TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:08 pm 

The engine is out of the '89 GTI and the spare engine is sitting in front of the car. Now seems to be the time to make those preventative fixes which will be so difficult when the engine is back in. The spare engine ran when it came out of the rusted donor car. However, it has been sitting in the garage for about eight years. The car has also sat an equal amount of time.

Since I'm a newbie to working on the GTI, I'm unfamiliar with possible trouble areas. Things like replacing all the vacuum lines, new throw out bearing (even if the clutch looks good) are obvious. Are there other areas which I need to address before putting the engine and transmission back in?

Thanks
Terry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:53 pm 
Island Inbreeder

in or out recon the piston rings and glans and cylinder walls also valve lap and seals and crank and cam seals
about $60 in parts the Front/Rear crank seal is the tuff-est in the car

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:45 pm 
Make love, not moderators

I'd replace every gasket and seal, new water pump, and timing belt.

Also make sure the crank turns over freely with a ratchet and have the spark plugs out to make it easier on ya.

Double check every rubber hose to make sure they aren't cracked and if they look like they might be, replace.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:49 pm 

Before you install clean where the grounds bolt into place. Especially the one on back if intake! Like has been said front and rear crank seals,cam seals water pump,timing belt,also put a little oil in to every cylinder then turn engine over to get top end lubed. New starter, and alternator would be easier while it is being installed. Especially the alternator.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:30 am 

Pull the calipers, hang them on the springs and spin the front hubs.
Listen carefully for any differences side to side.
If one side is loud compared to the other, you probably need new wheel bearings.

It would be SO easy to do at this point, compared to later.

Clean the firewall and engine compartment.

If it needs new shocks, now would also be a good time to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:18 pm 

Many thanks to all of you who offered help. The GTi was on the road this afternoon. That's the first time in eight years. The engine was a simple (Did I actually say, 'simple'?") swap of an engine from a parts car which had been running when wrecked. We lubed the tops of cylinders, did compression test and turned it over by hand before firing it. Timing belt was replaced, new seals on crank and differential. New clutch, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing. Lots of cleaning and checking. We replaced questionable hoses. Didn't replace the water pump, but did put on a fresh starter. I REALLY don't want to go back there with the engine in. Wheel bearings and cv joints were checked by a mechanic buddy who gave them a thumbs up. There were a lot of questionable bolts replaced. Hopefully no nasty surprises will pop up.

Next move will be to start thinking about upgrades. The engine we pulled will be rebuilt. Not sure if we want to go turbo or all motor. Suspension will need attention. Ultimately we would like to strip the body and rebuild it from ground up. That, however, is another thread for another time. For now, it's great to have it back on the road.

By the way, when I say "We" that refers to my wife who was with me every step of the rebuild. I doubt that many wives know what a TPS or ISC are. She does. Great lady.

If I can figure out how to post pictures I will. My brain needs a rest before tackling another new challenge.

Terry