TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:44 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cold start issue.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:43 am 

My car is running really really well atm. Purrs like a kitten and all that the only issue I have is that when I start it up in the morning it doesn't want to idle until it gets warm. I turn the key and it cranks over immediatly rpms shoot up and then it immediatly dies. If I catch it with my foot on the gas and keep it from dying it runs just fine until it gets warm and then it idles just fine as well. Which issue do I look at to solve this. It would be great if it would idle when I first turn it on in the morning. Has only started doing this recently with the turn in colder weather.

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Boxed Rear Control Arms
Super Pro Poly Bushings
Genie Header
Nissan Intake Manifold
2 1/4" Exhaust
Turbine Tech Underbody Brace
Honda CRX Front Brake Calipers

Post subject: Re: Cold start issue.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:19 pm 
Suzuki Elder

it sounds like an idle air solenoid issue. that's mounted on the front of the intake manifold, far left.

it could also be the idle air valve. that's mounted on the rear of the intake manifold just right of the center line.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:03 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
it sounds like an idle air solenoid issue. that's mounted on the front of the intake manifold, far left.

it could also be the idle air valve. that's mounted on the rear of the intake manifold just right of the center line.

I'm trying to sort out just which one of these issues I have and how to tell. While I was poking around under the hood I discovered a ground wire that only has one end connected. Any ideas where the other end should be attached at and if it is causing me any grief...?

You can see in this picture I have an arrow pointing to the bolt that is holding the attached end. Anyone care to take a look at theirs and tell me where the other end goes? It has a quick disconnect in the middle of the wire and a loop on each end.

Boxed Rear Control Arms
Super Pro Poly Bushings
Genie Header
Nissan Intake Manifold
2 1/4" Exhaust

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:54 pm 

i think it goes to distributor or somewhere near that on engine..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:47 pm 

lukak wrote:
i think it goes to distributor or somewhere near that on engine..

I was sort of thinking that. Also I don't think the wire is an awful lot longer than would reach in that vicinity. However any pointers on exactly where to bolt it back up would be appreciated.

Boxed Rear Control Arms
Super Pro Poly Bushings
Genie Header
Nissan Intake Manifold
2 1/4" Exhaust

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:03 pm 

there should be another part, about same lenght with other side ot that connector..
orange one at this pic.. if you don't have this one connected then i guess it's this one..
http://s99.photobucket.com/user/JiveTon ... 3.jpg.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:34 pm 

lukak wrote:
there should be another part, about same lenght with other side ot that connector..
orange one at this pic.. if you don't have this one connected then i guess it's this one..
http://s99.photobucket.com/user/JiveTon ... 3.jpg.html

Ah yes! Well in my case the two pieces were connected and the bolt wasn't through the other end. Making it hard to just hunt for the unplugged connector. Anyways I unbolted that second bolt on top by the distributor and reattached the wire like it is in that picture. Probably won't help with my original issue, but it's nice to know it is back in the right place. :)

Boxed Rear Control Arms
Super Pro Poly Bushings
Genie Header
Nissan Intake Manifold
2 1/4" Exhaust

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:30 pm 

for those 2 things you should look into.. i circled tehm red in this picture
pic is not mine, i found it on internet as i didn't find any my pic with that ground wire.. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:17 pm 
Suzuki Elder

thanks for posting the pic lukak. :wink:

the idle air solenoid, iac, is on the front of the intake manifold with the blue electrical connector. those have a known failure mode where the little brass spring valve on top breaks.

the idle air valve on the rear of the intake manifold has coolant lines that run to it's body and an internal wax pellet that melts when the coolant temp reaches operating temperature. it has 2 steps of high idle plus the third step which is a normal idle at between 800 and 1000 rpm. those can get balled up.

on my red twincam vert i removed that valve and replaced it with a banking plate i bought from a member in australia. he has a listing the parts for sale section and has recently added new stock of the blanking plate. it neuters the fast idle when the engine is cold but it also completely cures idle surging caused by a bad idle air valve.

it also appears from your pic that your car has air conditioning and the adjustable idle air controller for that system which is mounted to the firewall. that's another idle air control that i ditch on my twincam cars. i don't use air conditioning and deleting that chunk simplifies the idle controls.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II