TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:54 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: cam timing
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:33 pm 

Hi i need your help as i try to understand cam timings.
The cultus specs are

Cultus / 1074C / 1075C:
I - 8 BTDC 36 ABDC duration 224 (192), lift 8.0mm,
E - 42 BBDC 10 ATDC duration 232 (198), lift 8.0mm, overlap 18

So i used the intake gear on the E mark position advancing the intake 4 degrees.I also skipped a tooth on the exhaust gear on using E mark thus retarding exhaust by 4.5 degrees.(I tooth is 360/40=9degrees crank =4.5 degrees cam).
So what are the new I - 8BTDC and 36 ABDC / E -42 BBDC and 10 ATDC ??
Is this good or i should put the exhaust gear on its normal position?I think on leaving the E mark on intake and putting an extra hole on the exhaust gear to advance in about 2 degrees.Is this good to low rpm torque?

Post subject: Re: cam timing
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:22 pm 

One tooth does not equal 4.5 degrees

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:14 pm 

1.3 litre dohc 16v engine don't have low rpm torque.. actually there's no torque at all..
buy adjustables cam gears and do it proper way..

as much as i know
I - 8 BTDC 36 ABDC duration 224 (192), lift 8.0mm,
intake cam, open at 8 degree before top dead centre (piston) and close 36 degree after bottom dead centre. duration is 224 degree (piston from top to bottom need 180 crank degree, so 180 + 8 (before top) + 36 (after bottom) is 224 degree) 192 in bracket is stock duration. lift 8.0mm is how much is cam max lift..

same for exhaust.. overlap is time in degrees when both, intake and exhaust valves are open.. increasing overlap increase high rev HP.

i'm not expert on those things.. but i want to understand how things work so i read alot about it.. still there may be mistakes in what i said..
and i don't think that just putting cam few degrees advanced or retarded is right way to do it.. there are special tools to do that.. and that's why you have that 8 degree BTDC.. to know how to set cam..

not sure for G13B but 1 tooth is pretty close for valve to hit piston.. and you have 0.5mm more lift on cam than stock so you're really close..

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:46 am 

suprf1y wrote:
One tooth does not equal 4.5 degrees

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php? ... 5&start=25

Ok i understand that is 9 crank degrees because we already speak for cam degrees(40 teeth)
Could you explain me what is my exhaust timing now off a tooth?And how i cam get a new exhaust position mark in the stock cam gear?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:52 pm 

well if you read the topic you linked.. it say that 1 tooth on cams is 18 degrees crank... and there is about 15 degrees of "space" before piston and valves will hit eachother on stock engine..

with stock pulleys the only way it's grinding & welding to set another fixed offset..
but again, why not buying adjustable pulleys??

that can give you idea about how much offset you need for 2 or 4 degree.. and how much is 1 tooth :D