TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:18 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:22 pm 

Hi, since my original pipe broke at the middle where the support is welded to the pipe, i will take advantage of that and apply a stainless pipe. Can you guys give me some help in this? Whats is the original size and what is the best size for a car that just has 4-1 headers, intake, and some other minimal mods? I would like to keep the original mufler is there any problem with it? I really like the sound it makes, a complete stainless pipe with the right size can give any hp?

(My car is a mk3 gti without catalyst)

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:55 am 

Most of the hp gain would be in the header itself. There are some complicated mathematics involved in performance for an na header. By the time the exhaust enters the exhaust pipe the diameter restrictions are less important. I would first ask if you at any point would turbo charge the engine. If not I would go with 2" inside diameter. It will be sufficient probably up to a 12:1 compression ratio with the largest oversized piston you could go with. If you are turbo charging I would go with 2 1/2" from o2 housing back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:07 am 

No plans for turbo at least for now.
So 2" pipes, what about the muffler? Is the stock one too restrictive?

The best is to leave it straighed piped until the muffler right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:42 am 

Will change from 1.75 to 2" make the car too loud? The sound right now is really nice, at idle it is really quiet, and after 2500rpm is pretty loud, the way i like.
I have a bosal resonator just in case, but i'm afraid i will lose power

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:24 pm 

The muffler will determine the decibel level (loudness) a lot more than .25" of piping difference. I have a straight through muffler right now and it is a little louder than I would like. I also have 2" from the cat back. If you like the sound now I would keep the muffler. You pretty much will have to follow the stock routing for the exhaust. There is a possibility of taking out the 90 degree bend and putting in two 45. I would think of this as a longevity upgrade verse and substantial horsepower gain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:29 am 

What about changing the pipes inside the muffler to a bigger ones?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:24 pm 

Just change muffler. Pipes inside muffler could not be changed unless you took muffler apart.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:40 pm 

If i change the muffler the sound would be way too loud, cops were are really mad. And with stock look of the exhaust it would be unnoticed for the cops. I will open it, and then i will post some photos for you guys

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:09 pm 

Please post some pic's, I also like the stock muffler, and i want to improve the pipe size.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:36 pm 

I have a 2" press bent exhaust on my car along with a cultus (4-1) header and the stock muffler. Its quiet enough under 3000rpm, but over that it screams! Gives good performance, but I dont know how much hp I leave on the table for the sake of quiet and stealth. Having said that, the jdm cultus makes 115hp with the same muffler, so I dont know. Maybe someone else can share some more light on the topic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:52 am 

not much info.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:50 pm 

I have genie 4-2-1 header, 2.25" exhaust, 12" resonator (glasspack style tube resonator) going to a magnaflow single in single out muffler. Very quiet at idle. Nice rumble idle with 3tech cams. At WOT it doesn't have that horrible pissed bumble bee fart sound.....more of sport bike with stock exhaust 10k rev sound