TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:27 pm 

So I replaced the waterpump and oil pan gasket over the weekend and now the timing belt is a couple of mm off the pulleys. I've checked that everything is in place, however I did notice that the lower timing cover is not as close to the block as it used to be, due to the new oil pan gasket (I didn't have a gasket before, only silicone).
But I don't think the cover is supposed to hold the timing belt is place... maybe my car is missing a part somewhere that's supposed to hold the belt on the pulleys?

Attachments:
IMG-20140513-00150.jpg
IMG-20140513-00150.jpg [ 517.82 KIB | Viewed 1335 times ]
IMG-20140513-00151.jpg
IMG-20140513-00151.jpg [ 674.24 KIB | Viewed 1335 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:45 pm 

Nevermind... I just found out that the timing-belt can only be installed in one direction, so mine is probably backwards. So I'll flip it tomorrow and see if the problem goes away...

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:03 pm 
Make love, not moderators

2 things:

1. The crank pulley is what keeps it from walking off, so make sure it is on before running the engine
2. If you have too much tension on the belt, this can cause the belt to walk off the ends of the pulleys.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:08 pm 

The serpentine belt pulley sits against the lower timing gear and holds the belt in place on the outside and on the inside either the timing gear has a stop built into the back of it or there is a spacer that keeps the belt from contacting the oil pump. If it has a spacer and its missing it could be bouncing between the oil pump and the serpentine belt pulley causing it to misalign at the top.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:50 pm 

TheINCRide wrote:
2 things:

1. The crank pulley is what keeps it from walking off, so make sure it is on before running the engine
2. If you have too much tension on the belt, this can cause the belt to walk off the ends of the pulleys.

I actually have been driving the car since Saturday... I only noticed this today. How could there be too much tension on the belt? I mean I used the tensioner-spring just like always...

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:54 pm 

1987TurboSprint wrote:
The serpentine belt pulley sits against the lower timing gear and holds the belt in place on the outside and on the inside either the timing gear has a stop built into the back of it or there is a spacer that keeps the belt from contacting the oil pump. If it has a spacer and its missing it could be bouncing between the oil pump and the serpentine belt pulley causing it to misalign at the top.

There is indeed something like a plate between the timing gear and the oilpump, but it's still there. The belt is moving towards the outside, but the serpentine belt pulley is also properly installed so I can't see why the belt is moving towards that side.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:12 pm 

Mine has always stuck out about a mil or two, regardless of the belt or on which g13b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:34 pm 

crnolic wrote:
Mine has always stuck out about a mil or two, regardless of the belt or on which g13b

:goodpost:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:18 pm 

So I found out what was going on. The bolt that holds the tensioner "pulley" was not properly tightened, which is why the belt wasn't parallel to the engine. I flipped the belt as well just to be sure and it's right in the middle of the camshaft-pulleys now... right where it always is.
Thank you all for the comments :wink:.

PS: Wow I can't believe this was my # 1001 post!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:03 am 

I had this problem and traced it to a faulty tensioner.
The problem was that the shim used between the w pump and the tensioner deformed and so it wasn'r parallel to the block, it was at a light angle and that made the belt stay at 1mm from the cam gears..
I suggest you take a look at that because it's gonna rub against the crank gear until it eats into it.
The solution is to put a new shim on the tensioner and thighten it properly not like I did (hulk style)