TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:16 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 89 DOCH No Start
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:48 pm 

I picked up an 89 Swift a few months ago. I got it for rebuilding some yamaha rhino motors for a guy. He told me the throttle position sensor was bad but it still ran. It tended to idle about 1500 rpm but after awhile would drop down to about 900 rpm. I drove it for a while then one day the timing belt blew and I ended up smashing a bunch of the valves. I cut the wire to the throttle position sensor to make it easier to pull the head since I was going to put a new one on. Well my the throw out bearing blew up in my truck so I couldn't get my hands on a new sensor. I spliced the wires together and called it good. Then I broke the top hose off of the idle air control valve. I happen to have a 1L geo motor on the floor so I pulled that off of that motor and threw it in the swift. I got it fired up but it would idle at 2500 rpm and then would drop to about 500 rpm and pick right back up. I had no choice but to drive it to work today. Made it there no problem, but on my way home it died. It was like I turned the key off while driving down the road. It has compression, spark, and fuel. Every once in a while it fires but wont stay running.

I can't figure out what is going on. I'm going to haul it back to my house tomorrow and make sure that it is still timed right. Could it be one either the throttle position sensor or the idle air control?

Or does anyone else have any ideas.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: 89 DOCH No Start
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:17 pm 

check for codes

put a fuse into the diagnostics port in the fusebox, (by clutch pedal) (its the only one thats raised) and watch for the check engine light flashing

flash...flash flash = 12 means everything is good

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:23 pm 

i think a bad tps would not shut the engine while running

check the rotor in distributor for properly tightened
remove #1 spark plug check crankshaft top dead center for being @ 0 deg on the crank pulley/timming cover (quick timming keyway check)

td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:55 pm 

I checked the rotor on the distributor and that all seemed good. I'm planning on checking the timing as soon as I get a chance to work on it again. I'll try the fuse thing also to see if I can find anything that way. The throw out bearing just blew up in my truck so I'm going to try to get that going first.

Also what would cause it to idle at 2500 rpm and then drop to maybe 300 and pick right back up again?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:41 pm 

Quote:
Also what would cause it to idle at 2500 rpm and then drop to maybe 300 and pick right back up again?

Bad or out of adjustment TPS...

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:33 pm 
Make love, not moderators

bfreeman09 wrote:
I checked the rotor on the distributor and that all seemed good. I'm planning on checking the timing as soon as I get a chance to work on it again. I'll try the fuse thing also to see if I can find anything that way. The throw out bearing just blew up in my truck so I'm going to try to get that going first.

Could be an air lock in the cold start valve.. it is on the back of the intake and has 2 small coolant hoses going to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:43 pm 

TheINCRide wrote:
bfreeman09 wrote:

Could be an air lock in the cold start valve.. it is on the back of the intake and has 2 small coolant hoses going to it.

:goodpost:

Check the compression.

Your story is fantastic. :shock:

How did you 'blow' the throw out bearing?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:07 pm 

Well I got the Swift back to the house, but haven't had much time to mess with it. It really wants to run when it has been sitting for awhile. It fires but wont stay running no matter what I do.

Saturday I dropped the transmission on my Dodge and had it thrown back together in about 10 hours. I forgot to order a new slave and master cylinder for the clutch though so it will sit until Tuesday night. The bearing was going bad and I knew it was but since I was still waiting for parts for the Swift I had no choice but to drive it. Then one day it just wouldn't go into gear no matter what I did. I looked into the drain in the bottom of the bellhouse and all the balls from the bearing were sitting right there. The bearing came out in pieces I'll take a couple pictures of it when I get back out there to finish it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:10 pm 
Island Inbreeder

I see Your new that's great. Welcome to the forum
. Your saying your swift is not running properly
Two words " KEY WAY"....................... thank you and have a great day...jv&s
and if I could add.
If you can't find the answer your looking for
there is another site that might be more helpful
geometroforum.com

these gift should In no-way refect your post
this is how I feel when someone asked what could be an issue when the Suzuki swift DOHC doesnot run properly
then I reply

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".