TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:08 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Dirty MAF?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:11 am
Posts: 6
Location: Argentina
Hey guys, i have a mk3 swift gti 1993, i dont have a CEL light on but if i do the scan i get the 3-3 error, which is the MAF, my idle is kinda rough, and im guessing its the maf, could it be that its just dirty and i need to clean it up?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty MAF?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:07 pm 
Offline
Island Inbreeder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:56 pm
Posts: 6347
Location: Emerald city Washington
Dirty injector's.?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty MAF?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:14 pm 
Offline
Suzuki Elder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:47 pm
Posts: 11669
Location: columbus, ohio
use an o2 sensor safe maf cleaner and wash the hot wire and the sensor wire. they tend to collect an oily residue that changes the sensitivity of the device.

i clean the maf sensor on my twincam engine twice a year. the sensor safe cleaners aren't chlorinated so there's no erosion of the sensor wires or plastic housing.

it works on the throttle body, too.

_________________
1991 Blue Geo Metro Convertible highly modified 1.0L Turbo3 5 spd. - 1991 Red Geo Metro Convertible customized with a Twincam 5 spd.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty MAF?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:11 am
Posts: 6
Location: Argentina
Ok, so ive cleaned the MAF and the throttle body, now its throwing me code 1-2 so its OK back again, but i keep having my idling problem, when warm it runs at 2000rpm with the idle screw closed, so i cant get it lower than that, which could be my case? If i disconnect one of the iac valve hoses it idles low back again... but if i cover the hole from which i took the hose off with my finger idle raises back again to 2000rpm, any guess? thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty MAF?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:18 am
Posts: 212
Location: Slovenia
try cleaning cold start valve.. maybe it's stuck open..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty MAF?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:02 pm 
Offline
Suzuki Elder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:47 pm
Posts: 11669
Location: columbus, ohio
the idle stop screw is factory adjusted to allow the throttle plate to return to a position that is just short of rubbing the id walls and jamming. you aren't supposed to adjust that stop.

the other thing that happens when you twiddle with the idle stop is that it takes the throttle position switch out of adjustment.

follow the workshop procedures given in the factory service manual for adjusting both the throttle stop screw and the tps.

when the tps is out of adjustment you get idle issues and that might very well be your problem.

_________________
1991 Blue Geo Metro Convertible highly modified 1.0L Turbo3 5 spd. - 1991 Red Geo Metro Convertible customized with a Twincam 5 spd.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty MAF?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:11 am
Posts: 6
Location: Argentina
t3 ragtop wrote:
the idle stop screw is factory adjusted to allow the throttle plate to return to a position that is just short of rubbing the id walls and jamming. you aren't supposed to adjust that stop.

the other thing that happens when you twiddle with the idle stop is that it takes the throttle position switch out of adjustment.

follow the workshop procedures given in the factory service manual for adjusting both the throttle stop screw and the tps.

when the tps is out of adjustment you get idle issues and that might very well be your problem.



No, i dont mean that screw, i know i dont have to touch it, i mean the one that adjusts the airflow you let inside the throttle body... And yes, this weekend ill check my cold start valve and tps, thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty MAF?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:18 am
Posts: 212
Location: Slovenia
tomicardenas wrote:
t3 ragtop wrote:
the idle stop screw is factory adjusted to allow the throttle plate to return to a position that is just short of rubbing the id walls and jamming. you aren't supposed to adjust that stop.

the other thing that happens when you twiddle with the idle stop is that it takes the throttle position switch out of adjustment.

follow the workshop procedures given in the factory service manual for adjusting both the throttle stop screw and the tps.

when the tps is out of adjustment you get idle issues and that might very well be your problem.



No, i dont mean that screw, i know i dont have to touch it, i mean the one that adjusts the airflow you let inside the throttle body... And yes, this weekend ill check my cold start valve and tps, thanks!


you mean the screw that bypass throttle body plate for setting how high your idle rpm will be..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty MAF?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:11 am
Posts: 6
Location: Argentina
lukak wrote:
tomicardenas wrote:
t3 ragtop wrote:
the idle stop screw is factory adjusted to allow the throttle plate to return to a position that is just short of rubbing the id walls and jamming. you aren't supposed to adjust that stop.

the other thing that happens when you twiddle with the idle stop is that it takes the throttle position switch out of adjustment.

follow the workshop procedures given in the factory service manual for adjusting both the throttle stop screw and the tps.

when the tps is out of adjustment you get idle issues and that might very well be your problem.



No, i dont mean that screw, i know i dont have to touch it, i mean the one that adjusts the airflow you let inside the throttle body... And yes, this weekend ill check my cold start valve and tps, thanks!


you mean the screw that bypass throttle body plate for setting how high your idle rpm will be..


Sorry if i you dont understand, im from Argentina and i speak Spanish, so i dont really know the actual names in English, but i mean the screw that is on top of the throttle body, which you adjust with a flat screwdriver, beside the tps


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty MAF?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:41 am 
Offline
Suzuki Elder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:47 pm
Posts: 11669
Location: columbus, ohio
that screw you describe is set from the factory to provide the minimum clearance for the throttle plate NOT the idle speed. there are specific warnings against changing that screw's factory set adjustment.

whenever you change the throttle plate's angle it changes the adjustment of the throttle position sensor so you have to re-adjust the tps whenever you change the throttle stop position.

the tps signal allows the ecu to operate it's injection mode to proportion fuel. at idle, the signal from the tps tells the ecu the throttle plate is fully closed and the ecu fires the injectors accordingly. when the throttle shaft moves, the tps comes off it's idle setting and the ecu starts to fire the injectors to increase engine revs matching injected fuel to match the increased air flow through the throttle body.

if you use the correct idle screw, the one that rests against the pneumatic dash pot, it changes the position of the tps and takes it off it's idle set point so you have to reposition the tps to put the idle position back where it belongs.

i highly recommend using the instructions for these adjustments found in the factory service manual. :wink:

_________________
1991 Blue Geo Metro Convertible highly modified 1.0L Turbo3 5 spd. - 1991 Red Geo Metro Convertible customized with a Twincam 5 spd.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group