TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GTI rear engine mount
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:33 pm 

I'm pulling the engine in my '89 GTI. The rear engine mount has been a source of trouble. If I read the factory manual correctly, there is only one bolt holding the mount to the firewall. That has been removed. Attempts to hoist the engine leave the engine pivoting on the rear mount. The top of the mount seems to be loose, but the bottom of the mount seems firmly attached to the body. All other mounts, wires, shift rods, connections, etc have been disconnected

Is there a second bolt I missed underneath? Is the mount hung up on something? Is there some mysterious procedure not mentioned in the manual? I'd greatly appreciate any help.

If this is a topic which has been discussed before, I was unable to find it in a search. Thanks!

Terry
'89 GTI & '94 XFI

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:03 pm 
Make love, not moderators

The mount is made of 2 pieces.

One part that bolts to the firewall is held by 2 bolts. One on top and one on the bottom.

The other part bolts to the engine through a bracket.

You can seperate the 2 halves of the engine mount by removing the long bolt that passes through it sideways. It is a vary long bolt. You will need a 14mm socket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:41 pm 

The long bolt has a nut on the other end which must be held to keep from spinning. You will need to relieve engine weight for the bolt to come out easily. Soaking first with penetrating fluid will help.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:42 pm 

The engine is out at last! Many thanks to suzukitom and theINCRide for the help. The manual stated "remove the rear mounting from the body." Doing it the way the manual indicates involves going underneath to remove the second body bolt. It's in a really difficult spot. Unfortunately, the manual said nothing about removing the long bolt to separate the body side of the mount from the engine side. Separating the parts of the mount is a whole lot easier than what the shop manual indicated. Now it's time to start getting the spare engine ready to drop in. Thanks again guys.
Terry