TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Honda p29 76mm pistons
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:38 am 

Hello I'm looking into getting some 76mm pistons but don't like the prices of them and I read on here about using honda p29 pistons and there cheap, I'm looking at these http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 6319640175
I understand the conrod is to wide for these pistons so will I be better off getting the conrods modified to fit the pistons or getting the pistons modified to fit the conrods?
And I'm sure il have to get the tops of the pistons skimmed a little as the compression will be extremely high, I'm wanting about 12-0-1

Any suggestions will be very helpful and appreciated thank you

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:32 pm 

Those pistons you have listed will work well as they have pin retainers so all you will need to do is narrow the little end of the rod 1.0mm each side to fit.

You will also need to mill down the dome to target your 12.0:1 CR. As delivered the honda P29 has a 7.2cc dome, this will need to be reduced to about 2cc for 12.3:1 CR, 1cc for 12.0:1 and 0cc for 11.7:CR. This assumes a tight 0.5mm squish (piston to head) and a 29cc chamber volume.

Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:33 am 

Thank you for the helpful information are you using the same pistons?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:44 am 

Yes, same pistons. My cylinder head measured 29cc with a light 5 thou clean-up, I unshrouded the valves with a larger cutter though. I'm aiming for 12.3:1 CR with a 2cc dome.
The GTI (GT) rods will measure 22mm across the little end width as standard, the Honda pistons will measure 21mm so no go. By milling 1mm off each side of the rod you will end up with 0.5mm (20 thou) clearance each side. If your bores are well centred over your centre main bearing and its thrusts then this should be plenty of clearance, be sure to check during the mock-up. The NPR ring set that comes with the pistons are really nice too.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:57 am 

Thanks for the information it's made it more clear now, il buy these pistons then :) have you got any over engine mods along with the pistons? How much bhp you got at the wheels? Thanks :)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:30 pm 

When fitting Honda pistons does the arrow have to face the other way as the distributor is on the other side or is this bull shit I've heard

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:09 pm 

Yes, the arrows must point to the distributor, gear box and flywheel, this will place the larger 'eyebrows' toward the intake manifold for valve clearance.