TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:11 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:55 am 

Hi all, I need some help...

I've been suffering with a little (BIG really) problem that arises after the car has warmed up and idling for while... If I am in traffic with the Aircon on, it's much worse...

Whenever I put my foot on the accelerator, the car will roll off and as soon as i get to 2500 or 3000 rpms with the AC on, it feels like there's a secondary limiter kicking in and cutting power... If i put my foot down, it only makes the issues worse and the car wants to drop all power... with the AC of, the "limiter" may come on at 4000 rpms and drop dramatically when I give it some throttle and when i come off the throttle, it will sometimes make a low "pop" in the tail pipe... Then, the issues goes away while driving and then reappears... A few days ago it got so bad i had to pull over trying to climb a gentle slope... If the car is in neutral while i am seeing the engine will rev freely up 6000 rpms and cut.

Any ideas what may be causing this? I am assuming the ECU might be cutting ignition for some reason or another, but i am not sure...

regards
Alien

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:19 am 

Check the tps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:08 pm 
Make love, not moderators

Sounds like it is running too rich.

Did the pop from the tailpipe sound a bit like a back fire?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:37 pm 

crnolic wrote:
Check the tps

I will... I checked for any error codes this evening and found (code 12)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:41 pm 

TheINCRide wrote:
Sounds like it is running too rich.

Did the pop from the tailpipe sound a bit like a back fire?

The fumes are bit strong when i come to a stop, but I'm not sure how rich it's running... didn't sound like a backfire at all... just multiple low volume pops... I have heard them a few times on restart...

Alien

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:07 pm 
Make love, not moderators

If the fumes are strong, you may be running rich.

To be honest it is going to be a bitch to sort out... Start by testing the TPS like Cronlic suggested.. It could also be a MAF sensor not reading right..

It seems like lately A LOT of people are having injector issues for one reason or another (myself included) so I wouldn't be surprised if that was an issue too.

Our ECU's are funny sometimes.. They don't always pickup on what we would consider to be a bad sensor...

The strange thing for me is, this happens AFTER it is warmed up and driving for a while right? If so your best to do your diagnosis at that time and not when the engine is cool and running normal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:07 pm 
Island Inbreeder

spark plugs my friend .!

Either gap to wide or the plugs are shit
replace spark plugs
check unside distributor cap and rotor for arc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:12 pm 

Yeah... doesn't sound that simple to trace :(...

Early I went for a drive... got in, turned over and 'pop pop' came from the tail and intake... It didn't fire up, then some smoke from the bonnet... opened the lid to see what was happening and saw nothing burning ... then using the flashlight, i saw small whips of smoke escaping from the air filter... removed the hose coming from the crank and saw the intake was filled with a smoke... Not sure if it came from the crank or that was an official result it 'backfiring'... it took a few turns to get her fired up and she ran fine for a while then started acting up again :(...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:16 pm 

jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
spark plugs my friend .!

replace spark plugs

Hmmmm... My first thought was the distributor, but I didn't look at it... I will have the plugs checked too...

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:24 am 

jaguar,vettes&sprints wrote:
spark plugs my friend .!

replace spark plugs

at the same time you can check spark plugs color..

white = too much air
brown = right mix
black (or even wet) = too much fuel

with that you can easy see if problem is in air or fuel (maf, tps, ecu, fuel pressure, injectors,..)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:32 am 

Hi Lukak... thanks... I will have a close look at them...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:11 pm 

Hi all... so after searching, installing new plugs and getting frustrated... The problem worsened and left me on the side of the road... only after having the car rest for a while I fired it up and made a dash for home... almost there, the car was loosing power again... I turned off the audio to listen for and sound from engine or tail, i suddenly notice that there was a little power again... turned the audio on again and the power dropped... hmmmmm... could it be that simple? It turns out that the alternator was on it's last and it was trying to send a message all this time... Made a lot of sense when i thought about it... When the alternator was having issues, the batt took over and in most cases could not handle the amp draw from ignition, fuel injectors and fuel pump... Every time it fail and I wanted a little power, the batt just could not produce the amps required... Luckily, I purchase a cs130 105AMP Alternator some time ago... Had it installed and the car is alive again... properly!!! ... I did not realize there was so much power loss while the older alternator deteriorated...

I appreciate all the inputs and learned a little more about this car...

Thank all!
Alien