TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new to me (?) 89 gti
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:21 am 

will start my own gti thread on this car.
Attachment:
IMG_1189 (2).JPG
IMG_1189 (2).JPG [ 51.74 KIB | Viewed 6889 times ]

1989 gti, 192,xxx k on the clock. fairly clean, MINT interior, not all hacked up. bought it from a fellow teamswift member. due to his situation, he was unable to take the car with him,and did not want to put anymore time or money into it. he gave me a excellent deal on it, it needing engine work.
I brought it home, and started my own process of elimination on why it wasn't running properly.it looks like he spent some time and money trying to figure it out, but his mechanic came to the conclusion that it was a stuck valve or lifter on cyl 3, and that it would need head work to get it running properly.
so I did the usual, check compression first....good even numbers across all 4....185,185,190,185......plugs ok, good spark, good fuel pressure, clean air filter. the p.o. installed new fuel injectors, dizzy and plugs/wires. pulled the injectors, back-probed wiring harness, it was good. purchased some used parts from a fellow teamswifter, waited anxiously for them to arrive.
the parts arrived just before the long weekend (perfect!) so I was set at trying to find the problem. decided to try the used fuel rail and injectors I received in the mail. filled them with throttle body cleaner and installed them on car. took a bit of cranking to get her going, but she started to fire, one cylinder at a time.......then.......it was running on all 4, no stumble/ dead cylinder! now onto other minor issues........

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

Last edited by blueturbofly on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: new to me (?) 89 gti
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:21 pm 

a few minor issues.........
tps needs adjustment or replacement .........it might be no good, can't seem to get it ''just right'' :x
had issues going to work the one morning. half way there the car started to buck.....only when I flicked the highbeams on and off.....got close to work, and the only way it would stay running was if I turned the lights off.....got to the shop, shut it off and it would not restart......only 10 volts on the battery tester. :huh: charged the battery, (held @ 950 amp, gotta love optima red tops) car was charging at 14.67 volts. I tightened the alt belt, (missing a alt bracket) now all seems well now....
drove fine the next day. but the day after that (Thursday) it started acting up again. :huh: lost power on the way to work, like as if the throttle cable broke......it would idle fine, but not rev up..... :huh: turned off the headlights, that made no difference....then it would rev up, I could slam it thru 1st, 2nd ,3rd, but as soon as I hit 4th it would almost die.....
I got to work, and I decided to check the fuel filter....it looked new, but the car had been sitting for awhile.....I pulled the lower hose from the filter, and the gas was a rusty brown color :evil: and there was a weird nose inside the tank when you would bang on the bottom :huh: like two pieces of tin flapping against eachother......and at the same time the pump output would increase, from a trickle to full flow.
dammit, it needs a pump, and possibly a tank. :(
dropped the tank, and yes its no good. rusted out, baffle broken loose around the pump sock.
Attachment:
IMG_1220.JPG
IMG_1220.JPG [ 103.67 KIB | Viewed 6888 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1221.JPG
IMG_1221.JPG [ 92.25 KIB | Viewed 6888 times ]

up in the air
Attachment:
IMG_1222.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG [ 102.36 KIB | Viewed 6888 times ]

rusty!
Attachment:
IMG_1228.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG [ 102.44 KIB | Viewed 6888 times ]

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

Last edited by blueturbofly on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:08 pm 

took about 2.5-3 hrs to drop tank. I have a good used tank from a metro my boys recently stripped apart, just had to change the pump and carrier. installed new pump, all new hoses and s/steel clamps, new fuel filter. sprayed undercoating/sound deadener under car before installing tank.
that was Saturday after work
sunday I go to leave home, going out fishing when I notice my right rear tire was almost flat :roll:
get back from a day fishing, back the car into my shop, remove tire to find a chunk of steel slightly punctured the tire. get out plug kit, fix tire. air all tires up to 40 psi, torque all the wheels.
found a blown fuse for the stereo, now I have tunes AND power mirrors......
just realized why the rear wiper doesn't work...... :blackeye: its not there :roll:
the back window was replaced with a glass without the wiper motor shaft hole.....that was fixed by them removing the arm and motor :huh:
I will use a extra turbo hatch I have, just need to paint it and fix the wiring on it. easier than swapping glass, plus I get a nifty looking mid-wing and window tint 8)

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:36 pm 

installed turbine tech front underbody brace 8) had to squeeze the frame horns together a bit to get it mounted
repaired front fog light drivers side(bad bulb) need a lens for the pass side. (smashed but still lights up)
pass side power mirror only works up and down, not in and out....?

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:40 pm 

blueturbofly wrote:
pass side power mirror only works up and down, not in and out....?

This might sound stupid, but try pushing you left and right mirror buttons really hard. Hah it might work

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:15 pm 

the controls operate the drivers side mirror fine, but I don't hear the motor on the pass side.....its set pretty good right now, maybe bad contacts or wire in mirror.....? the glass flops around while driving down the road, maybe it popped out of its socket.....

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:22 pm 
Suzuki Elder

stick a phillips screwdriver into the access hole in the bottom of the flag abd remove the screw. that releases the power unit. unplug the connector on the power unit and pull the cable through.

there are several things to look at. first, there are cast plastic tabs on the power head that fit slots in the steel frame you can see once the power unit has been removed. is the tabs are broken off it allows the power unit to squirm around without having anything against which it can gain leverage. friction can still clamp the mirror into the flag but the mirror won't move.

second, if the mirror just bounces around the escapement inside the power unit is probably broken internally.

in my experience, if the mirror wiggles it's easiest to just replace the power unit. getting one with a good mirror, likewise, is the easiest way to go. :wink:

i haven't had many wiring failures. my 2 verts didn't have dash harnesses that included power mirror wiring as they weren't an available option. when i installed swift mirrors on those cars i had to gut gt dash wiring harnesses. i had to unwrap the looms and get all the convoluted tubing loose to extract the mirror wiring without chopping it up. while i was doing that i got a good look at the wiring. basically, except where the wires go through the door frames and into the doors, none of the wiring recievces and movement. where the wires do pass from the cabin to the doors there are heavy duty boots that spread the movement over a 6" length as well as changing the movement of the wires from a bending action to a torsional (axial) motion to reduce work hardening of the copper.

let us know what you find. :huh:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:20 pm 

so far a full week with no issues other than what I already know about this car.
installed hid bi-xenon headlights. 8)
installed new 4 inch speakers in the front.
installed cob led dome lights.
new lugnuts for the wheels. pain in the ass, the current ones are 3 different sizes......was at my buddies tire shop and asked if he had more ''spline-drive'' lugnuts........he threw me a full box of fifty of them with 4 spline adapters as well! now I have matching lugnuts for all my cars! sweet! :D
still waiting for the timing belt..... :x

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:08 pm 

installed 2 out of 3 tinted windows in the rear. (from a donor car)
adjusted drivers door handle, now it pops open with one finger. lubed window slides/ regulator
replaced broken hood release handle (wasn't really broken, the roll pin was missing)
fixed those pathetic dome light switches.
and got a couple hours fishing at a local lake with the family
overall a great day.

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

Last edited by blueturbofly on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:04 am 
Suzuki Elder

oh yeah, fishing. :roll:

that sounds like a good excuse for drinking beers. :-P

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:34 am 

changed oil and filter. leaky crank and cam seals, those will be replaced when I do the timing belt (it finally showed up!)
changed oil in the trans. red gear lube came out (gm syncromesh ?) at first I tried some gl-5 quaker synthetic, but it did not shift as smooth as the red stuff that was in there. so I drained it again and put in some xm-5 oil stabilizer and quaker syncromesh. shifts smooth, but typical 1st to 2nd gear clashing at high revs/speed. when driven nice ( :-P ) it shifts fine.
the tps issue has gone away, it seems, after I put the new fuel pump in.
but it does not hold fuel pressure after the engine is shut off. it did hold 30 ish psi when shut off, but now it drops to zero at shut down. :huh:
also cranks over a long time before it fires (only when hot) the two issues must be related.
fuel pressure relief check valve?
new exhaust next week.
damn door light switches still giving me issues....most likely upgrade to the screw in type from the newer model swifts.
installed 100 watt h3 bulbs, but they don't seem any brighter. most likely needs a relay upgrade, the stock wiring can only handle so much..... :roll:

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:24 am 
Suzuki Elder

the fuel pressure leak down issue and the long cranking to get the engine started sounds like a leaky fuel injector problem. it may settle down after using a good fuel system cleaner (like techron) or it may require something more like sending the injector set out for ultrasonic cleaning and rebuild kits.

you may also have a fuel pressure regulator with a bad diaphragm. which injector rail is on your car? the early ones had an external regulator and return line and the later ones had internally mounted return lines.

i routinely replace the water pump and timing belt tensioner pulley while replacing the timing belt. that's also your best opportunity for replacing the front main seal and cam seals as you will have the whole front of the engine apart. :wink:

the dohc 16 valve engine is a marvelously robust engine but it does require certain maintenance. when everything is in order the twincam runs great but there are some little things that can give you fits. once you get things sorted out you'll love your gti.

in a number of ways i prefer the 89 model year gti. i like the dash better. i like the cup holder hetter. i prefer the lighter suspension damping and the smaller gauge sway bars. i like the velour seat fabric better than the tweed and brocaded fabric in the later model gt cars.

maybe the oddest preference i have is that i like the emblem on the intake manifold, attached with 4 screws, better than the glued on emblem that came on the mk3 gts. =)

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:12 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:

maybe the oddest preference i have is that i like the emblem on the intake manifold, attached with 4 screws, better than the glued on emblem that came on the mk3 gts. =)

i have 1991 mk2 (old dash, old seats,..) but on my intake it's not bolted "EPI" but it's as on mk3 "EFI" so not all mk2 had "old" intake, probably depend on market... mine is EU..

but just as you said.. MK2 with old dash, old bumpers and rear lights, old seats (with some red stripes in it - i really love those) is much better than mk3 :)

but i'm going too far (210/340 cams, chip, harder engine mounts, 4.9 FD, helical LSD,...) so stock mk2 suspension is just not enough anymore.. sometimes i really miss stock gti.. :roll:

ohh, and do your "bolted epi" intake have runners of same lenght than "mk3 efi"?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:28 pm 

just to clear my previous epi-efi post out... i was speaking of this "epi" intake, i thought only those had bolted "epi" plate on it..

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56682&p=432322&hilit=Gr+A+intake#p432322

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:49 am 
Suzuki Elder

this on a north american market mk2 twincam.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:23 am 

ohh so the only difference is bolted label?

i really want to find one with shorter runners for my engine :P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:23 am 

I have the same fuel rail as you, Richard......just not as pretty :oops:
since changing the fuel rail and injectors made the car run properly, I will check the original fuel rail for junk inside of it....after all it was on the car when that crappy gas tank was in it, might be full of rust particles and dirt.
it did hold fuel pressure after I changed the rail and injectors, but I still had that crappy gas tank in the car.....I did not know that the tank was shot until it started running terrible for me.....the gas that was coming thru the filter was a rusty color murkiness, so was the same for the gas at the fuel rail.... :x maybe I damaged or plugged up the new to me fuel rail :huh:

which leads me to another question......when storing/ parking a car, do you fill the tank full with gas and dump in your favorite additive(s)

or do you empty it completely and leave it be?

on 3 different swifts and at 3 different times filled the tanks full, added fuel stabilizer, drove them around to mix the fuel, then parked them and topped off the tank. a year or so later I go to move the car,they would crank but not fire...still full of gas...pumps not working, and rust inside the filler neck :huh: and rusty pumps or tanks once I got them out.... :x

but I noticed on the chevy sprint I bought 3 years ago, that when I removed the pump from the tank there was no rust on the pump or on the bottom of the tank, just a gummy residue (car was bought for $75 with a confirmed bad pump, p.o. gave up on the pump job,drained the tank and left wiring and hoses just hanging there )
:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:06 pm 
Suzuki Elder

on lawn mowers and small engines with plastic fuel components i run them dry before winter storage.

on cars i have always kept the fuel tanks full. in my area's climate the temp goes up and down overnight and passes through the dew point (vapor pressure point) and it causes condensation to form on the exposed inner walls of the gas tank. that condensation runs to the bottom of the tank where if acidifies and forms goo (varnish) and causes rust.

when a tank is full there is less free space for condensation to form.

the worst problem i had on a suzuki variant gas tank was from mice building a condo on it's top which covered the top with corrosive piss from the wee sneaking beasties. that tank had tiny pin holes all over. :-P

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:20 pm 

new 2.5'' exhaust from the manifold back; removed cat, re-used existing glass-pack, new ''turbo'' muffler. not as loud as before, was hoping for a little less noise. not bad around town, but when you open her up :twisted: she lets you know its a twincam 8)

yeah, the temperatures around here can swing pretty good in a day....2 weeks ago we had 3 days of frost, now this week it is 15~20 degrees above 0 in the morning, 32 c* at the high point of the day.....lots of dew on the vehicles in the morning.

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:38 pm 

just run the car whole year and there is no problems with condensation in fuel tank :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:24 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_1253.JPG
IMG_1253.JPG [ 519.07 KIB | Viewed 6146 times ]
winter wheels

summer wheels
Attachment:
IMG_1252.jpg
IMG_1252.jpg [ 398.63 KIB | Viewed 6146 times ]

got those silver ones from a Hyundai....not sure of the year...1999? not as much offset, nor as wide.
will do the job.
might paint them white. remove or fill in the Hyundai symbol on the center caps, not sure yet.
had a hell of a time finding these wheels, let alone any wheels. the whole auto wrecking, only one set of 14x4-4.5 to be found. lots of 13's and 15's. lots of 4 inch spacing. (Honda)
but I had new 14'' winters tires.
new steel wheels are pricey, from $49 to $80. but none to fit a gti....? 09-11 Nissan versa, direct fit.
these silver wheels cost me $80.

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:03 am 

so I went to fix the oil leak and replace the timing belt today.....had all the parts on hand, quick job......until I got to the crank seal....the ones I had on hand would not fit :huh: all 6 of them were wrong.....found one skf in my spare parts box, it was the right one. only one. could not find any in town, so I put the one in for the crank, but not the cams :roll: need the car up and running
timing belt was in rough shape (but was changed before)
new belt and idler. lower cover has lots of damage, rubbed thru from the pulleys.
still leaking oil from the cam, but not from the crank (that seal was popped out a bit, and had at least 5 cracks thru the lip, and was very stiff/brittle)
installed a ''peel and stick'' 125 watt heating pad on the side of the oil pan. lots of cleaning/ prep involved.
will know in the next few days how well it works.
next to find proper fitting cam seals, and install them next weekend :-P

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:31 pm 

before I changed the old belt, I noticed that the marks for the timing were off...crank dead on, but both cams were one notch out (forward ) :huh:
when I installed the new belt I rotated it over a few times by hand, the intake cam was fine but the exhaust cam was behind one notch, so I moved the exhaust cam one notch forward.
turned it over by hand a few times, each time the marks lined up perfect 8)
feels like the car pulls harder, but its hard to tell with all the snow and ice on the ground.
there was a tiny amount of ping before I changed the belt, now I hear none :D
the shitty thing is that I have to take it all back apart to do the cam seals.... :x
....but at least I cleaned it all, not as greasy to work on again :-P

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:16 am 
Island Inbreeder

well done on the belt repacement...
I was going to work on my GTI but shit got in the way and well ...its not the snow it the cold that pulls hard on this old body
checkout my H.U.D
.........jv&s

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:46 am 

did some tinkering on the command start....what a rats nest of wiring under the dash :x
found out the main power wire was simply had the casing stripped back (not removed) with three other wires wrapped around it :roll: letting the wires slide up and down the connection, arcing out along the way, causing the intermittent operation.
so I cut that ''connection'' out, installed a proper ''crimp and solder'' butt connecter. the battery in the key fob was low, so I put a new one in.
now I have command start, keyless entry doors and hatch 8) tied up the mess of wiring as best as I could.

now to figure out the hard starting issue....fine when cold, but even if I start it cold, shut it off then try again it cranks and cranks and then sputters to life, stepping on the throttle usually helps :huh:
I noticed it does not hold fuel pressure......before the fuel tank swap/ new pump install it was fine, it would hold pressure overnight.... I blew the lines out with low air pressure while the tank/pump/filter were out(rust from tank in lines), but maybe I damaged a regulator/ check valve when I did that :huh: still runs great, great on fuel, pulls hard to redline/fuel cut
I am thinking its the injector rail, not holding pressure after the engine is shut-off :huh:

3 tech turbo grind cam
gti brake swap
92 white metro lsi vert