TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:28 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:16 am 

Just a couple things first. Yes, Teeth, my spares were bought from Electro, i'm sorry you didn't get one. I wasn't aware of the deal or i could have asked him to hold one for you, but as it happens he didn't have as many as he first thought, this man has way more junk and spare parts and engines sitting in the dirt (literally) rotting away that anyone should and so he mistook a half covered/buried upside down 1.6 for a DOHC, and he refused to sell the only one he had left as he had a friend who wanted it. Again my apologies for missing out, it was a good deal.

Now, as for dknight1973, if you actually are serious about building a turbo GTI i think even with a really nice build, that kind of HP, 280- 300 hp is asking too much, besides, these cars are soo light anywhere near that kind of power you are likely to break something or being front wheel drive you could end up understeering into a tree @ 100mph and turning your astronomically expensive custom build into a pretzel with you still inside

dont just think of the raw power, think of the power to weight ratio. A Mitsu EVO VIII 3400lbs @ about 276 bhp, thats a fast car, has about the same power to weight ratio as a Swift GTI with 150 bhp because it weighs almost twice as much, by thy time you spent enough money building a swift that could handle 200 + bhp you probably could have bought a used EVO or at least a Neon SRT-4. But dont be disheartened, a GTI with between 120 - 160 bhp is a crazy quick little car, i would love to have an engine capable of that, that's essentially what i'm working on now.

Keep working on it, go slowly, ask lots of questions, buy the right parts, do all the research, dont try to skip or skimp on anything and you can build an amazing little car that you will love and will be better that any ricer or any douchebag in their daddy's mustang any day

now lets hope i can follow my own advice

1989 Suzuki Swift GTi, A work in progress as always.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:20 am 

there is also another new post of mine on the bottom of the last page if anyone missed it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:19 am 

I suppose i owe a few pictures now after all the yammering above, First up, the head of the 2nd spare engine. As i mentioned in November the block of my second spare looks to be in good condition, no corrosion and pitting like the first block so that's all when and good, however as you will see due to the fact this engine was setting upside down in the dirt without an oil cap when i rescued it, the intake cam looks pretty nasty and i'm not sure it can be rescued. I did my best with a wire wheel and some steel wool to get the rust off but it has a few minor but obvious rough spots, take a look and let me know if you think i can still run it.

Oh and also during one of my holiday projects i took some pictures proving what a great work vehicle the Swift makes :-P take a look.

Attachment:
IMG_20141125_223602_206_compressed.jpg
IMG_20141125_223602_206_compressed.jpg [ 491.9 KIB | Viewed 843 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20141125_223628_873_compressed.jpg
IMG_20141125_223628_873_compressed.jpg [ 476.35 KIB | Viewed 843 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20150105_195443_239_compressed.jpg
IMG_20150105_195443_239_compressed.jpg [ 403.8 KIB | Viewed 843 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20150105_195231_707_compressed.jpg
IMG_20150105_195231_707_compressed.jpg [ 468.65 KIB | Viewed 843 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20150105_195253_256_compressed.jpg
IMG_20150105_195253_256_compressed.jpg [ 301.99 KIB | Viewed 843 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20150105_195406_666_compressed.jpg
IMG_20150105_195406_666_compressed.jpg [ 336.01 KIB | Viewed 843 times ]

Thats the worst of it anyway, the last photo has very little pitting, it mostly just a stain on the bearing surface. Now for the random winter project pics

Attachment:
IMG_20141125_152415_096_compressed.jpg
IMG_20141125_152415_096_compressed.jpg [ 656.87 KIB | Viewed 843 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20141125_152441_639_compressed_compressed.jpg
IMG_20141125_152441_639_compressed_compressed.jpg [ 654.19 KIB | Viewed 843 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20141125_152455_124_compressed_compressed.jpg
IMG_20141125_152455_124_compressed_compressed.jpg [ 687.16 KIB | Viewed 843 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm 
Make love, not moderators

That is one rusty cam.

As long as the bearing journals are smooth and clean you should be okay. The lobes should be as clean as you can get them but ultimately running the engine will take care of cleaning them.

If your worried you could always use the cams from your first engine that you dismantled.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:45 am 

Ya, i was hoping to have a good set of cams that i could have reprofiled and another stock set in case i wanted to switch back for some reason. I might be able to salvage this pair and keep them as my stock set, as you can see only the intake was rusty and for as bad as it looked it was mostly just surface rust leaving little to no damage behind.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:48 am 

Well guys... I could use some advice. If at all possible i'd like a few helpful responses. Not to be a whiny D-bag but all to often questions on here go unanswered. I have paid penance by posting many pictures for everyone to inspect and silently criticize on just how unfocused they may have been. Now I'm really hoping for a little advice from those of you who have for the last 20 years been doing things to these cars that would cause any dealership to cringe and any tuner to smile :D .

Now for my questions, as you will soon see in yet more photos i have one good block that i have spent entirely too much time and money cleaning up and will likely spend more having it media blasted and clear coated so, point is i will be needing to figure out what to do about the internals. i have a number of options i am considering and i would like a few other opinions.

Firstly i am considering getting as many of my internal rebuild parts as i can from the dealership, the theory being, at least based my what i know about Honda's, that OEM parts like bearings are almost always better than the majority of the commonly available aftermarket engine parts / kits. From what i have found i can get standard size main and rod bearings as well as standard rings from suzuki for around $115 for all three, the don't have thrust washers however so i would have to get washers and a gasket set elsewhere :|

As for pistons, as they are in good shape and the cylinders are within spec i have considered just leaving them stock and getting good rings but i have seen a few other options that are tempting. first option i'm considering is boring to 75mm for the P29 honda pistons made to fit G13B that beachedbru is working on viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59386, current estimate is $400 for a set. The other thing i was looking at was a HP engine kit from http://www.importperformanceparts.net/i ... uzuki.html, they are a little pricey @ $900 but it does inculde alot. I haven't contacted them to see if they will still put together these kits but considering they do i'm having a hard time deciding what to do :huh:

I guess my main questions are (1) Do you think OEM parts a the way to go rather than a kit from amazon or wherever :?: (2) Do you think boring the engine and getting oversized higher comp pistons is worth the investment / will i really see much gain over stock :?: (3) what do you think of the HP kit, they would be standard comp pistons but i could get the thing bored and get the 75mm set :?:

I'm not looking to dump huge amounts of money into this project but i do want a hot little NA engine when i'm done :twisted: I do plan on sending a head to Mike @ 3Tech and have him go over it and grind me a nice set of cams so, with a good head and cams, a good 2" catback exhaust with a 4-1 header, A toms II chip (if i can ever find someone to solder in the socket without destroying the ECU), and a cheap but descent enough pod filter and aluminum ram intake, What would you guys decide for the engine?

If you managed to make it through this long ass post Please leave your input, criticism, hate mail, lewd jokes, & most importantly your advice and opinions below, I can use all the help i can get to decide.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:08 am 
Teamswift Racer

Before you go too far check your bores, both my engines are now oval :( , very very common for these engines to out of round, that will determine if you need to go overbore, the Honda P29 piston is the most commonly used piston since you can't get the factory high performance 11.5-1 'gti cultus' spec pistons in over sizes, It would be worth going in with beachedbru as the pistons do need to be modified correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:13 am 
Make love, not moderators

RSRichey wrote:
(1) Do you think OEM parts a the way to go rather than a kit from amazon or wherever :?:

You can't go wrong with OEM. As you said, the quality is great and it fits. Anything aftermarket including the pistons Levon is getting made, may not always work as intended. The problem is Suzuki has pulled out of north america so getting OEM parts might prove tricky. I can't comment on which aftermarket company to use for bearings and such, since when I did my rebuilds, I was able to use OEM parts and did so. There are other people on here that have experince with the after market bearings and they would be able to way in. I do believe Clevite are excellent. As for the thrust bearing, check your originals first. If they are within spec, I'd reuse them. I did on both my rebuilds that were high milage and never had any issues.

RSRichey wrote:

(2) Do you think boring the engine and getting oversized higher comp pistons is worth the investment / will i really see much gain over stock :?:

Yes AND No. It really depends on what you want from the car, and the fact that you are in Cali with their emission laws might limit what you can do. I would bore the engine and put a larger piston in there, but as for higher compression I would think twice. Higher compression can mean more pollutants coming out your tailpipe. That in itself though, with proper tuning can be minimized. With a slightly larger bore, I doubt you'd feel it in your butt, but with a larger compression and a larger bore, you'd feel something. The biggest changes in the engines personality will come from the changes to the cylinder head and cams if you get them done. That will definetely wake up the engine and turn it into a monster.

RSRichey wrote:
(3) what do you think of the HP kit, they would be standard comp pistons but i could get the thing bored and get the 75mm set :?:

I can't comment on this as I have never used it.

RSRichey wrote:

I'm not looking to dump huge amounts of money into this project but i do want a hot little NA engine when i'm done :twisted: I do plan on sending a head to Mike @ 3Tech and have him go over it and grind me a nice set of cams so, with a good head and cams, a good 2" catback exhaust with a 4-1 header, A toms II chip (if i can ever find someone to solder in the socket without destroying the ECU), and a cheap but descent enough pod filter and aluminum ram intake, What would you guys decide for the engine?

I would do exactly what you are doing. Keep the bottom end fairly stock since it is a well built unit, just bore it out and put larger pistons in so it is totally fresh. Focus on the head which makes a bigger difference and is more cost effective to do. You can drop huge money on the bottom end and only get marginal results, or spend good money on the head and cams and get a much better result.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:26 pm 

Awesome, thanks for the input so far. It sounds like it might be worth counting up my pennies and looking into getting some pistons