TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:32 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:04 pm 

So after the mechanic replaced the old cino gearbox with a gti rebuilt gearbox yesterday, the car started and was reving so high at 3k rpm then drops at 1500 rpm.

Suddenly developed an aversion... Had constant stalling, and bucking/lurching on coastand the problem seems to have gotten worse.

Last night, after it sat for hours, I headed out into the cool night, and it was just horrible. Stalling, lurching, just miserable. Each time I'd come to a stop, heel & toe just to keep it from dying. Lightly smacking the gas pedal 4 - 6 times would often restore the idle.

Frustrated, I pulled over, and disconnected the plug from the TPS. Engine stumbled for a second, I got an immediate CEL, then it settled into a slightly high idle, about 1100 rpm.

Drove off, and it's like a new car - idle pretty solid, not perfect, but didn't come close to dying even once. Coasting was fantastic - smooth, just perfect.

So, did my TPS get cooked? Is something else going on?

My understanding was that the TPS is only used to detect WOT and idle... Is this correct?

Any and all diagnostic assistance welcomed!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:17 pm 

Yes , take it back to that mechanic and have him find out what he f...ed up. Then he can fix it and you are off with great running car and new transmission :D

Obviously he didn't reassemble something properly. Unplugged , pinched wires and vacuum hoses. Didn't drive the car afterwards to make sure its OK. Crappy mechanic all around I'd say. :?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:42 am 

Don't know why he would have touched anything at all on the throttle body.

Don't know what year your talking about, but ISC valve, or more probable is the air by pass valve. If he drain the fluid when he had the transmission out, there might be some air left up in the valve not allowing it to fully open under the warmed up temperature. While my car is coming up to temperature and the idle is slowly dropping it will keep trying to idle back up and down, bucking a little. The whole point of the air by pass valve is to warm up the car faster by bringing up the idle when it is cold. The TPS and ISC and air by pass valve can be checked quite quickly to see if they are working. I'm too tired at the moment to dig out the FSM for the procedures.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:58 am 

Will definitely bring it back to the mechanic on Monday, he might have adjusted the throttle stop crew which upsets the TPS.

It is safe to drive without the tps connected?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:41 am 

ECM will run in fail-safe function ignoring the no signal or faulty signal for Water temp, tps, speed sensor, air flow sensor, and cpu in the ecm. Yes it will run. The throttle stop screw should never be adjusted. Literally adjusting it a .01" will throw the tps out of whack. Now he will have measure the resistance across the ground terminal(C) and terminal B (voltage out). It should read 0-2 kohms at idle position, and 3.5 - 6.5 kohms when throttle valve is fully opened. Resistance should also be 0-500 ohms between C and D when throttle lever stop screw is .012 in shimmed.

four terminals (for manual):

A voltage in
B voltage out
C ground
D idle

if connector tab is up, it will go top left is A, top right is D, bottom left is B, bottom right is C. This info is from a 91 FSM.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:53 am 

TPS has been re calibrated, its all good. :)