki Elder

i've been late to update this thread.

last week, 9 days ago, i had the right front brake go metal to metal on my way home from work. we had a 50 degree saturday and i tore the front brakes apart to renew the pads. i found the lower caliper guide pin stuck on the left side but got everything straightened out and the pucks replaced on both sides.

the following tuesday after a snow storm, i was rear ended by a kid in a 2009 scion 2 door coupe which broke the rear bumper fascia and pushed in the steel support. it didn't break the rear lights nor bend any visible steel panels. the kid took off, i chased him down and got his insurance info to file a claim.

today, a week later, the claims adjuster met me at home and printed off a check that will cover the damages competely as well as compensate me for my labor. it was a tricky calculation as the damage was right at the trigger point of being a total loss.

so, as soon as spring hits my area and the rains wash away the salt from the roads i'll get the red vert out of storage and put the white gt back up on stands to completely redo the brakes and make the crash repairs.

the gt still runs fine and is still doing daily driving duties. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:25 pm 

Pics or it didn't happen :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:35 am 
Suzuki Elder

i've had some very odd events pop up since the insurance claim was settled. i had ordered 2 new front fenders for the car. one arrived in a big cardboard box in great shape, the left side for some reason was shipped with only a label slapped on it, no box, and it arrived bent in half and smashed flat. it was as if it had been run over by a steam roller.

i had ordered a rear bumper fascia and when that box arrived it turned out to be a big chromed steel bumper for a suzuki equator pick up truck. it has to be returned.

since i still needed a rear bumper i did a nationwide craigslist search and found a front and rear bumper set including the upper caps. it turned out that the seller was a teamswift member. the purchase price was great but the shipping was mind boggling. $400 later, they are on the way.

last night another bit of serendipity brought me a set of the ltlsu group buy springs courtesy of a long time member and old friend. those will go on my red vert, replacing the custom cal-mini springs that are on it now. i have ordered a new set of kyb gr2 struts and red strut boots so i'll use those with the monsterous ltlsu springs to build new assemblies, mount those to the red vert, and swap the year old strut assemblies and cal-mini springs to the white gt.

then, late last night, i got a message from the guy i bought the cal-mini springs from last year. he has the only other gt in central ohio, a black 94 in beautiful condition. it developed a problem with a bad steering knuckle, worn out where the ball joint is attached. he asked if i was interested in buying the car- which i am if the price is affordable.

i've definitely had a wierd couple of days with the swift thing. the weather seems to have broken and we are getting some warmer temps going. i should be able to get the red vert out of storage on schedule, april 2, and get rolling with some long planned project work on it and the white gt.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:03 am 

I know the cost of shipping large items is unbelievable. It's cheaper for me to travel the same distance.

Do you really need another GT? I know, if it's available, grab it :shock: .

I'm hoping that the snow will have melted enough that I can see my vert by April 2nd :roll: .

At least the insurance company treated you fairly for the damage. That's always good. I still don't see any pics though, so I'm beginning to think it didn't happen :lol: .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:56 am 
Suzuki Elder

ralph,

pics would be unimpressive as i have kicked the bumper back and all that's visible is a gap where the lower bumper fascia meets the upper cap. the upper cap is dislodged from the rear quarter on the left side. there is a 1" crack in the bumer fascia on the left corner and the exhaust now raps against the frame in a couple places. i'm still driving the car.

i recently sent a package to b.c. that cost a pretty penny. oh! wait, it went to you! :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:25 am 

Hillbilly bodywork! :shock:

Okay, okay. I'll back off on the pics. I can't wait for that package :worship: :bling: . It goes toward my vert. Man that build's gonna cost me more than I'll ever get back from it, if I ever sell it. Your package is close to being complete and near shippable. I still haven't found the GT shifter though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:22 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i've been remiss in updating this thread. i drove in to work one morning about 2 weeks ago and the exhaust broke. the smack in the ass apparently knocked the rust out of the rear pipe and it finally gave up.

i took off from work an hour early and headed to my local exhaust guy who did a cat back with a new resonator and re-used my vintage ansa twin spout tip. i was standing right there when he fired the car up to back it off the rack and it was rattling to beat hell. we both though that it was a loose heat shield. i took it back home with no problems. it ran fine and the exhaust work was great.

they called me for overtime work and i drove my regular route to work. after i finished the job i fired the car back up and headed home. i pulled off a 4 lane inner belt and rolled to a stop at a traffic light. the engine was idling and just died with a little clatter. i pushed the car though the intersection and off onto the berm, gave lizzy a call to come to get me, broke out my tow strap, and had things ready to roll when she pulled in front of me. i hooked up to her aveo and she towed me back to the driveway.

i called off work the next day, got the vert out of winter storage so i'd have something to drive, and popped the top cover off the timing business. the freakin' tension idler was GONE!

i ordered a timing belt, idler, and water pump from ebay for $60. that took a week to arrive. this past sunday we had decent weather and i got the water pump swapped and everything pretty much in order but ran into a problem with the little stamped steel adjustment arm for the tensioner. the little tab that fits into the hole on the back of the idler had gotten sheared off. i couldn't find one in my garage (which isn't quite open as of yet) but a local metro guy had one on a spare g10 engine and i finished off the light of the day by driving the red vert across town and into the country to pick that piece up.

this evening i had some light left after i ran an emergency overtime job and i was able to get the twincam back together enough to start it. i only ran the engine at a high idle for a minute or 2 but it very much appears that i avoided any valve damage - no missing or clatter from the engine. i'll be really sure after i get to drive the car and put a load on the engine.

it looks like the worst of the damage was that i lost the lower timing cover. i also found a buggered up o-ring on the dipstick tube and replaced that while i was in there. tomorrow i will top off and burp the coolant, change the oil, and bolt the upper timing belt cover back on. that should return white lightning to service so i can get back on track with my spring project work. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:54 pm 

The price of the rad you bought is amazing. I just bought one...as well as the fan mount kit you suggested.
Thanks for sharing.

-Rog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:40 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i really like the spal stainless mounting pins. i use some heat shrink tubing to cover the sections of the pins that might contact the aluminum fins. i figure that the plastic sleeve might alleviate any galvanic action and maybe soften any mechanical abrasion.

geez! this car fought me for every ounce trying to get the cooling system to fill and burp. i thought that i had it filled when i took it for test drive. in less than a quarter mile the temp gauge was spiking. i had to leave the car cooling for a couple of hours to get the cap off without a geyser. when i did get it open i got about another half gallon of 50/50 mix into the radiator.

i guess that i'll check the timing belt and timing marks again just to be sure because a timing error can also cause rapid overheating.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:27 pm 

Glad to hear you have it running again! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:22 am 
Suzuki Elder

it was like pulling teeth to get that damned twincam to take coolant. i thought that i had the system full, took the car around the block, and the temp gauge spiked. after the engine cooled down it took another half gallon.

improper timing can make an engine overheat so today i plan on removing some parts to let me get back to the timing belt to check the marks again, especially the crank. if i have things off a tooth down there it might have things advanced too much.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:05 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i got back to this white gt after it ran hot on it's test drive. it took another half gallon of coolant so i guess that it wasn't filled all the way for the test spin.

i pulled it down enough to check the timing belt and pulley timing marks and they were dead on. i took another spin around the block and everything seemed okay so i bolted the top part of the timing belt cover back on.

the engine bay isn't any the worse for wear after a near record snowfall winter. there's muddy water spots from driving on wet roads but overall, the car was an excellent winter driver.

just in time, too. they're calling for rain the first 3 days of the new work week. i can drive the gt and keep the red vert dry. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:11 am 

Hi Mate,

Did you remove the tensioner spring after you tightened up the tensioner? I see in your photo it appears to be still present.

I keep mine in my ash tray due to the tendency of the little bastards to snap off and fall down between the lower timing pulley and the belt (usually with fatal results). Please don't ask me how I know... :evil:

Cheers,

Drew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:33 am 
Suzuki Elder

i did leave the spring on. if i can reach it without too much trouble i'll remove it just because you suggested it. :wink:

the car is running great except for some surging at idle while the operating temp is low. i've been making little tweaks to the tps and idle to tune things in.

last night when a gal dropped my wife off after the monthly card party she backed into the front left side of my gt and left paint on the fender's wheel arch. my poor old car has been taking shots right and left from non-driving idiots - and this was in my own damned driveway!

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:19 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
i did leave the spring on. if i can reach it without too much trouble i'll remove it just because you suggested it. :wink:

the car is running great except for some surging at idle while the operating temp is low. i've been making little tweaks to the tps and idle to tune things in.

last night when a gal dropped my wife off after the monthly card party she backed into the front left side of my gt and left paint on the fender's wheel arch. my poor old car has been taking shots right and left from non-driving idiots - and this was in my own damned driveway!

Dang that really sucks. :( You just can't catch a break with this car can you?

Boxed Rear Control Arms
Super Pro Poly Bushings
Genie Header
Nissan Intake Manifold
2 1/4" Exhaust
Turbine Tech Underbody Brace
Honda CRX Front Brake Calipers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next